1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please HELP !!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mike-M, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    :lease:
    I prefer to have my music, radio and sat coming through the normal two channels but want my dvd's in 5.1. This is impractical with my current av (Yamaha 750se) as I have to go into the menu and change the speaker set up and turn the sub off everytime. The only solution I can see is to either get another amp with 5.1 sound just for the dvd (yamaha s540). Or get a dvd system and ditch the supplied speakers and my current dvd.
    Is there any other alternative?
    If not, all advice on the best way forward would be most welcome as the more I look into what to do the more confused I become.

2. dgr6966

dgr6966
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Denon 3801 that I have (and preumably later models) offer a "Direct" mode that uses only the main front speakers and the subwoofer, which can be turned off leaving just the front two. Turning the sub off is achieved by turning the signal level down completely, the last setting is "off". Once the channel level is set the level is rembered for that particular mode so there is no need to change it every time. The "Direct" mode can be selected by pressing one button on the remote.

3. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike,

Assuming you mean the Yamaha DSP-AX750SE, then you have two choices :

For 2ch stereo sources select 'Pure Direct' from the front panel or remote

For multi-channel sources that you want to listen to in 2ch select 'Stereo' from the Program knob or remote - this won't turn off the subwoofer if you have the sub set to 'Both'

Hope this helps...
    Mark

4. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks for your imput. I am leaning towards getting another amp for the dvd. It will ideally be slimline (lack of space) and was looking at something like the Sony STRLV500 or the Pioneer VSXC301. Anyone any views on these or others I could consider.

5. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike,

I'm a little confused so I apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick, but...

If you can listen to 2ch sources in 2ch by pressing the 'Pure Direct' button, why go to the extra cost and incovenience of adding another, lower spec'd amp ?

Mark

6. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi Mark,

I'm not doing too good a job explaining this am I. I can see what you mean in your ealier post but it's the sub that is the problem for me. If I set the bass to both front and sub I know I can turn of the sub when listening to stereo but when I come to watch a dvd and turn the sub on again there is too much bass for me so I have to go into the amp menu and set the bass to sub only and change it back again when finished. I am finding this a bind. A small irritation I know but one that bug's me.
    BTW do you know if the full bass range is sent to both when bass is set to fronts and sub or does the crossover still work.

Thank's a lot

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Set front L+R speakers to large so sub only runs with a dedicated LFE channel.................

8. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the 750 not remember the last setting for each input...? ie, if you listen to a CD in stereo, the next time you choose CD as the input, it will remain in stereo or pure direct or whatever...

If you're using your DVD player as a CD player, connect up the left and right phono outputs to the CD input on your amp and set this to pure direct (make sure you have the input set to auto so it detects an analogue signal...). Next time you play DVD, it should still be in pure direct...however, using a digital output for DVD into coax 1 on the 750, every time you play a DVD, it'll be in DD whatever setting you last watched a movie in...

9. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    No matter what settings I select 2Ch, Pure, small or large fronts the sub continues to output. the only way to stop it is to switch it of.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    have you tried large front speakers? and what wrong with SUB?

11. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's weird.... Pure Direct should turn off the subwoofer.

From the Yamaha manual :

p36 Pure Direct "No sound will be output from the subwoofer"

How long have you had the amp ? Maybe a trip to your local friendly dealer and get them to try it on one of theirs is in order ?

Mark

12. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    With speakers set to large and sub turned off, music's fine. Fire up dvd turn sub on Wooo !! too much bass (for me). Only solution I can find is to change the speakers to small in the menu. I think what it comes down to is I only want to use the sub with movies (sounds great with them) and revert to the fronts with music but can't do this successfully without resetting speaker size in the menu.

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    What sub do you have and how is it connected? if you are using Hi level connections thats where problem is.............. You only neeed the singal phono coonection from Sub pre out to subwoofer (assuming its an active SUB)

14. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hornydragon,

I think you may have sussed this. I only got the sob yesterday, It's a XLS200. I have just realised that I am getting no low level output. It only works when I connect the Hi Level lead. I suspect a faulty sub.

15. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    It's the SUB I got. I will sob when I get my card statement !!!!

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    have you enabled sub in amp setup menu?
    Are you sure tis not the ouput of the AMP that is faulty??? have you twisted the crossover nob all the way both ways?

17. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If there's a sub plugged into the sub output on the back of the 750, using the auto setup should detect it...does it? You may have it plugged into the wrong socket as there is an input and an output...check the manual for the correct one.

18. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Just got of the phone with BK. On their advice I connected the sub direct to one of the cd players anologue out's and tried a cd. Low and behold the sub sprang into life. So it's either a duff amp (only got that recently) or some setup problem, so it's out with the manual and start setup from scratch to find out which.

Thank's for all your imput