Answered Please help with Sky Q using Ethernet Powerline Adapters

bgffc

Novice Member
Reaction score
We have recently had Sky Q installed in an upstairs bedroom, with a Sky mini-box in the living room downstairs.

We seem to have sensitivity to Wi-Fi signals, so my son used some TP-Link AV600 powerline adapters, together with some tricky changing of the Sky TV set up settings, to get it to use our ethernet cables instead.

The main Sky Q box works perfectly, but the mini-box keeps freezing. There are so many different suggestion on the internet, from it cannot be done, too slow internet speed (ours are currently around 50Mbps download, and that we need stronger powerline adapters to keep a steady single.

I don't mind buying some Devolo adapters, but I would like to know whether you believe this is our issue before we make any purchase.
Sky are not happy for some reason to help customers go through ethernet rather than Wi-Fi.

Any ideas/suggestions would be most welcome.

Your problem is NOT down to your connection speed to the internet - it is down to the speed/reliability/interference on your internal network connections. The mini does NOT connect to the internet - only the main box does. The mini only connects to the main box via WiFi, ethernet cable or powerline.

OK thanks David. So I can ignore my internet speed. I tried plugging the mini Sky box directly to the router (PC has a powerlink adapter plugged in), and I got a good connection for a a hour or so. Unfortunately it then began to freeze and on the TV a message about proximity was causing the connection disruption. When the picture returned, it just kept freezing after a few minutes.
Do you think I need more powerful powerlink adapters?
I must add that we live in an old house with thick walls and an old electrical supply. Probably 30 years plus since last renewed.
The only thing I am yet to try, is to take the second TV into the same room as the main Sky Q box and plug the mini box into the Sky Q one directly with an ethernet cable.
If this works maybe I need to run a long ethernet cable into another room where I can watch it without any issues?

How does the main box connect to router?

The main Sky Q box is connected directly to the dish. We only use the powerline connection when we want to use the mini box.

Well yes the main box is connected to the dish but how is it connected to the rest of your network? Wifi to router or hardwired LAN to router? Or Powerline ethernet?

Sorry, we use the powerline adapter when needing to connect to router.

Yes because my son has the Sky Q in his bedroom and we only need the mini box connected when I want to see a football match on Sky Sports downstairs. We have talk talk for broadband and use their box for everything else.
Last night I brought the TV upstairs and plugged it into another bedroom. Using a powerling adapter it seemed to be working and holding a steady picture. It wont do this downstairs.
Do you think it is due to our old wiring, or we need more powerful powerlinks?

Yes because my son has the Sky Q in his bedroom and we only need the mini box connected when I want to see a football match on Sky Sports downstairs. We have talk talk for broadband and use their box for everything else.
Last night I brought the TV upstairs and plugged it into another bedroom. Using a powerling adapter it seemed to be working and holding a steady picture. It wont do this downstairs.
Do you think it is due to our old wiring, or we need more powerful powerlinks?
The spec of your powerlines is fine. It could be your wiring. Mine worked well on Powerlines for a year or more then got flaky for no obvious reason. I converted to hardwire Ethernet and it has been solid since.

Power line adapters work best when used on the same ring circuit, not connected to extension blocks, etc. If the route between the two Sky boxes has to traverse the mains consumer unit or multiple rings, then all bets are probably off. You need to consider direct Ethernet cabling or perhaps a wi-fi extender. Power line kit is designed to be left powered-up at all times, as would be wi-fi extenders. When I used power line adapters the one nearest the router would lose sync perhaps once every couple of months and needed a power cycle, but was otherwise generally reliable. However, Netflix, and only Netflix, would never stream across the connection, even though the speed was more than good enough. A different type of power line adapter might be worth a try, but I suspect that the house wiring might be the limiting factor here. As it happened, my power line adapters were TP-Link AV600s ... I now use Ethernet cabling and have no issues. Low/flat profile Ethernet cabling is easily hidden by skirting boards, under carpets, etc., and provided that good quality cables are used, kept to under 100m in length (though the shorter the better) that’s the best method here.

Clem

Have you tried plugging your main SKY Q box, and SKY Q Mini directly into your Router / Switch via Ethernet Cables? (not via Powerline adaptors)?

You need to test this configuration to see if it is stable. If it is stable, then you know that the problem is being caused by the use of Powerline adaptors. They can be very hit and miss. Housing wiring, and the quality of the devices vary considerably.

If you still have problems, when using direct Ethernet connection, then this likely points to a faulty SKY Q or mini box.

It's also worth checking you have the latest firmware installed in your Router / Switch. Also, you may want consider replacing the Router / Switch if it's a few years old and only has 100 Mbit Ethernet ports, rather than Gigabit.

Regards,
James.

Thanks everyone. The only puzzle left is that I tried plugging the mini box/tv directly to the router with an ethernet cable (downstairs). On the same socket was a powerline adapter. The other powerline upstairs plugged directly in a socket where the Sky Q box is.
Result was that it picked up Sky Sports okay for about an hour then started to freeze.
It sounds more like an old wiring issue do you not think? Cannot connect any way from upstairs to down and keep a steady picture.

Also, you may want consider replacing the Router / Switch if it's a few years old and only has 100 Mbit Ethernet ports, rather than Gigabit.
Does the Sky box have/use a gigabit network connection?

It does seem like a mains wiring issue although until every other possibility is ruled out you can’t be sure. You could try an Internet speed test on laptop plugged into powerline sockets but your issue is not speed but quality and continuity of connection. I used conduit previously installed for telephone network to pull Ethernet cables into each main room. It is not technically difficult and was one of my most satisfying DIY jobs ever. Lol.

The Sky Q box is 2TB.
The adapters are AV500 and AV600.
Devolo sell 1200Mbs and I wondered if they were worth the hefty price tag. I would need 3.

I doubt speed is the issue.

Does the Sky box have/use a gigabit network connection?

It may not, but multiple devices all communicating through the Router / Switch at the same time, may saturate it if each port is only 100 Mbit. The Router / Switch is acting as a collapsed backbone, and you want as much headroom available as possible.

Regards,
James.

EDIT: post made in wrong thread.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. The only puzzle left is that I tried plugging the mini box/tv directly to the router with an ethernet cable (downstairs). On the same socket was a powerline adapter. The other powerline upstairs plugged directly in a socket where the Sky Q box is.
Result was that it picked up Sky Sports okay for about an hour then started to freeze.
It sounds more like an old wiring issue do you not think? Cannot connect any way from upstairs to down and keep a steady picture.

Have you tried connecting both Sky Q and mini box into the router with Ethernet cables? All your tests still seem to involve powerline? Until you can confirm that direct router connection of both devices works, you can't move on.

Perhaps even trying a crossover Ethernet cable between the two devices would be worthwhile? That would eliminate potential router problems.

I know it was suggested already but, are you plugging the powerline adapters straight into the wall or an extension socket.

I think it could be the fact it's an older property

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom