Please Help with the Acoustics in my clients Home Theater

Member 613270

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, Im new at this Forum as you can see so please bare with me and my ignorance, also english is not my first language so please forgive my writting.

I need help with the sound treatmets for this HT project. My company does home automation, integration, security, cctv, distributed audio, well you get the picture. This is the first time we do a dedicated Home Theater room, in the past we have installed projectors, screens, and audio but in leaving rooms or multypurpose rooms and as you all know is very diferent if the client is giving us a complete isolated room for a dedicated HT. But this projects has had its ups and downs, first of all we are working on a budget so the client blew of our 7.2 surround configuration for a 5.1 regular one and changed the projector from a Runco to a Benq W7000, the AVR from a Denon 3313CI to a Denon 2312 but we manage to convince them in the Jamo D500 Speakers a Jamo 650 Subwoofer and the 120" Stewart Screen. I think it is a very decent Setup, what do you guys think?

But mosto of the problems i have recently encountered is that there is a lot echo in the room, we havent even installed the speakers but it is anoying to work inside with all the voices bouncing. I have alredy convinced them on using carpet for the floor, but the sound is still very bad. The Room itself has a wierd cieling because part of the room is an adaptation to an existing one and i think that causes most of the problems.

Top View of the HT
Cine%20Ponce%20Topview.JPG

Side View
Cine%20Ponce%20Side%20View.JPG

I have already told the architects and owners about this issue but they dont want to use room treatments, primarily because they dont understand the importance of it. So they told me to treat the most critical areas and that is the problem here, i dont know the first thing about it, i have been reading some forums and books but i still dont get it.

So please some one help me deciding where to put the treatments and what type..

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Ohh yeahh forgot to mention that i am in Mexico, so the constructions here are made of block and concrete..

HI this is a mainly UK based forum try and see if there is a calibrator locally who can assist you. Someone with THX, HAA training and the kit. Some help here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/room...n/1009017-acoustic-room-design-treatment.html

Some here: HAA Home Theater Audio Calibration don't see anyone in Mexico a few in Texas so might be worth doing the course!

Thankk you.

There are some but not near where i live and this issue has to be adressed ASAP.

Im actually going to take some courses and trainig at CEDIA in September and im taking our architect with me.

IS it set up for 5.1 Audio? IF so why do you have the surround speakers on the back wall?
TBH the room looks tricky acoustically and you will get some issues with standing waves.
What electronics are you using to drive the audio? Denon 2312? It has audessey so you might have to just stick with that
There are hardware solutions to the problems but not cheap. I would email a few calibrators you never know they might be passing or willing to travel to the site and do a calibration for you.

Alternative is Active room correction (not cheap) but gets results when you cant redesign the room but requires pre power amp system and some other bits.

Havent used Jamo speakers for years...

One small trick is to use absorbing material opposite the speakers to reduce reflections (Back wall were you show the surrounds) to stop the sound bouncing between back wall and front wall again and again...... to do it properly in $$$$$$ I would also watch out for excessive noise from the PJ if mounted close to the wall. Being side cooled/fanned shouldn't be too bad. but if you have AC in the room that can cause a loud background noise.

This link has some good info you might want to consider int eh design... http://www.dolby.com/gb/en/consumer/setup/connection-guide/home-theater-speaker-guide/index.html

THX training is a good one day course to start you off http://www.thx.com/professional/home-theater-installer/thx-home-theater-1-professional-workshop/

Last edited:
IS it set up for 5.1 Audio? IF so why do you have the surround speakers on the back wall?
TBH the room looks tricky acoustically and you will get some issues with standing waves.
What electronics are you using to drive the audio? Denon 2312? It has audessey so you might have to just stick with that
There are hardware solutions to the problems but not cheap. I would email a few calibrators you never know they might be passing or willing to travel to the site and do a calibration for you.

Alternative is Active room correction (not cheap) but gets results when you cant redesign the room but requires pre power amp system and some other bits.

Havent used Jamo speakers for years...

One small trick is to use absorbing material opposite the speakers to reduce reflections (Back wall were you show the surrounds) to stop the sound bouncing between back wall and front wall again and again...... to do it properly in $$$$$$ I would also watch out for excessive noise from the PJ if mounted close to the wall. Being side cooled/fanned shouldn't be too bad. but if you have AC in the room that can cause a loud background noise.

This link has some good info you might want to consider int eh design... Dolby Home Theater Speaker Placement and Setup Guide

THX training is a good one day course to start you off THX Home Theater 1 Professional Workshop « THX.com

The speakers configuration is like that because the last row of seats is almost all the way back but instead of satellites we are just using surround speakers.

We have done some research and we are going to build some panels for the back walls and for the side walls in the first reflection points. The ceiling is still a major concern, that double hight looks like trouble. Im going to try to convince te architect to place a false drywall ceiling with sound aborbernt material in and incline angle so the sound is deflected and abosrbed.

Thanks for the THX link. I think im going to add that to my course and certifiaction list after coming from CEDIA. Im already taking advanced Desing for Home Theater, Home Theater Acoustics, Audio and video Calibration. Lets hope my brain dont gets burn in the process.

Regards

Surrounds may be better on the side walls if you can or use dipoles (speakers aimed directly at other speakers isn't good) or in-ceilings we use these frequently for 5.1 and 7.1 surrounds due to placement limitations.

Sounds like you will be doing lots of training! the double ceiling would be perfect for an acoustic ceiling full of bass traps (but this will cost lots)

Surrounds may be better on the side walls if you can or use dipoles (speakers aimed directly at other speakers isn't good) or in-ceilings we use these frequently for 5.1 and 7.1 surrounds due to placement limitations.

Where should i put them in the side walls if the last row of seats is almost all the way back to the wall?

Sounds like you will be doing lots of training! the double ceiling would be perfect for an acoustic ceiling full of bass traps (but this will cost lots)

i was thinking on hanging an absorbent panel across the ceiling about half the height between the projector and the ceiling. to help minimize any negative effect.

Not sure how well that will work

I saw it in some thread, but im having trouble finding it. Im just very worried about the sound bouncing back and forth endlessly between the two walls bare walls of the double hight ceiling.

I saw it in some thread, but im having trouble finding it. Im just very worried about the sound bouncing back and forth endlessly between the two walls bare walls of the double hight ceiling.

I found a picture i was looking in the wrong forum. This is what i mean by hanging an absorbent panel, this is picture is from another user from another forum i dont know if there are rules against it. If there is, then mods please delet it.

Hanging%20Acoustic%20Panel.jpg

There are plenty of options Acuphon Ceiling Panels : SoundProofing Services, Sound Insulation, Acoustic Insulation, Acoustic Foam, Acoustic Panels but without measuring the rooms current response your driving blind. (not ethe systems in the link are deisgned for reducing sound reverb in large open spaces.

But isn't there a rule of thumb we can go by? the thing is that i dont have anyone to do the measurments and i havent found any expert around where i live nor ever in the near cities nor states i would have to fly some one over from Mexico city.

You would need an acoustician to give some advice based on room dimensions and the plan. Not something I am qualified to do I'm afraid.

Thank you anyway. You have been really helpful with the links and explanations.

Im going to start looking for some one.

Regards

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom