1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help with graphics card

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by OhPinchy, Jun 15, 2005.

1. OhPinchy

OhPinchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I am about to build an MCE machine and cannot get my head around the graphics cards requirements as I don't know much about graphics cards.

I have read here that an Nvidia 6600/6600GT/6800 would be good for MCE. I will have two extenders and so could be watching two different channels in two different rooms and watching a recorded show in a third room. Will 128MB be enough or do I need 256MB.

From what I can see I need an AGP card (whatever that is) - can I just get any card that is on the MCE compatible list? I have found this one here at what seems a decent card for a 256MB card and it seems to be on the MCE compatible list and has VGA and DVI outputs.

Is this a decent card?

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1033697&productID=137080

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Hi, that graphics card looks good, and should do what you need it to do. As long as it is on the MCE compatible list, and you use the MCE drivers you should be relatively problem free. Many of us on these forums have gone for fan-less graphics cards as they are silent. Most graphics cards have fans that spin round to keep them cool, and these make a noise, if your HTPC is going to be in the lounge, you may find the noise annoying.

Gigabyte do a range of passively cooled cards that are very good for HTPC's. You should check that your motherboard has an AGP slot, before buying an AGP card. A newer type of architecture called PCI-Express is an alternative to AGP slots, and you have to have one or the other, as they are not compatible.

I don't think that will be enough memory for extenders. I can't find it at the mo but on the Microsoft MCE site there should be a guide on memory requirements for MCE plus extenders.

lisa

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming this is graphics card memory it won't make any difference regarding the extenders. The 256Mb may be best if you are into intensive games.

If you are talking about motherboard memory, then I would recommend a gigabyte made up of 2x512Mb sticks.

Dave

4. OhPinchy

OhPinchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the help folks.

I'm gonna go with an AMD Athlon 3200+ CPU and a motherboard with PCI-Express so will go for PC Express graphics card. I will also get 1GB RAM.

From DaveP's point it looks like the graphics card doesn't really need 256MB as I won't be playing games and I will have the 1GB RAM which should be enough for the extenders.

It seems that a 6600 card with 256MB is a similar price to (or cheaper than) a 6600GT card with only 128MB. What is GT and does it make such a difference to merit choosing a 128MB GT card over a 256MB 6600 card?

I've come across some cards which don't appear to be on the MCE compatible list but very similar models (e.g. 128MB is but 256MB is not on list) from the same manufacturer - is it worth risking it with these cards?