PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by keyser, Jul 8, 2001.

1. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I´m thinking of upgrading my system, and getting the Yamaha AX-2(is it a big minus that it doesn´t have "pro-logic2") and a Definitive Tech Proseries80 (can´t I get the proseries 100), what would be the BEST way to connect this system? Do I connect the speakers to the sub and the sub to the amp or connect the sat´s as fullrange speakers straight to the amp? How would I connect a sixth sat for the ex channel, is that even possible? (wouldn´t a def tech bipole in the back be a good idea, especially because the rear wall is right up to my sofa)? When there´s a back speaker for the ex channel, how is it used when there is not an ex source, if it uses the same sound as the back(side) surrounds, then doesn´t it ruin the stereo seperation in the surrounds? And lastly, why are the video connection in the amp, don´t I connect everything to my tv, and what is a "component" input, I know what scart is and S-VHS but never heard of compenent which I´ve read is the best. All help is really appreciated, because I live in Iceland and info is hard to comeby and I can´t really see the systems in action, and please explain all this to me like I´m a two year old.
    THANKS.

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: keyser ]

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I assume the speaker package consists of normal speakers and an active sub.
    If so, connect all speakers to the amp (using speaker cable) and the sub to the amp using phono/RCA cable (line level) only.
    The AV amp will take care of the bass management then (and Yamaha's are pretty flexible at that normally).

The 6th speaker has a dedicated output at the rear of the amp, I think Yamaha calls it 'center rear'.
    You should have a few feet behind you to benefit from Ex/Es decoding which btw should be activated automatically according to a flag on the DVD. Therefore with non-Ex/Es material the center rear should keep quiet.

The video connections do have a purpose: it allows to switch the picture together with the sound when you change from e.g. DVD to VCR without that you need to select another channel at the TV.
    However note that you must use a common connection for all sources, so when the VCR can only do normal video (composite) then the DVD must also use composite, there is no conversion from composite to S-Video (or vice versa) - else two inputs on the TV must be connected.

This is more or less a matter of convenience, a direct connection using RGB (via Scart) will give the best picture.

Explanation of the different video norms:

Component: most common in the US (and perhaps Asia) and found one some projectors, slowly to be introduced on European models, especially with progressive scan equipment.
    The picture on DVD is actually stored in component format.
    Though the connectors are red, green and blue colored it is not to be confused with ...

RGB (usually via Scart): RED-GREEN-BLUE, similar if not equal quality to component, usually found only in Europe (Audio/Video) and PC monitors (5-pin, RGBHV).
    RGB signals directly drive the CRT (tube) in the display device.

S-Video (not S-VHS): comes close to RGB, 5-pin DIN connector or via Scart.
    Color and brightness information are carried in seperate wires. Some prefer S-Video over RGB.

Composite: normal video, contains color and brightness information in one wire (yellow RCA/phono) - worst quality

SCART is not a video norm, merely a connector/cable type while S-VHS refers strictly to Super-VHS VCRs only.

If you have a lot's of video sources you should make use of the amps video switching facility, but try to use S-Video at least (I assume component is not an option for you).
    You can also use the component video switching for RGB using adapter cables though an additional composite connection might be needed for the synchronisation signal.

[ 09-07-2001: Message edited by: Reiner ]

3. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks. Is it possible to connect my dvd player scart rgb through the amp? If I connect my dvd and my nintendo 64(soon to be Gamecube) S-video through my amp, and my vhs video composite to the amp, wouldn´t that be ok, I would just have to use 2 scarts on my tv right, on for the S-video signal and one for the composite. Have you ever heard the Definitive Tech pro series, I was thinking of getting them? I think the Kef system is ugly and the mission fs2 just doesn´t have that room shaking bass. Thanks again.