1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by kayeh, Nov 12, 2004.

1. kayeh

kayeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am the mum of an autistic boy of 15. His joy is to video using his Sony 8mm Handicam then play this back through the TV using the camera and record his efforts onto video tape, recording snippets of himself talking inbetween ( a bit like "you've been framed " you see the clips then the host does a chatty thing !!!)
    My question is : this seems a labourious way to do things, surely there must be, out there somewhere, a home editing kit where he could do this " film making " much easier?

I would be grateful for some help and advice on:

a) what is it I'm looking for?
    b) how much will I be looking to spend?
    c) where am I looking to get one?
    d) Is there an alternative i.e. perhaps something he could use that incoporates his PC?

Also, as I'm only a "girlie" ,what is an ipod? and would my son benefit from one of these. He currently carries a CD player and headphones ( and not the in-the-ear kind) around wherever he goes. Using an ipod could he record his favourite music onto this item instead? and is it smaller than a CD player.

Thank you if you've taken time to read this. I appreciate any help you can give me.
    :lease:

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    Hi Kayeh, I think a DVD recorder with built in hard disk drive might cover what your son wants to do.
    He could record clips from the camera onto the hard drive, erase the "messy bits" reasonably accurately and make a Play-List to compile a programme.

Even better he could burn a DVD of the finished product.

If you think this might do the trick I would recommend a look at the DVD recorders and Media section of this forum. Machines like the Panasonic DMR-E85 or Toshiba RD-XS32 are highly recommended, (cost very roughly in the region of £400 :( )

John

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    OK I'll start with the easy one - the iPod.
    An iPod is a computer disk drive in a box that can access the disk as a personal stereo. You copy your CD's to the disk after converting them to smaller MP3 files so they take up less space. You can plug any headphones into it of your choice. An iPod will be a lot smaller than a portable CD player.

Now the video bit :)

Editing on a PC will give a lot of additional features that can give some very proffessional looking results. BUT! Working on a PC will take a fairly modern PC with lots of disk space and dedicated hardware & software, especially if useing an old analogue (ie 8mm instead of a modern digital DV) camcorder. Also whatever he does is not instant as the computer takes a long time to create the effects before they can be written to a DVD or tape.
    Updating a PC for editing video should cost around £100 - £200 depending on what you already have and exactly what you want to get out of it at the end.

I'm not really sure what else to suggest. I'll wait to see what others have to offer in advise and this may give me some more ideas that I can add later.

Good luck,
    Mark.

4. Gaffer65

Gaffer65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another option would be to consider a stand alone editor such as the Casablanca Avio. They are similar to a playstation to use which children connect to immediately, and only need a domestic TV as a monitor. Operation is by trackball and all normal editing functions, split, trim, transitions, titling are available and simple to carry out. Used ones are readily available from as little as £135 (on ebay)

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I did think about recommending the Casablanca, but IMHO they are overpriced and a little outdated now. But if as you say they are available s/h for only a couple of hundred quid then that is good value.

Mark.

6. kayeh

kayeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wasn't expecting such an immediate response.
    I am not entirely sure I have grasped all that you have suggested and will read through your replies a few times yet.

The ipod sounds like a cool bit of kit, I will look into them further, although I think I will need to update his PC.

A dvd with a hard drive, this is news to me, although, I suppose that is what the X Box is really, isn't it?

Now all I need to do is update myself on the suggested hardware! ! :smashin:

Many thanks, and I am still open to any other suggestions, regarding ideas for what he needs.

Thank you all

Kayeh

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    You wont need to update the PC just for copying CD's onto an iPod as the software used does not take a massively powerful machine. Some quite old PC's would be easily good enough just to rip the CD's and convert to MP3.
    Prices for the iPod Here.
    And more infor on the iPod Here

No, johnjackthom was talking about a DVD that you can record onto the DVD disks and a hard disk to make editing easier. Something like These

I hope the above gives you some interesting reading and if it gives more questions than answers then please feel free to ask us here.

Good luck with the learning curve :lesson: ,
    Mark.