Please help with my setup!

HelloMoto

Hi people, I have just bought a Toshiba 42X3030D, Pioneer DV600-AV and Yamaha AV61 package (the RX-V361 receiver)

I have wired all the speakers up etc, but now I am lost with all of the outputs and sockets on the back and where to put what.

I have a Virgin cable box and an XBox 360 and the DVD player to hook up, any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

:lease:

HelloMoto

I know it was a dumb question, but thanks a lot that really saved me a hell of a lot of hassle, the manual has gone walkabouts and I was at my wits end.

Off to get another Optical cable, had 2, need another.

Thanks again!

stevelup

Distinguished Member
It's not quite that simple...

The 361 has two optical and one coaxial input.

You don't state which Virgin box you have, nor the make and model of the DVD player, nor which cable you have for the XBOX

Do you want to pass all your video sources through the amp or leave each one connected directly to the display?

More info is required!

HelloMoto

It's not quite that simple...

The 361 has two optical and one coaxial input.

You don't state which Virgin box you have, nor the make and model of the DVD player, nor which cable you have for the XBOX

Do you want to pass all your video sources through the amp or leave each one connected directly to the display?

More info is required!

Well I said it was the original Cable box (Explorer 4000DVB), but I'll be upgrading to the V+ box soon.

The DVD player is the Pioneer DV600-AV (as mentioned in 1st post)

I'd like to pass as much as possible through the amp yes, can that be done though, it isn't a really expensive amp like the proper hardcore tech heads have.

stevelup

Distinguished Member
D'oh - missed the DVD player.

OK. You can use the coaxial digital output from your DVD player. This will leave the two optical inputs free for your XBOX and future V+ box.

You can - if you wish - run all the devices through your amplifier without incurring any extra costs (once you've got the V+ box) - by using the component video sockets on the amp.

I'm not convinced this is a good idea though - it will cause problems with V+ apart from anything else as they do not allow you to view HD or certain On Demand stuff via analogue component.

I believe your TV has 2 x HDMI connectors as well as component video inputs. That being the case, I'd do the following.

Before V+:-
Cable box SCART into TV and L+R phono's into AMP
DVD - HDMI direct into TV, optical into amplifier
360 - Component direct into TV, optical into amplifier

After V+:-
V+ - HDMI direct into TV, optical into amplfiier
DVD - HDMI direct into TV, coaxial into amplifier
360 - Component direct into TV, optical into amplifier.

Steve

HelloMoto

Thanks a lot, that has been a big help.

I had all the cables but didn't know where they went.

All working now, I'm off to enjoy Bioshock!

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom