1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help with my hanging Idea

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by nwthompson, Jul 4, 2005.

1. nwthompson

nwthompson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a little Idea for my 5.1 speaker system.

I was wondering if there was any merit in hanging my speakers to the ceiling on bungee cord.

This would help because...

It alows me to position them exactly where I want in all dimentions
    It is the best form or isolation I can think of
    I cant knock them over and they take no floor space
    The sub wont make all my stuff vibrate

I am a little worried about it though, as I am also lead to belive that the speaker must be firmly mounted or grounded?

Please could somebody that understands more than my lame knowlage explain wether this is a good plan or plain stupid!!!

Thankyou

2. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's a good plan for the satellites, but a very poor idea for the sub. The sub needs to be firmly coupled to the floor to allow the speaker to move and the box to stay still.

3. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's probably a bad idea for the sats as well - there's a reason why the best speaker stands cost so much! Given that speakers are basically a whacking great magnet vibrating back and forward, pushing air around, keeping them as still as possible is the key. Interestingly, the B+W PV1 sub, with its opposing woofers, may be about the only candidate for 'hanging'...

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Would have to say that it wouldnt be a great idea to hand them from bungie cord due to the reasons given above. There may be a stand which could be mounted to the ceiling or potentially a projector mount that could do the trick but the latter is probably going to be expensive.

The idea of seeing a load of speakers spinning and bouncing from the ceiling during an action film is rather funny though and may be worth doing for the comedy value