1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

please help with my buzzing plasma screen/faulty power supply

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by newstuart, Jul 20, 2005.

1. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Ive got a 18 month old Daewoo (dont laugh i bought it before i really got into home cinema or found this site!) plasma screen. It has developed a loud buzzing noise which gets worse when its displaying a bright image and almost silent with a dark one.Because of this I think this is a problem lies with its power transformer ?

Daewoo customer services ( or lack of !) :thumbsdow are worse than useless and after them taking it away 3 time's ive now given up on them.

Does anyone have any expirience with replacing the power transformer with a better performing one or is able to point me toward a shop near newcastle upon tyne who may be able to help ?

failing that has anybody got any suggestions on how else i could shut the thing up ?? :lease: :lease: :lease: :lease: :lease: :lease: :lease:

2. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Every plasma has a faint buzzing noise that changes in pitches depending on whether you are watching a bright or dark scene. I can only hear it if i have the sound way low and i am watching late at night, otherwise its impossible to hear.

3. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    this isnt a faint buzzing though sadly, Ive sat with a few friends screens and this is 10 times worse to the point of distraciton when watching something

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You get the odd one like this. Not laughing at all, it s serious for you, the customer service is part of what you pay for. Get Daewoo to do something, or more to the point, your retailer, they are liable to supply you with goods fit for purpose. Kick their butt, if it's loud get a second opinion/engineers report. Where are you, perhaps a forum pro can help you.

5. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hi and thanks for your input MAW, Its from Richer Sounds and is infact a replacement screen after complaining as far as I could get (took alot of calls to their head office!). Even they admit its a well known problem the the Daewoo models and believe its a power supply issue. This screen isnt as bad but compared to the last one but is still very poor and much worse than other models ive heard at friends houses etc

To be honest, short of legal action I think ive got as much from them as im going to hence looking into ways to do it myself. The RS engineer even advised that its a well known issue.

To be honest im just sick of the whole thing and ive taken 4 days off work while its been collected/returned etc and if I can get it sorted myself for reasonable money im inclined to do it. I know its not the way things should be but ive just reached that point now.

Really shocked me as they have always had a reasonable reputation but this has taken 6 months of messing about allready.

Im in Newcastle upon Tyne if there is anyone who can help id be most gratefull.

6. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Could'nt you try to strike a deal with RS over a trade-in?(maybe for a Panny 37")

The fault lies with the screen which they have admitted is faulty