Please help with my new JVC D-VHS!

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Tim Ashdown, Aug 16, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I've recently purchased a Jvc DR10000 D-VHS from the clasifieds forum and am having a bit of dificulty.
    I have it connected from its AV1 output to the vcr input on a sky+ box, using a 5 metre fully wired Ixos scart lead (pretty certain it can pass RGB). I then have the sky+ box connected from its output to a Panasonic 36PF10 TV via a QED 1 metre Sqart (again fine for RGB). The sky+ box is set to output RGB and the picture is fantastic. Until... I press play on the video. The video picture is great except when I press stop the picture looks like it has reverted to a composite signal. The sky box is still in RGB but its like the video is taking priority and in the vcr's menu it can only output video or s-video. Obviously if I turn the video off it reverts back to RGB and everything is fine, but this a real pain. Incidently my previous video was connected in the exact same way and I did not have this problem. That was a Jvc HRS-7500 S-VHS.
    Does anybody know if the video can output RGB or another way of having it so it doesn't take priority. Have I got it connected wrong. Seems strange for a video of this calibre to not output RGB. Sorry its long winded, I just want to make sure I don't miss anything.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. anyway of turning the DV input into an output. Thanks.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    I had a JVC D-VHS setup for prior to making the leap to DVDR. I didn't have it setup like you though - I output RGB from my Digibox to a splitter and then to a RGB-S-Video converter to input into the DVHS (as the best input it could accept was S-Video and my Digibox had no S-Video output). The quality was excellent.

As you have Sky+ why not use the S-Video output to go directly to the D-VHS and then from their to the TV whilst retaining the Sky RGB>TV connection? The only snag is that to do this you need modified Scart connectors as your standard ones will get in the way of the Audio In/Out on the Sky+ unit.

I'm afraid not.

3. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Was thinking about using the S-video on the sky+ box. On.y problem being I assumed as my last setup worked fine this would too. Therefore I laid the cables under the floor boards. When I imagine the carnage caused by lifting it all back up it makes my issue pale into insignificance! Thats what I thought about the DV input. Shame as I wanted to put footage on the PC in digital form.

Cheers anyway. Thanks for your help.

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    If you have the same model of DVHS VCR that I have - JVC HMDR10000 - then it is definitely NOT capable of RGB - can't record an RGB source, can't output RGB. Your only options are composite and S-Video. (And, as you say, there is a DV/Firewire input - not output - but good luck finding a Sky box with a firewire output! This is really only useful for backing up footage from a DV camcorder.)

Sky+ S-Video/phono output fed into the S-Video/phono inputs on the VCR front panel works well. (I find I need to set the Sky+ box to maximum volume and contrast levels for best results). S-Video output via SCART also works quite well. There are some menu options and/or switches that you may need to set to propely enable S-Video on everything.

5. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Cheers for the reply Nicolas.

Sorry, I meant camcorder footage, not sky footage. But saying that, they have HDTV boxes with firewire outputs don't they? Can't be too far off as DVI is starting to appear on DVD's in larger numbers.

I may have to use the S-video outputs after all, but do not want to take up the floor for the cables. Does anyone know if you can get an adaptor to change the end of my QED scart into an S-video/stereo phonos. Maybe like a female scart on one end with the S/RCA connections on the other end.

Never seen one before....

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    If you can get one (and I've never seen one either) the quality will be reduced (which would rather negate the point of your DVHS wouldn't it) - your better off just buying a new lead IMHO.

e.g. AV17 here:
    http://www.hificables.co.uk/acatalog/Cable_catalogue_SCART_to_S_VHS_cables_17.html