1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLEASE HELP with HALF LIFE 2

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by JiMbOb_74, Nov 22, 2004.

1. JiMbOb_74

JiMbOb_74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought it finally and it will not even install!

I keep getting told i have a cabinet error or something. I rang game and they where no help!

Please anyone What am i doing wrong or is it a faulty disk?
    :lease:

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,242
    I think the first thing most people will want to know is the full spec of your PC, e.g processor, memory, video card etc.

Then maybe the full text of the error message you are getting.

Greg

3. JiMbOb_74

JiMbOb_74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to run on....

2gig amd ,512meg, radeon 9000 with 180gig h/drive with 90 gig free

The error reads...

error 1335.the cabinet file 'hl2.cab' required for this installion is corrupt and cannot be used.this could indicate a network error,an error reading from the cd rom,or a problem with the package.

I have tried allsorts please help!!!!! i want to play

p.s. couldnt cut and paste so have typed the above hope its right!

4. stuart-f

stuart-f
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This will be no consolation but I get the exact same problem and repeated installs point up different cab files. I did manage to load it completely at one point but then it failed to run. You can be pretty sure it'll be a hardware/software problem and nothing to do with the disc. I had a similar problem with Rome:Total War although when I finally managed to load it after several attempts it does actually run albeit it still crashes now and again.

I know I have a problem with my machine in that regularly dies with a 'blue screen of death', I'm running XP Pro/SP1 in case you were wondering. I think it might be due to my memory configuration in that I have 1x512MB & 2x256MB SIMS, i.e. I don't have matched pairs. I have ordered 2x512MB chips from DABS and should get them tomorrow. If I have any more success then I'll post back here.

5. bigwig

bigwig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Deselect option to install counterstrike:source, will give you these errors.
    If this is what you have done then try a fresh install with cs:source included.
    After installing and registering your copy you can uninstall it later.
    K.

6. JiMbOb_74

JiMbOb_74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have installed it with the counterstrike selected. A friend has just managed to install it on his machine...so what do i do? Is it worth re installing windows...cleaning up the drive /defrag.

I have tried the phone numbers on the box and they dont work...wrong number!

Game have also told me i cannot have a refund if it doesnt work...

help!

7. bigwig

bigwig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    What?? Game have a 10 day no fuss returns policy - You say that you just bought it yesterday so there should be no problem returning it.

The problem is obviously not with the disc though so if you really want to play it (i.e. you are human and have even the slightest interest in video games) then i'd keep looking for a solution. Your Video card is not the quickest but it's capable of running the game so that shouldn't be a problem.

If you can't find a solution then i'd try the full reinstall option personally as that should then tell you if it's a hardware problem. A clean install of XP (with a full update done) on a formatted HD should rule out software issues.

I take it you have done a full Spyware & virus scan.

My thoughts regarding Hardware are that there may be a problem with your DVD drive, or maybe HL2 doesn't like older Drives or something - not sure how old yours is.

9. JiMbOb_74

JiMbOb_74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was told when I bought the game at game that I couldnt get a refund if there was a problem.I asked was there any problems he knew of and he said he hasnt had any back!

As for the drive..I have 2 ... an old pioneer dvd reader (slot loader) which has been fine and a year old is NEC dvd reader/writer still never had a problem with.. One thing I did try was to upload into a folder on my hd and install from there... I installed and crashed in the same place only quiker!!!

I see on the steam site there a many people with the problem 1335 as its known but nobody has a fix for it.I would be happy with a credit note from game if they cant refund the price but I wanted to play half life 2 not have an evening of reinstalling etc... thats why games consoles are better for games cos they just work!

Any help would be appreciated as I will be attempting to return the game today or tomorow depending on work

10. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    It's true about Game - they apparently won't refund or exchange PC games due to piracy........

So what does "chipping" your Xbox and PS2 do then exactly ???? :oops:

Can't comment on the issue with HL2 - mine installed fine. It does make me wonder if the DVD has protection - as Vampire:Bloodlines states that the game may not work on certain drives due to copy protection. This AFAIK doesn't present issues on installation though.

However - if the disk is "faulty" - Game HAVE to exchange it and even if not, it's not "fit for purpose".

11. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Cant you download it from steam instead?

12. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Long shot but if your friend has installed it then perhaps its your DVD drive ? Worth swapping it out just to test ?

13. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    GAME will exchange PC Games, just not ones where you have to register online like MMORPGs and STEAM.

I have exchanged PC Games there before..... it is bloomin easier to pirate X-Box games these days than PC Games!

14. Dandle

Dandle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you have broadband download steam and use the cd key from your game, then you should be able to play HL2 via steam. Will be alot of downloading but gets around using your cd drives.

~Dan~

15. Imrahil

Imrahil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem... exchanged it for another copy and it installed fine
    I think there's a small batch of dodgy discs out there

16. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Surely they will offer you an exchange if you think the disc is faulty.
    Personally I went the steam download route.

17. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I don't care what their 'returns policy' is it doesn't affect your statutory rights.
    Personally after hearing this story I wouldn't touch GAME with a barge pole.
    It makes me angry when shops bully customers and make up their own rules.

I don't buy many games but I will definately buy this one. But it won't be from a shop like GAME.

-Neil

18. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Take HL2 back and exchange it for a PS2/XBox game then go back a few days later for a refund ;)

:rolleyes:

19. JiMbOb_74

JiMbOb_74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good ideas everyone. but I WANT TO PLAY HALF LIFE 2!!!
    Have finished halo 2(too easy) and now need something else!!

I have spoken to game and they will swap for something else so all is not lost but I agree its not very fair... If i was copying games why would I buy this ! I can get it of the net if I want to copy it...

Sounds like its not that good anyway because I have been told its full of bugs...

Thats why the xbox is better for games ... not technically but the fact that it works...every time with no messing around...

Thanks to all who have tried but I am gonna take it back and swap it unless someone can tell me what to do to get it installed and running properly...

:suicide: :eek:

20. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
    If you still have it try this,

Underclock yr ram, enter the bios and select yr ram timings manually, if for example its DDR 400 then set it as DDR 333.

Once installed put yr ram back to default or whatever settings yr using.

I used to have problems with a windows cab file on 1 of my pc's but not on any other so that ruled out the disc, underclocking the mem it installed without problem.

Hope it helps you as its a great game.

21. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Played on at least heroic?

22. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I had exactly same problem and tried the disk on 2 different DVD drives. The fix for me was as follows.

Remove (or in my case rename) the steam directory (I already had CS installed so had a steam directory and this seems to cause a problem on the install). Once I got rid of that I let it do a full install (including CS) and then it worked fine. A number of people on the overclockers games half life2 forum had similar problems.

Give it a try if not you might be unlucky and have a duff DVD.

And btw trust me its well worth the effort :thumbsup:

23. stuart-f

stuart-f
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since I changed my memory configuration to 2 matched 512MB SIMMS HL2 has loaded and run without a hitch so I'm blaming my previous unbalanced setup.
    If you bought your PC pre-built then this should not be an issue but if you have changed the memory then it might be worth looking at.