1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Ashy, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Ashy

Ashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

My current setup is:

Sony KV32FQ75
    Sony DAV550
    Sky Digital
    PS2

Ive got them on:

AV1 - Sky Digital
    AV2 - PS2
    AV3 - DAV550

Linked using the following:

TV to Sky - Thor Scart
    TV to PS2 - RGB Scart lead from play.com
    TV to DAV550 - QED S-video to Scart - Info

Ive been in the service menu and enabled NTSC for AV2/3. Ive tried the DVD on both channels and its fine (its black and white on AV1)

The problem ive got is the RGB lead for the PS2 makes absolutely no difference to the crappy one you get with it, and im not sure if ive got this setup as good as it can be.

The picture on the dvd looks decent, but im sure it could be better, and the TV looks good on some channels but not on others although im lead to believe this is due to Sky. Ive got RGB enabled in the Sky digibox options and this gives a better pic than PAL.

What im really after knowing is are the DVD, PS2 and TV all setup correctly? is there anything that needs enabling in either the service or normal menus as like I said the pic for the PS2 is rubbish - its blurry and looks rough. I was told the RGB lead would improve things considerably and there is literally no difference at all. It made a massive difference on my mates plasma tv compared to the standard lead so I was at least expecting some improvement (plus ive heard other people say how better it is)

Ive tried the PS2 and also the DVD in all the AV channels (except AV4 on the drop down at the front) and other than the DVD being in black and white on AV1 there is no difference pic quality wise. Does RGB have to be enabled or something for the PS2 to look better than it is now?

Have I missed anything or got the wrong leads? If so can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for any help
    Ash

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Assuming it's plugged into an RGB socket, the PS2 also needs to have RGB output enabled in its setup menu which you can access by turning it on without a disc in it. (Was it your PS2 connected to your friend's plasma? If so then RGB is probably already enabled). Hope this helps.

3. Ashy

Ashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for the info mate,

i didnt know about the RGB thing on the ps2 menu, ill have a look at that and see if its off (im hoping it is and my problem is solved, hehe)

ive tried the ps2 in av1,2,3 and no difference. how would i know if the scart socket is RGB enabled? ive read that most tvs only have one RGB scart socket, does anyone know if this is the case with the FQ75 and if so which is it? :)

why cant this stuff be less complicated! :p

4. Ashy

Ashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    checked it out, ps2 was set to RGB. i put it in AV1 and the pic was fantastic, sure i tried AV1 last night - doh!

does this mean that only AV1 can do RGB?

if so i dont really want to be swapping scarts every time i want to use the ps2, is there a splitter or something that i can buy that wont degrade the picture quality?

finally...

is the DAV ok as it is in AV3 as in AV1 its black and white. just thinking about any possible picture improvement

thanks again
    Ash

5. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Pleased to hear you've sorted it out :) You can buy SCART switches here the £39.95 one would be the one I'd go for but others may recommend something else. The quality cannot be the same as direct cable but the difference won't normally be noticeable. The DAV is outputting S-Video isn't it? So probably only AV3 supports it. Check your TV manual (RTFM :laugh: )

6. Ashy

Ashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    MANUAL!!!?!?!?! ;)

7. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    If you want RGB pic quality from all your sources, why don't you "daisy-chain" them - that's what I do. PS2 goes to SKY+, SKY+ to plasma. This still maintains excellent picture quality with no visible degradation. The only drawback is that the other devices in the chain usually need to be off for the device you want to be viewed on screen.

My last TV (A Sony 28", about 3 years old now) only had RGB into AV1. It was annoying - I don't know if newer models have RGB enabled on more than 1 input.

8. Ashy

Ashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    that sounds great, thanks for the tip - ill give it a try :)