1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help...

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by jumbopants, Apr 30, 2005.

1. jumbopants

jumbopants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I need to take the rgb out from the sky box and split into 2, one to feed the tv downstairs and the other to feed the lcd in the bedroom so both TV's can be on at the same time, both have rgd in on the tv's. I purchased a vivanco box which will do the job but produces a very poor picture on one of the sets when both are connected, the vivanco is only 1 day old but I think it's either faulty or is of very poor quality. Any advice much appreciated

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Most of the cheap SCART splitters use passive splitting which doesn't work too well. You need a distribution amplifier like the SCAMP2 from Keene Electronics which is a 1:2 SCART distribution amplifier. Before ordering this product, I would ring Keene to confirm that it does RGB, because there doesn't appear to be any spec on the web page. It costs £39.99 inc. VAT.

Maplin Electronics also do a 4-output model (L77AR) for £49.99. Both of these are powered devices, so you might also need a power adaptor if it is not already supplied.

The poor picture could also be caused by a long RGB feed cable. Try using a shorter cable to see if it makes a difference. A distribution amp could work better with a long cable, but I'm afraid it will be a case of "suck it and see".

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    JumboPants

Nick UK is correct in that Splitting the signal is only Half the Problem - though a big one as most 'low cost' solutions are Pants!

Assuming a decent SCART splitter can be had for less than silly money (a B-Tech Quintro+ is around £60.00 and does a good job) how long are the cable runs you require?

Best regards

Joe

4. jumbopants

jumbopants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    A big thanks to Joe and Nick for the replys, I e-mailed - http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/dynamic/home.html

And gave my set-up to them and what I wanted to do/achieve prior to purchasing anything, on there advice I purchased the -

Profigold PGV7820 20m HQ Flat Scart Cable PLUS- £75.00
    AV Control Box (3 scart) - Full RGB!!! Vivanco SBX-94SE £20.00

I have a Toshiba 42wh36 downstairs in the living room next to my sky box which I have a 1.5mtr Thor scart going into to from the RGB out of the sky box. I have just purchased a Acer AL2671W LCD for the bedroom that I have hung off the wall. In order to get the best possible picture to the LCD I wanted to be able to split the rgb out from the sky box downstairs and run 1 RGB to the Toshiba RPTV and then the other rgb to the lcd upstairs. If I plug the 20mtr scart direct into the sky box and plug into the lcd upstairs the picture is excellent with RGB showing on the lcd plus in the settings, if I plug the Thor scart direct into the sky box box the picture on the Toshiba 42" is excellent. As soon as I introduce the vivanco scart box is when the problems start..

I can get a picture on both sets at the same time but the picture on the LCD will turn RED ! If I go into the settings on the LCD and change the setting from RGB to AV the picture is then OK but it's not RGB and the difference on the LCD when RGB is fed direct from the sky box is amazing. The picture on the Toshiba downstairs is degraded aswell, and is nowhere near as good as when they are fed direct into the RGB out of the sky box, which leads me to believe that it's not RGB. Visualaudioline recommended this box to me saying it would do the job that I described in detail to them via 3 different e-mail, Is the box faulty I wonder ! Or is it just rubbish ? This box is surpose to be fully RGB but just will not enable me to produce 2 RGB scarts out at the same time to watch the 2 simultaneous.
    I have e-mailed Visualaudioline on Friday but as yet have not had an answer back ! Will be intesting to see what they suggest as they were the ones who said to buy it...
    I'm gona wait to see what they say, but looks like that I'm flogging a dead horse, I've tried loads of different combinations to make this work, but looks like I'm gona have to buy another. Just hope they will take it back ! I know it's only 20 notes but It's the principle/time and effort to try and get something that would never in a million years do the job I intended it to do, i would have gladly paid the extra for one that does the job and only purchased on there sayso....TBC....

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    jumbopants

If the SCART Distribution box is a 'passive' design your basically splitting the Input signal into two half voltage Output signals - bad enough on short cable runs and a big No No on long cable runs.

Best regards

Joe

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The Vivanco box sounds too cheap to be anything other than passive. You will definitely need a powered amplified splitter. If the supplier gave you bad advice, they are obliged to take it back.