Please help - Yamaha audio Issue

John2021

Novice Member
I hope someone here could help me please. Recently, the sound modes/programs of my Yamaha RX-V577 amplifier started switching automatically between different modes repeatedly. That is, when I select "STRAIGHT" when playing music, the amp automatically and continuously switches to other modes such as Hall in Music, Action Game, Drama, Adventure, 7ch stereo, music video, sports etc.

Please does anyone know how this issue can be fixed? Thank you.

Jester1066

I hope someone here could help me please. Recently, the sound modes/programs of my Yamaha RX-V577 amplifier started switching automatically between different modes repeatedly. That is, when I select "STRAIGHT" when playing music, the amp automatically and continuously switches to other modes such as Hall in Music, Action Game, Drama, Adventure, 7ch stereo, music video, sports etc.

Please does anyone know how this issue can be fixed? Thank you.
If you haven't already, I'd try a factory reset. If you can save your YPAO calibration to a USB stick. This way you won't have to re-run the calibration.

John2021

Novice Member
If you haven't already, I'd try a factory reset. If you can save your YPAO calibration to a USB stick. This way you won't have to re-run the calibration.
Please how do I factory reset? I have tried pressing the power button while holding the straight button but it seems to be trying to update via the USB. I am not sure if this is what it's called factory reset. In addition, I don't have any software/USB stick to update from. Any reason the unit was trying to update from USB? Thanks.

Jester1066

Please how do I factory reset? I have tried pressing the power button while holding the straight button but it seems to be trying to update via the USB. I am not sure if this is what it's called factory reset. In addition, I don't have any software/USB stick to update from. Any reason the unit was trying to update from USB? Thanks.
Turn the AVR off at the wall socket. It's trying to update the firmware via a USB drive. Then plug it back in and do the following to reset: (you will need to re-run YPAO after resetting)

1. Set the unit to Standby by pressing the Power button.

2. While holding down the Straight button, press the Power button.

3. SP IMP. 8 Ohm Min (Or 6 ohm) will come up on the Front Panel.

4. Press the RightProgram Arrow button repeatedly until INIT-CANCEL comes up.

5. Press the Straight Button repeatedly until INIT-ALL comes up.

6. Press the Standby button to turn off the receiver.

7. The next time the receiver is powered on, the factory settings will take effect.

Hope this helps! 🙂👌

dante01

Distinguished Member
I think you mean to hold down the STRAIGHT button as opposed to repeatedly pressing it in point 5?

Jester1066

I think you mean to hold down the STRAIGHT button as opposed to repeatedly pressing it in point 5?
Possibly, but I copied it from Yamaha manual, so if it is hold there's a typo in the manual! 😂😂

dante01

Distinguished Member
The ability to restore the receiver to its default state is basically included within the ADVANCED SETUP menu. THis menu can only be accessed via the following:

by default 2021-05-03 at 22.32.30.png

Once in the ADVANCED settings then you need to navigate down to the option entitled INIT (INITIALISATION). Omce there then select the ALL option and then simply press standby again. Once you restart the AV receiver it will be set back to its factory defaults. Note that this doesn't revert the firmware back to how it was when you first received the AVR though.

If you want to read up on the other options within the ADVANCED settings then you can do so in the owners manually from page 94 onwards:

Last edited:

John2021

Novice Member
Thank you all for your suggestions. I have tried to follow the reset steps multiple times, even before posting here, but it did not work. When I pressed the power button while holding the Straight button, I got REMOTE ID..ID1. Then I pressed/held the Program button to get to INIT...CANCEL but when I pressed the straight button again, I couldn't get INIT...ALL. But when I pressed and hold the straight button momentarily, it showed other programs such as TV FORMAT..PAL, REMOTE ID..ID1, UPDATES..USB etc. Even the program seems to only work when I pressed and hold it, instead of just pressing it. It looks like the Program and Straight buttons are not working. Not sure what next to do.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Have you tried taking the batteries out of your Remote control?

Could be a stuck button!

Joe

dante01

Distinguished Member
Have you tried taking the batteries out of your Remote control?

Could be a stuck button!

Joe

You cannot invoke the ADVANCED SETTINGS and navigate them using the remote. He's oressing the buttons on the front of the AVT itself and this is the only way to access the ADVANCED SETTINGS.

John2021

Novice Member
You cannot invoke the ADVANCED SETTINGS and navigate them using the remote. He's oressing the buttons on the front of the AVT itself and this is the only way to access the ADVANCED SETTINGS.
Yes, I pressed the buttons on the amp itself.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom