Please help with Sony XH950 Options

Djod10

Novice Member
Hello this is my first post,I would like to thank Dodgexander for the amazing Best Value TV Guide as this is the reason i have decided on the Sony XH950.

I had thought a 49 inch would be fine, but after reading the guide and forums for advice, i understand that upgrading to anything less than a 55 inch may be pointless in order to benefit from the HDR. I hope thats right as i'm still learning from all you experts on here. Finding this place has been amazing help to me in trying to find the right TV.I wanted a 55 inch from Richer Sounds with the 5 year guarantee, but all sold out now only 49 inch remaining, would this still be great?

My options for the 49 inch SONY XH950 TV are:

Richer Sounds: 49 INCH XH950 £849 (5 year manufacturer's guarantee) I would choose Richer sounds for this.
Argos: 49 inch £899 ( 5 year manufacturer's guarantee)

Options for 55 inch TV are: Only brand new from Argos can not find anywhere else still selling them but I am worried about guarantee....

Argos: 55 inch £837
Only 1 year manufacturers's guarantee with Argos, not 5 year like richer sounds,Anyone got any experience with buying a TV from Argos and what they are like if there is a problem.
I could not see much specific information on the return policy for a TV. Says unopened returns but i need to open it to see of there is a problem right?

Richer Sounds have some 55 inch but it would be ex display only nothing brand new.
still comes with a 5 year guarantee but what is the disadvantage with ex display? I had read here i thing that vivid mode for a year in store could impact the TV ?

Is a 55inch XH950 ex display with richer sounds 5 year guarantee better than a brand new one from Argos with 1 year guarantee?

I hope this make sense, sorry if it is over complicated, my mind is in tv meltdown mode and thought i would ask you experts, any help is much appreciated!

vickster

Distinguished Member

If you want the 55 this might be an option, but you’d need to call to check the warranty

Djod10

Novice Member
Thank you so much for taking the time to send me this link, i had not come across this at all....

Do you know if making returns is easy, sounds silly but i couldn't go to the store to get the TV back to them, i would have to use delivery company and never have before? You'd think i was buying a Space rocket not a TV :facepalm:

Also would you get 55 inch XH950 over 49 inch? Is rainbow screen a thing on 55 inch?

Thank you for your help!

vickster

Distinguished Member
Why would you need to return it? You need to read each company’s terms on returns, some are good like Costco, some less so like Currys. Personally I’d be loathe to entrust a working TV to a delivery company just because you don’t like it.

No idea on the 55, I have the 49, no issues except the viewing angles aren’t great (not a problem for me). 55 too big for the space and my viewing distance, i replaced a 50”. What’s your viewing distance, not sure why you only think a 55+ is the only size suitable for HDR (it’s down to the TV features rather than purely screen size, plenty of 55s can’t do HDR properly either)

Whatever you buy do NOT go looking for issues that you’ve read about, just enjoy what is a very good premium TV ;)

I’d be quite happy with an ex display long warranty LCD from RS myself (not an OLED though).

The link was the first hit on Pricerunner, good way to check TV prices

Last edited:

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Don't forget RS will beat any advertised price, just ring them up and quote the ad. I did and got £10 off other dealers price which was £40 less than RS. Also RS give extra year warranty on top of Sony 5 year warranty.
I also have the 49" model and I think it is even better than the larger sizes as it does not have the enhanced wide angle and anti reflection treatment which results in a significantly higher contrast ratio. Viewing angles are actually better than I expected.

Last edited:

Djod10

Novice Member
Thank you Vickster for your message!

Yes, why indeed right.... panicking i guess, incase it all goes wrong and they say " Return? Never! you are now doomed to live out the rest of your life with a TV that is (imagine the worst here)...and our return policy does not apply to you!" :facepalm:

I have no idea about why i thought 55+ size mattered for HDR i think it was something i read and may have picked it up wrong...glad to hear it does not and that may be better going 49inch for this!

I actually started out looking at a 43 inch Samsung AU9000... Then read the guide here and thought some more...also somewhere discovered it had 300 nits, i used to think these were just things people got in there hair...turns out when it comes to TV's it seems the more nits the bette...and so I moved from that to the Sony 49XH950 based on all the information here.

The 49 inch would be quite an upgrade in size from my 40inch and my TV area could fit 49 inch well, the 55 inch would be possible, but may be too big for my room...i just sort of jumped from 43inch to 55inch in quite a short space of time...give me another week or two and i'm sure i'll be looking at 75inch with nowhere for it...:rotfl:

It awesome to hear you have the 49 inch and its great, yes viewing angles not a problem for me either.Viewing distance from TV is between 8ft and 9ft.

Thats great to hear you would not have an issue with ex display 55 inch and guarantee from Richer Sounds.

The more i have learned about Tv's the more i wonder if knowledge is power or ignorance is bliss...maybe it's a bit of both.

Great advice about not looking for problems once got and just enjoying it, that is the most important part i think!

Thank you!

Djod10

Novice Member
Dear Boostrail, Thank you very much for your reply!

The price match information is great! I will be sure to try this if i use richer sounds.Glad you got a great a deal!

Awesome you also have the 49inch XH950 and prefer it to the larger sizes, really great to know that it may even be better due to not having the anti reflection treatment! Would never have thought of this...Thank you for your advice.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Dear Boostrail, Thank you very much for your reply!

The price match information is great! I will be sure to try this if i use richer sounds.Glad you got a great a deal!

Awesome you also have the 49inch XH950 and prefer it to the larger sizes, really great to know that it may even be better due to not having the anti reflection treatment! Would never have thought of this...Thank you for your advice.
Whatever act quickly as stocks of this 2020 TV will soon run out.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
There's not really any disadvantage to ex display with LCD TVs. These TVs should last years and years. Bigger is always better with LCD TVs. 55" is actually very small nowadays, 65" becoming more of the norm.
Hi Dodge not sure where or in which circumstances you live but I live in a fairly standard 4 bed house in the UK and has an average 21' x 13' lounge with protruding chimney breast half way down the interior wall and extensive windows opposite this wall . Other than mounting the TV above the fire opening (aaargh!) there is no way anything other than a max 55" could be reasonably accommodated unless this room is converted to home cinema use only.

Dodgexander

Hi Dodge not sure where or in which circumstances you live but I live in a fairly standard 4 bed house in the UK and has an average 21' x 13' lounge with protruding chimney breast half way down the interior wall and extensive windows opposite this wall . Other than mounting the TV above the fire opening (aaargh!) there is no way anything other than a max 55" could be reasonably accommodated unless this room is converted to home cinema use only.
Its difficult in many homes, especially older ones, or ones with limited space. That's mostly because they are built (or were built) with the fire as the centre piece of the room, with the window usually also on one side. Its an out of date concept nowadays really, since most peoples centre piece in their living room is now the TV, rather than the fireplace.

Its the same with my parents house, except the window is to the side of the fireplace. Its a similar conundrum when fitting multi speaker setups, usually requires some shuffling of furniture around, and sometimes even moving furniture away completely. Some people fill in their fireplace, or build a new wall in front of it for placing the TV.

With my parents the solution was to put the TV perpendicular to one of the spare walls, and the seating facing it. Later on, as one of the rooms was no longer used upstairs, I converted that into a personal cinema room with everything in reference layout and they are back to using a small TV in the corner of living room just for you're every day general viewing stuff that really doesn't need anything fantastic.

I know not everyone can fit larger TVs, and luckily there's still some higher end TVs sold at 48/49" but to make the most of UHD, and to not limit your options its getting more popular to look at larger sizes. Whether you or I agree or not, that's the push the industry is taking.

Last edited:

desinho

Hello this is my first post,I would like to thank Dodgexander for the amazing Best Value TV Guide as this is the reason i have decided on the Sony XH950.

I had thought a 49 inch would be fine, but after reading the guide and forums for advice, i understand that upgrading to anything less than a 55 inch may be pointless in order to benefit from the HDR. I hope thats right as i'm still learning from all you experts on here. Finding this place has been amazing help to me in trying to find the right TV.I wanted a 55 inch from Richer Sounds with the 5 year guarantee, but all sold out now only 49 inch remaining, would this still be great?

My options for the 49 inch SONY XH950 TV are:

Richer Sounds: 49 INCH XH950 £849 (5 year manufacturer's guarantee) I would choose Richer sounds for this.
Argos: 49 inch £899 ( 5 year manufacturer's guarantee)

Options for 55 inch TV are: Only brand new from Argos can not find anywhere else still selling them but I am worried about guarantee....

Argos: 55 inch £837
Only 1 year manufacturers's guarantee with Argos, not 5 year like richer sounds,Anyone got any experience with buying a TV from Argos and what they are like if there is a problem.
I could not see much specific information on the return policy for a TV. Says unopened returns but i need to open it to see of there is a problem right?

Richer Sounds have some 55 inch but it would be ex display only nothing brand new.
still comes with a 5 year guarantee but what is the disadvantage with ex display? I had read here i thing that vivid mode for a year in store could impact the TV ?

Is a 55inch XH950 ex display with richer sounds 5 year guarantee better than a brand new one from Argos with 1 year guarantee?

I hope this make sense, sorry if it is over complicated, my mind is in tv meltdown mode and thought i would ask you experts, any help is much appreciated!
You can add +3 years of warranty Extended Warranty (page not working for me at the moment but did not long ago. edit: working now and I see you have to get it through the dealer these days o_O). Normally this would make it a 5-year warranty but Sony UK standard factory warranty is only 1 year instead of 2 elsewhere in Europe (all of?).

And it's either the XH95 or XH9505 ;):D

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom