Please help with choice ...!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by hare_sa, Mar 13, 2006.

1. hare_sa

hare_sa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am new here and I do not know is this right topic for this post, but mods can move it where it belongs

I am looking into projector who can do the folowing ...

Projection distance will be from arround 13 to 15 meters
    Diagonal picture needs to be at least 6-7 meters.
    What is the problem here ( for me it is, for you probably not ) is that the screen will be outside of building ( outdoor ) and picture will be projecting during sunny time, rain, snowy time etc so basicaly I need some projector who can produce a very good picture on the daylight and specialy when is sunny time.
    I am not sure what kind of projector I need, how many ANSI i need, how much these type of projectors cost etc and I am looking for your help and suggestions.

I have looked into two toshiba models ( my friend is distributer for Toshiba and that is why I have looked into their models ) Toshiba TW300 with 3000ANSI and Toshiba X4500 with 4500ANSI ... If you could take a look on them and give your suggestions or if you know any other model that will meet my requirements I would me more than grateful.

Thank you in advance people and kind regards,

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,449
    You will need a very bright projector (brighter than the Sun if you want to project in bright sunlight) and a high gain grey screen is probably your only real choice. A black wall may work to a point if a black reflective screen material isn't available. That's the only way to get any visible contrast from an image under those lighting conditions as far as I know.

I doubt you'll get a watchable image under most of the daylight conditions you mention, and the brighter the pj the more chance of seeing an image, so 4500 lumens would work best (if at all, and those figures may actually be 40% lower in real terms). The projector will have to project an image brighter than the surrounding light in order for you to see the image, and if the surface you will be projecting onto is protected (shaded) from the ambient daylight, you may have half a chance.

The black level will only be as black as the screen is with the projector off, so in your case it will be a bright grey, but a black surface may work to a point

I think you might be dissapointed with the results if you go this route, so if you can get some kind of demo in the lighting conditions you want, that will save you wasting your money if it's not going to work.

Gary

3. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    As gary said. There's a reason why cinema's aren't open air and shown during the day. If you have any reasonable amount of sun light hitting the screen then your not going to see anything.

A couple of suggestions.

1. Make a huge rear projection set up. You'll need a lot of space or a set of mirrors behind the screen but they can give acceptable results.

2. Buy a videowall.

4. hare_sa

hare_sa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do not have that big budget for videowall ... I toth if it possible to go with this option but I guess is not worth it at least with day light. Than I can go just witj night presentation and will spend much less money but will be limited to to projections just when is low light condition and over the night!

5. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    If you go with low light / night time conditions then you should still use Gary's suggestion of projecting against a mid to dark grey screen to improve your blacks.

6. hare_sa

hare_sa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have decided to go only with night projection and/or sometimes low light conditions projection. So i guess 2500-3000 ANSI projector will work for me ( if not please tell me ) and the contrast should be around 2000:1

So what type of screen should I use??? Like you said mid to dark grey screen!? Is there any link of screen so I can take a look exactly what screen I need!

Tnx guys

7. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    I think you'll be hard pressed to find a proper screen in that size.

I think you'll need to get a large sheet of fabric from somewhere or get someone to stitch together some large sheets of black out blind material.
    You could then build a frame for it (scalfolding?) and then paint it grey.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

8. hare_sa

hare_sa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is what I had in mind, to build up my own screen and build up a frame for it also.
    But before I do anything I need your advice ... Projector distance will be approx 10-12 meters, maybe less and like I said just nigh projection will be used. What screen size will best fit for this distance to have best posible picture resolution and what color to use on sheet, dark???

9. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,283
    you want to get the PJ as close to the screen as possible, so distance and screen size all depends on the PJ you get.

your friend should be able to get you specs on distance needed to get the required picture size for toshiba pj :)

10. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,449
    If you divide the projector lumens by the screen area (in square feet), that will give you a number which represents reflectance.

I would reduce the advertised lumens by 40% and this wil take into account probable real world lumens and some lamp aging. You will want at least 12 for pitch black conditions, maybe a little more. 9 to 12 is approximately what you would get at your local cinema.

So, if you had a 2500:1 projector, I would use 1500:1 as my 'real' lumens number. A 16:9 screen that is around 15ft wide (a little under 5m wide) will give you a little under the magic 12 number, so that would be my maximun size for a screen. Ideally though, you could experiment with sheets or blackout cloth to see what size screen gives you a brightness that you are happy with before building the screen to a size for the final install. Don't forget that the lamp will dim with age so don't rely on something being OK if it is just about bright enough for what you want.

Gary