1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help with query about floorstanding speakers!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Bigweed, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi to all the knowledgeable people on these forums. I have about £100 to spend on two floorstanding speakers which will be used with my TV ( a Thomson WB643) and used mainly for DVD's and Gamecube gaming. However, I have no idea what speakers are good and what are not. I also am not sure how to connect them to the TV. I was looking for the type of speakers which are the tall ones and are stood one on each side of the TV. As you can tell I am a complete newbie to speakers. Can anyone give me some advice please?? It would be very gratefully received

Thanks

Bigweed

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'm not sure that you can connect a pair of speakers to this TV. Having had a quick look at the spec it doesn't seem to have any facilities for the connection of extension speakers. The pair of audio outputs on the rear panel will only provide a low level signal which needs to be fed to an external amplifier and cannot be directly connected to speakers.

3. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply

Do you know what kind of amp I will need, I need it to be as cheap as possible so that I dont spend too much more than £100 for the whole package. I will only be connecting the two floorstanding speakers to it, as the missus doesnt like wires trailing around so I cant have surround speakers. Also, what kind of speakers will be best for this?

Cheers

Bigweed

4. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, can anyone tell me what the Mission M73i floorstanding speakers are like? Richer sounds have them for £119.99. I am a complete newbie to speakers and am not sure whether they are any good, or what biwireability is, what impedance value is good or not, etc. Can anyone help? I will be using them thru a cheapo amp, which I have to still decide on, and they will be used with my TV and Gamecube.

Cheers

Bigweed

5. finlab

finlab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wires can be hid behind skirting boards or under carpets. Wives can be calmed down eventually. :devil:

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you don't want the full surround sound you don't need an AV amp as a plain stereo amp will do. Richer sounds sell the Cambridge Audio A1 amp for £70

I don't know why you want floorstander speakers as you will probably find a pair of Gale Mini Monitors at £40 or Mission M71i at £60 will be much more suitable

7. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only wanted floorstanding speakers cos they look cool!! So what do you think about the Mission M73i speakers then? Can they be connected to a cheapo amp and still sound good? Also, is it possible to get a semi surround sound effect from floorstanding speakers, as they have a sub and mid in them?

Also, what is the diffeence between a stereo and AV amp?

Cheers
    Bigweed

8. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In that price range, you might have to get a minisystem rather than a separate amp and speakers. Unless of course you can find some used stuff.

Try bumping your limit to £200 and then we'll see what's available....

9. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

What is a minisystem?

I dont think I could go to £200, hows about £150, the missus would kill me if I went higher than that. Can I get some decent floorstanding speakers and a cheapo amp for that amount, which will sound good??

Cheers

Bigweed

10. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Yes, the Mission M73i's will sound great. Connect them to a stereo amp like the CA one IanJ mentioned. Don't forget tio budget around £15 for each interconnect. That's the lead which runs between your DVD/Gamecube and your amp. Speaker cable will be another £20.

11. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's silly. You don't need to spend that much on interconnects and cables. You are not building a high-end system, so you don't need high-end cables. If you're going to go the amp + speakers route, all the cables should cost you maybe £15 combined, at most.

A minisystem is like an all-in-one audio system. You will get one unit that holds a radio tuner, CD player, maybe a tape player and of course the amplifier (typically well over 200W). You also get a pair of speakers. If you go this route, you'll only need £5 worth of cables to connect the TV and stuff to the minisystem. I don't know the prices for these in the UK, but in Canada they start at $100 and you can get a decent one for $200.

Later on, you can upgrade the speakers to those Missions.

12. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372

Thats a first, high end and £15 in the same sentence. :confused: :D

13. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What? I believe I cleverly place a period in there somewhere.... ;)

14. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    ;) only playing. Some of the prices for cables talked about on this forum make my eyes water. £15 would cover one plug. :eek:

15. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No kidding. I bet the manufacturers laugh everytime someone shells out that much for a cable that at some point came from the same spool as all the others...

16. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I see what you mean by mini system now. I think that my Aiwa NSX S888 would classify as a mini system then. Is this mini system any good for connecting the TV and Gamecube to? Also, is it possible to connect the Mission M73i speakers to it? And how would I connect the TV, Gamecube, DVD (and possibly the PC) all at the same time to it? Im not too familiar with connections.

Cheers

Bigweed

17. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, look on the back of the mini system for a pair of RCA connectors. They are round, and should be coloured red and white. Just get a stereo RCA cable and connect the TV to the stereo with it. I'm assuming there is only one pair of connectors, so you'll need a splitter if you want to hook up the computer. The Gamecube will be connected through the TV, just be sure to turn the volume on the TV all the way down so it goes through the mini system only.

Yes, you should be able to connect any speakers to the mini system, just disconnect the wires that are there and connect the new speakers the same way.

18. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jeff-o

do i need to connect the DVD player separately to the mini system too, or does it work through the TV like the gamecube? if it works through the TV, do i need to turn the TV sound down for that too?

cheers

bigweed

19. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, first off, how many inputs does your mini system have? That will determine what gets hooked up and where. I also need to know what the inputs AND outputs are on your TV.

Hmmm, how was everything hooked up before the minisystem was in the picture?