Please help with Sky HD/Bravia question

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Tankman, Dec 29, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Tankman

Tankman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi folks,
    Would like to get sky HD and a DVD player/AV receiver set up that's compatible with HDMI in new year. My Bravia V series only has a single, lonely HDMI input (regret buying it now!). If you could please help on the following questions I would be extremely grateful;

1. How do I overcome the problem of plugging in both sky HD and a DVD player with only one HDMI input on the tv?

2. Anyone using a Sony DVD/AV receiver set up? Have been looking at RDR-HXD860 (£290) DVD and STR-DG700 (£250) receiver. Anyone had any major problems with them?

Thanks in advance.

2. Tony_T

Tony_T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    1. The answer to this is actually in your 2nd question. The STR-DG700 has HDMI inputs. Just plug the DVD & Sky into the receiver and plug the output from the receiver to the lonely HDMI input on the TV. Bear in mind that at this price level the Receiver probably just acts as an HDMI switch box, you'll need seperate leads to route the sound through the receiver.
    Alternatively, I've read elsewhere here in the forums that people have been getting good results using component with the Sky box.

2. I've got a 40W2000 and got a deal with the RDR-HXD860 thrown in for free. Yup, I have a major problem with the DVD recorder; all the Sony HDMI recorders appear to be Freeview only and I can't get a Freeeview signal right now. :mad:
    C'est la vie, I needed a new DVD player anyway, and it does that job ok...

3. Tankman

Tankman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks, Tony.
    Could you please expand further on "you'll need seperate leads to route the sound through the receiver" ?

4. Tony_T

Tony_T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Yup ok......
    As a generalisation, all sub £400 receivers that have HDMI just route the video and sound signals through to the TV.
    To hear surround sound from your DVD for example, you will also have to connect the digital output (usually coaxial) to the appropriate input on the receiver.
    I'm not familiar with the Sky HD box, but assuming it also has a digital output for the sound then you'll also need to connect it to an appropriate input on the receiver.

AV receivers also generally have a 'monitor out' connection to display video from any connected equipment and also for the receiver on screen setup menus.
    The receiver will probably not be able to display its setup menus via HDMI so you will need a lead to connect the monitor output to the TV.

So, for pure HDMI that means you will need two coaxial leads for the sound plus 3 HDMI leads to route HDMI via the receiver plus a lead from the receiver to the TV to see on screen menus.

Option 2 is to connect the DVD via HDMI to the TV and Sky to the TV via component. You'll need: 2 coax leads, 1 HDMI, 1 component (plus stereo RCA if you want sound via the TV) plus the monitor lead.

Finally, if the receiver has a component output, you might be able to connect this from the receiver to the TV and connect the Sky box to the receiver via component, but this would mean that you wouldn't get the Sky sound just through the TV for casual viewing...
    Another option or one HDMI and one component (to route video directly to the TV).

All clear as mud? :D

5. Tankman

Tankman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Am printing your advice and studying it very carefully. If I move my finger across the page and mouth the words very s-l-o-w-l-y understand some of it!!! I love cinema and appreciate quality but am a bit of a luddite when it comes to modern AV systems.

Now wondering if the £400 STR-DA1200ES receiver would be less hassle and far better quality. Then there's also Denon..........

Thanks for your help, Tony. Appreciate it.

6. Bluetyler

Bluetyler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The STR-DA1200ES is a great amp (I own one) but again it does not process the sound via the HDMI it can only switch video. You'd have to splash out on the more expensive models to process audio. The 3200 and 5200 have 'HDMI repeater' capability.

From the Sony web site:

HDMI Repeater
    Home cinema receivers or systems with an HDMI™ switcher detect and switch through only the video signal when you connect them to source devices using an HDMI™ cable. So for the audio signal, you need an extra digital audio input cable (coaxial or optical). But home cinema receivers or systems with an HDMI™ repeater can detect and process video and audio signals when connected by HDMI™ cable, so you don’t need an extra cable. Irrespective of switcher or repeater, only one HDMI™ cable is required to transfer all signals from the receiver or system to your TV

7. Tankman

Tankman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks. So let me get this straight - are HDMI leads only capable of carrying both sound & vision if the kit they're plugged into is upto the job?

I thought the whole point of HDMI was digital quality transport of both sound & picture. May be I'm just wrong.

8. Bluetyler

Bluetyler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Basically yes. The HDMI will carry high quality video and audio. For example I have a Sony XL202 that can output 1920x1080p to my 'X' Series Bravia and if I wish I can listen to the audio via the TV speakers as both audio and video signals are carried to the TV.

However, For watching BD's and DVD's on the XL202 I actually pass my audio out via the S/PDIF coaxial into the STR-DA1200ES which then processes the signal accordingly (DTS, DD 5.1 etc etc). I also have SkyHD, again video is HDMI to the Bravia (the x series has 2 x HDMI) audio is via the optical out on the Sky box into the STR-DA1200ES.

Your not wrong, but you need to spend a bit more to have an amp that will process both video and audio via HDMI. If the 3200 had have been available at the time I was purchasing my system I may have gone for that option. However, I'm very pleased with my current set up.

Hope this helps.

9. Tankman

Tankman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thank you, guys. Really appreciate the time you've taken helping me. Next step is to contact Sky and get them round to drill holes in my wall.

10. billygreer

billygreer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Tank,
    Just come across your thread and thought i would share the experience i have gained over the last week,which has been a steep learning curve which i would hope to spare you ,so here goes,hope it helps.

My kit is 46W2000 bravia
    sony STR-DA1200ES
    sony sa-ve705 speakers and sub woofer
    Sony DVPNS76H DVD Player

cables- 1xcoaxial
    3x HDMI
    2x optical

Connect dvd to amp dvd in{hdmi}, and optical to amp video 1 in, {this optical in on the amp needs to be reassigned in the amp menu to dvd}

connect sky HD box to tv/sat in on the amp {hdmi} and optical out from hd box to optical in on the amp marked tv/sat

the coaxial lead will go from the amp subwoofer preout to your subwoofer

as mentioned earlier you need to connect a video lead temporarily from the tv to the video out on the amp so you can get the amp setup menu onscreen,something that the amp manual fails to tell you and after calling the sony tech help line,LOL,i was told they think thats what i needed to do but the y would need to order in the kit and get back to me!!!!!!

Hope this makes your installation more painless than mine.I must say i am delighted with the kit listed now it is all working as it should.

Billy:thumbsup:

11. Tankman

Tankman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Cheers, Billy. Shall save your advice for future reference.

What do you think of the picture quality now you have SkyHD?

My Bravia looks really awful with Freeview pumped into it - initially I was going to take it back and ask for a refund from Mr Sony Centre. Am hoping & praying for a significant improvement in pic quality when eventually sort out Sky HD.

Happy New Year to all!

12. billygreer

billygreer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tank,
    I only have sky box into my tv,no outside ariel due to house position,picture quality is at least as good if not better with the new sky HD box over the old standard box, and i have not even attempted to optimize my system settings yet.Everything is as it was out of the box other than an auto calibration done with the amp/reciever when it was connected to the new speakers.I sit a maximum of 10ft away from the screen and the picture is awesome and in hd breathtaking.

Billy:thumbsup: