Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by mattwaddy, Jan 23, 2005.

Tags:
  1. mattwaddy

mattwaddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi there, im not very knowledgeable about AV equipment so you will have to bare with me here.

I have just set up my gran a new JVC VHS player. I have set it up using the Scart and RF connections, but im getting a really wierd problem. She lives in an area where she gets bad recepton for ITV and channel 5, through her tele usually.

The weird thing is that when i view the tele through the video on the av channels all channels have very bad ghosting and a large line type thing toward the right hand side. But even weirer is that ITV is clear and fine as is channel 5.

What would cause it to reverse the reception when viewing through the video? She currently has a booster midway on the antenna cable.

Any ideas, i could do with sorting it ASAP

2. navito

navito
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt

I'm a newbie here, but I'd like to offer you some thoughts. Seeing that they are both getting fed the same RF signal, this problem must be related to the differences in performance between the RF tuners on the TV and the video.

For example, the TV RF Tuner may be bad at coping with low strength signals, hence you don't get ITV and C5, but then the VCR is good at coping with low strength RF signals, so you can get ITV and C5, but can get easily overloaded by high strength signals, so can't get the BBC channels.

The reason I say this is because I currently use a set top aerial, and if I turn the boost up high, then some of the channels cut out.

If you can, I suggest you try altering the boost level on her booster. It may be that the signal strength is too high for the VCR to cope on the BBC channels. I think you can buy variable boosters, and it might be worth trying one of these.

Hope this helps

Chris

3. mattwaddy

mattwaddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ok i will try turning off the booster and giving that a try. Any other ideas anyone? Seems a little bit of an odd problem, and i could do with sorting it. :lease:

4. raydawson

raydawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Are you sure that the TV and VCR are tuning into the same channels? It looks as if the VCR is tuning into stronger ITV and Ch 5 channels than the TV and vice versa with BBC etc.

Try manually tunng to find perhaps better reception channels on both the VCR and TV.

As for the line on the right - has the VCR got a tuning signal which puts a bar on screen for you to tune to? If so, turn it off.

Cheers,

Ray D