1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help with setting up Twinham tv card

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by newstuart, Jul 9, 2005.

1. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi all,
    Ive recently pirchased from these forums a Twinham digital tv card which i understand is MCE compattable however the disc that comes with it is not. Can anyone who has one of these cards shed some light on how they got it up and running please :lease:

2. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep! I've been through this before so can explain.

I'm not sure if the BDA drivers are on your CD, they were not on mine but I got it a few months ago. So basically, you do this:

Ignore the CD altogether, you don't need any of the software that comes with it as MCE does all that. You only need to install the BDA drivers and they can be found on the website http://www.twinhan.com/download_driver&software.asp

If you look near the bottom of the download section, you will see a selection for BDA drivers in a drop down menu. Assuming you've got the standard twinhan DTV ter card, download that one.

HOWEVER..... before you do that, make sure you uninstall the twinhan software and the drivers and remove the PCI card (I assume you have installed it already hence the problems).

You then install the BDA drivers, switch off, insert the PCI card, switch back on again and the drivers should load themselves once your machine has detected the 'new' card.

Hopefully, you should then be OK.

If not, come back with what the problem is and hopefully I can explain/sort you out.

Jon.

3. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    hi jon and thanks for the info, there is nothing there to download when i select the BDA drivers link on that page, maybe the site is updating I will try again later and report back

4. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    the site is still down sadly, does anyone have another link or can mail me a copy of the download ?

5. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to say that sometimes it doesn't seem to work. I did try the link when I wrote my reply and it didn't work then either.

However.... I use mozilla so it is possible that it wont work unless you use IE. If you too use mozilla, it's a decent shout. If you use IE, then You'll have to wait I guess...... OR ...

I can send them to you as I still have the zip file. I'm not sure if the private message system is OK for transferring files (It's not that big if I remember) so email me on jon.stallard@fluor.com AND jon.stallard@btinternet.com, I know I've got it either at work (tut tut) or at home so it gives me a fair chance of sending you the BDA files.

Jon.

6. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I to use Mozilla Jon so that could well be the problem, if you happy to email it to me that would be fantastic, thankyou. Ive sent you a email to both adresses.

7. Harryo

Harryo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Twinhan has just updated the software today (Tuesday) for their cards now on ver 2.605.

If you cannot download the BDA file from Twinhans site (for certain files on that site I have to switch from Mozilla to IE6) you can download from:-

http://www.digitalrise.biz/support/downloads/

Harryo

8. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    i recieved the driver today thankyou, still have issues though im afraid.
    this is what ive done

1) removed the card and all previous drivers
    2) extracted all files from the BDA file download
    3) selected install shield and correct card

this then started to install but flashed up that "this is not a windows aproved program"
    so i clicked "continue anyway" but it keeps saying it needs my windows XP2 disc for "KSTVTUNE.AX" and will not let me continue,

I do not have the xp disc as this is a 2nd hand pc with MCE 2005 installed

any suggestions ?

9. Harryo

Harryo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I would consider downloading the latest version of the TwinhanDTV software (ver 2.605).

It has a new installation process which allows you to select either the WDM or BDA driver when installing the new software.

I did have some problems installing previous versions of TwinhanDTV but this latest version installs without any hassle.

Harryo

10. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    what do i do to install the drivers on the new version ? there is no install wizard that i can see, sorry im new to this if im barking up the wrong tree here

11. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never said it was easy Stuart :)

There was another file under the BDA downloads which started with PCI..... I've no idea what that is though but if HarryO is saying that the full download for the card has an option to select BDA drivers then I'd try that next. The one thing I've noticed is that Twinhan do a lot of work on updates.

Let us know how you get on.

Jon.

12. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, that last post didn't exactly answer your question did it.

Other than saying it should install, there is another possibility that I discovered when first trying to install my card.

At the time, I also thought about buying a graphics card. It was only a fairly cheap one (FX5200 or something like that) and it caused me no end of heartache and almost saw the PC sail through an open window.

Thing is that the TV card and the graphics card were not compatible. It didn't manifest itself in a helpful warning message. One of the symptons of this was that the installer didn't work properly. I hope this isn't your problem but it's another thing to consider if you still have problems.

13. Harryo

Harryo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You have to do a manual install of the BDA driver, unless you are doing a full install of TwinhanDTV software which will also install either the BDA or WDM driver, you have to select the driver you intend using.

If you have created a folder on your desktop called something like Twinhan BDA and unzipped all files to that, open it and check if there are additional folders marked Win98, Win2000 and XP in your case you want the driver in the XP folder if it exists. The two files that you are interested in are "UDTT2BDA" -(system file) and "UDTT2BDA" - (setup file) make a note of what folder they are in.

Go to 'Control panel'/'System'/'Hardware''/'Device manager" find your Twinhan device and right click with the mouse and select 'Properties'. (My Twinhan is a USB device which is listed under "Sound, video and game controllers").

From the window displayed select the 'drivers' tab, and select 'Update driver' a "Wizard" will then start.

This is from memory! :) Follow the instructions and when it asks to go online deny it, proceed until you arrive at the option to load driver from CD etc, choose something worded like - 'select location of driver' and you will then be able to 'browse' to the location on the desktop where the two files mentioned previously are located.

When you have either located the files or the folder that they are in just click next or ok and the driver should load.

The only other alternative is to download the latest version of TwinhanDTV which will automatically load whatever driver you choose in the installation procedure but it will then mean you having to remove TwinhanDTV from control panel/install-remove software but does leave the driver intact.

Best of luck, I know it sounds long-winded loading the driver but once you have loaded it then it becomes easier for future updates to the driver.

Harryo