Please help with my very first computer build

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
Ok let's say we have an £800 (but would happily try keep it at £6-700) budget and with that we need to purchase everything

All we need the computer to do is able to handle games like the Sims 4 and the new Sim City extremely well, we don't play high advance games like COD or Battlefield on it (that's for my Xbox One)
What advantages would an HDMI monitor be with one without? I would like to get the setup so I have 2 and they cost about £100 each also non glossy as I hate seeing myself in the screen lol
A good wireless card so we can put the computer anywhere in the house
Good speakers
PSU
Graphics Card
RAM
CPU
Motherboard
Bluray Drive with DVD write etc - I want to be able to burn Blurays to an MP4 file for iTunes
Lastly a case which is pretty airy and cool for the last of the money

I can manage to get a keyboard and mouse ;) and is there anyway of buying everything from one company so it's all together :) Ebuyer is usually the good one.

My friend who is pretty good with all this did recommend this set (see below this paragraph) up but I think it's pretty much an over powered machine for what I need it for. although I would like to go down the route of Nvidia as they pretty much have better support for the majority of games, or would you not agree?

Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI DisplayPort 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Corsair 4GB (2X2GB) DDR3 1600Mhz VENGEANCE "BLUE" Memory Kit C9 1.5V
Corsair CX 750W PSU - 80plus Bronze Certified
Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
Lg 16x SATA Internal BDRW Bare + Software
CM Storm Trooper Case

Maybe that build I have listed above is way over the top for what I need and so I can shave some money off to be spent on other things by buying a lower spec mod.

Just to note I will be buying a desk from IKEA and we already have an SSD with OS Win 7 so that's all covered :) I think buying a lower end spec machine than that one above would mean I could definetly buy the 2 monitors I need

Any help would be magic folks, this will be my first ever build and I know I'll be cacking it but I would love to give this all a go with help from on here :)

thanks

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I would like to go down the route of Nvidia as they pretty much have better support for the majority of games, or would you not agree?

AMD is equally good. Most of the other graphics chip manufacturers don't tend to have the performance anyway, they're not designed as gaming chips.

Your friend is a little out of date, that spec would have been reasonable a year ago but there's no reason not go for newer hardware now.

Will you be gaming on both monitors at once? That will double the load on the graphics card so you will need something faster if that's what you plan to do.

HDMI is a method of getting a video signal to the monitor, it doesn't affect it otherwise. Personally I'd pick up a monitor with a displayPort input (and ideally output too) for future compatibility but I'm not sure if they're available at that price yet.

So if we say £200 for the monitors, £50 for the Blu-ray drive and £100 for the speakers that gives us a £450 budget for the system.

I'd probably split it up something like:

£100-150 graphics card
£100 CPU
£50 motherboard
£30 case
£60 8GB of memory (2x4GB kit)
£40 power supply
£30 Good Wi-fi adapter (do you have an 802.11AC capable router?)

Total: £410-460

nathancom

The main change I would make would be to go for a Haswell chip i5 4670k with an 1150 socket. This will be more upgradeable since I believe the next gen of Intel cpu, Broadwell, will be on that socket. You can get motherboards with wireless built in.

When do you intend buying this? It is potentially worth seeing what gpu Nvidia release soon. Maxwell is their new architecture and they have just started releasing them. This will have two effects, new improved chips and cheaper prices on older chips.

The GTX 660 is a good gpu and I recently picked one up 2nd hand, but if I was buying new I would get a GTX 760 as it is a decent performance improvement over the 660. It is definitely worth looking out for deals on different graphics cards as there are often good deals. AMD is as good as Nvidia though personally I prefer the Nvidia software. The R9 280/R9 280X would be worth a look.

There are lots of good sellers - overclockers, scan, ebuyer, ccl etc. Also worth speaking to companies like DinoPC as they will probably build a PC for you to your specs for a very competitive price.

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
No mate just gaming on one, as said I won't be playing hardcore games that need spectacular gfx facrd

All we will be playing is Sims games in which the other half is def buying the latest Sims 4 when it's released, so it has to be able to play that seamlessly (sorry I don't have the spc for the game)

and the only other games I would def play would be Age of empire games and definetly the new SIm City game as they are bring Offline mode now (which I always wanted)

The second screen will be switched off probably while gaming but I will use it a lot when I am writing up documents and using it pretty much day to day usage while at home.

Honestly though it doesn't have to be over priced speakers Endless, they could be £50 ones from Argos :) In your quesition with the touter, we have the White Sky Hub and have Fibre coming in through a BT Modem

Nathan I will be buying this within the next week mate :) as I want to purchase this when I'm at home

A guy I have been speaking to on another website recommended this set up what do you think folks? Found here: Intel Core i5-4670K, MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti, Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed - System Build - PCPartPicker United Kingdom

Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card
Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

Last edited:

nathancom

Looks good, though i would be getting a stronger card, GTX760, as for a relatively small amount extra you will boost graphics performance significantly. If you do get a 760 I would get a 550w psu.

reneagac

Novice Member
Although 4670k is amazing CPU for the money I think in your situation and considering your choice of GPU you will be better off with i3. Many of my favourite games (Age Of Empires III, Fallout 3 / New Vegas, Skyrim, Crysis 1) they only use maximum of two cores anyway and although I am a geek and have itch to upgrade every day but I am still on to Core2Duo E8500 @ 3.9GHz from 2008! Fallout 3 heavily modded to beautiful graphic and high res textures too. New SimCity runs very smooth all highest details at 1080p just as everything else really just need decent GPU. I have most other things up to date (SSD, NVidia 670 GPU, SB ZxR, Be Quiet 850W Pro PSU, this beast cooler etc..) but really... no need for better CPU yet.

For apps and future games you will still have hyper-threading enabled on your i3 making it 4 virtual cores so it is future proof for the next 5 years or so. K series of your choosen i5 is good for overclocking but in the summer without any aftermarket cooler OC could fail. and would be bottlenecked all the time by your Graphic card anyway.

So i suggest saving money and go i3-4130. Money spent elsewhere (mainly GPU) or saved up will go much further.
The rest seems ok and I love your choice of motherboard !!
Any branded PSU at around 500W would be ok - esp. Corsairs which are great and 660 / 750Ti should serve you well.
PC case is a matter of choice although I always go for ones that are good at keeping at keeping noise down such as Fractal Design R4 or Antec P series. Nothing more annoying than PC sounding like a hoover when under load.

And with RAM.... look here. its cheaper, faster and still 9-9-9 timing (quick)!

Hope it helps :)

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
This sounds a bit better, I'm really trying to keep th costs down so I can manage to purcahse the monitors I want :)

reneagac

Novice Member
here I built a PC for you incl. sound card, some good £70 speakers and wireless card for £620 but it should run pretty much every game out there without trouble. Like... literally.. any game out there. 270x supposed to be way faster than 750Ti which can help with Sims 4 on dual monitor

Just replace that Ram there with those Ballistix ;)

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Honestly though it doesn't have to be over priced speakers Endless, they could be £50 ones from Argos :)

You asked for good speakers on an AV Enthusiasts forum.

we have the White Sky Hub

The old Netgear 834? You won't get exceptional speed out of that so a cheap wi-fi card would do, it's up to you whether you want to spend more now or when you upgrade the router.

reneagac list looks ok but I'd make the following points:

You don't need the features of a Z87 motherboard, an H87- or B85- based board will save you twenty or thirty quid.

The Xonar DG is very headphone focused, for speakers you might want to look at alternatives (or as you're not picky about them, scrap the sound card entirely and use the onboard).

Expensive cases don't offer that much more for your money. While they're nice to have, the system isn't going to have any problem running in a £20-30 case.

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
WHat has the Z87 got that I don't need mate?

and can you recommend another sound card then?

Endless why don't you give PCPARTPICKER a go and see what system you suggest ? ;)

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
WHat has the Z87 got that I don't need mate?

The main features it provides are the ability to overclock K suffix CPUs and the ability to split the PCI-E lanes as 8x/8x/4x instead of 16x/4x.

I would pick the speakers before you pick the sound card as it's going to partly depend on them. In particular whether they're 5.1, what connections they have and how much you end up spending on them (cheaper speakers are generally going to get less benefit from a sound card).

reneagac

Novice Member
I agree with endless, forgot there are other lower end chpset boards available. As for sound card... Perhaps try to get x-fi gamer? They very good on 3rd party (PAX) drivers - those are free to download of course. I disagree in regards to cheap PC cases. Unless you wanna deal with noise and dust colecting inside your PC all the time which will result in higher temperatures and even more noise over time

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
Yes this is what I mean reneagac, I just need the whole tower to provide me with the power to run those sort of games, the rest of the things I want to do with it is nothing.

I really don't need all those extras on the mother board and I certainly won't be overclocking :)

Also I have been reading problems with some Motherboards which need the Bios updated? how on earth do you do that when you can't even get on the net to get it updated? lol

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Also I have been reading problems with some Motherboards which need the Bios updated? how on earth do you do that when you can't even get on the net to get it updated? lol

Usually a problem when you buy a CPU that's a newer generation than the motherboard, you shouldn't run into that here.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom