1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help with choice on Projector!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by l33750rz, Sep 17, 2005.

1. l33750rz

l33750rz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I am very new to Projectors. I recently discovered how amazing these devices can be and I would like to purchase one. The only bad thing is I have no idea what type to buy, what resolution, DLP or LCD, how much it should weigh or any other type of questions that I need to know.

This is the situation. The room is approximately 15 ft x 15 ft and I would like to hook it up to my Cable. The Cable Box has a HD Tuner in it and has DVI out, S-Video out, Component out, and RCA out. I would also like to hook up my DVD player with a HDMI cable to it. Please help me out and tell me about how much I am looking to spend and where to get started in my search! BTW: I would like to be able to view HD quality picture from the projector as well.

Thanks~!

2. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Whats your budget?
    Have you ever demo'd a DLP projector before? (Look up rainbows)
    Is the room light controlled or does some light seep in when curtains closed etc?
    Do you want to watch Cable TV in the daytime?

Do you want flexible placement option for your projector? Ceiling mounting helps with keeping it safe from toddlers but costs more for brackets, longer leads etc. Or are you not bothered where it goes?

Do you have a decent sound system already?

Do you want a Pulldown screen, electric screen etc or could you make your own with the correct products?

This will help narrow down your projectors for a start.

3. l33750rz

l33750rz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My budget is around $1k - $2k.

Nope, I have never demo'd a DLP projector before.

The room has some light that seeps in when the curtains are closed.

I would like to watch Cable TV during the daytime, but if I can't thats not that big of a deal.

I would most likely mount in on the ceiling.

I have a decent sound system already, but I am also looking to buy a new system soon.

Do you actually need a screen? Or could you just use the white wall to shine the projector on?

Thank you so much for your help.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A white wall would suffice initially but a screen would be far better. Better uniformity etc.

:smoke:

5. l33750rz

l33750rz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, if you could give me some advice on which Projector would be best for me and what type of screen I would need I would be really appreciative. Like I said, I have no idea what type of Projector I need so if you can tell me what I need let me know.

6. l33750rz

l33750rz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any suggestions?

7. DigglerD

DigglerD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in the same boat as you. Some ambient light, blank white wall, wanted to watch day or night with some TV and XBox in between. After reading a lot of reviews on projector central I decided on the Optoma H31. It has met all of my requirements BUT I have yet to see anything about it here so take that as you will.

After you get one, you will prob want to start on a screen... I am working on a screen now but being from the US, I can't get Dulux Icestorm paint... given that I'm beginning to think any silver will work.

8. l33750rz

l33750rz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, well right now I am looking at the Sanyo Z4 whenever it comes out. (it may be out now, i have no idea) Along with the white walls, I have a dresser in my room that has a huge mirror attached to it. This may also cause a problem with the projector. I read a few suggestions to rule the white walls out and get a silver screen instead of a plain white one. Like I said, I am very much a noobie with projectors and I also live in US.

If anyone has any suggestions these are the things I am looking for:

HD Compatible
    HDMI Input
    Component Input
    S-Video Input
    Analog Computer / DVI Computer Input
    Long lasting bulb

And please take into account the white walls and the big mirror. As far as viewing the projector in the day time, I have someone who can make black-out curtains for me which blocks all light coming in. If someone can explain to me what "lumens" are and the cost I am looking at to replace the bulb or whatever I have to replace after so many hours of usage. If someone can help me, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

9. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a Z3 (the predecessor to the Z4 your considering) and find it fantastic. It was my first projector also.

My room has very light walls (cheesecake - which is a sort of yellowy cream). The projected image still looks fine.

My 28" tv (used for normal everyday tv viewing) sits just to the left and infront of the pj screen, acting a bit like a mirror I guess, doesn't appear to affect the image or my enjoyment one bit.

I have found the Z3 prefers an HDMI or VGA source rather than component.

If the Z4 is better than the Z3 you certainly won't be dissapointed :thumbsup: .

Go on and take the plunge, once you've got the PJ you can worry about the mirror and the white walls and the screen. You can always change anything which doesn't work later -you'll still enjoy the cinema experience whilst your sorting out the minor niggles along the way.

10. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Also, I have a white pull-down screen and the image is sublime. I think most people here recommend an off-white matt grey rather than an out and out silver surface for a homemade screen.

11. Penfold73

Penfold73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    The last Z3s are very cheap at the moment. Approx £680 from Nexnix, amazing value.

12. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You need to demo one, its quite rare nowdays for people to see rainbows due to faster spinning colour wheels but if you are prone to seeing rainbows then you will get headaches, sickness etc. Not worth risking it imo. Unless you can get something that is 5x colour wheel or 6x as I hear rainbows are almost eliminated at this speed. You also have to consider that your significant other might see them if you dont.

You can get Blackout material (mine was white and looked like an expensive heavy curtain) and its very cheap. Just sew it onto the back of your existing curtain and it blocks light completly. If you have blinds then thats a different issue.

You could get a projector with a lumen output greater than 1000 to compensate for some light in the room (daytime viewing). I hear that above 1600 is fine with the curtains open but your moving into a different terrortory here. The brighter the image the less contrast you can acheive and contrast is king as it creates the 3D'ness to an image, really takes you into a film.

Maybe other forum members can comment here on this. I know that my AE100 is totoally unwatchable in the day.

Ebay sells some cheap universal projector mounts for under 30 quid, some forum members use these and say they are fine. You could get an official one but your looking at over 100 quid for one.

If you already have 5.1 or better then you will be fine for now. There are other forums here that you may wish to look at for sound systems.

You can shine a projector onto a wall, and it will look ok. I actually shine mine onto a yellow wall at the moment and its alright but its a temporary solution until I can mount my DaLite screen. The benefit of a screen is that they either absorb light or reflect it back to give a better image. A painted wall may reflect it back so much that you get light spill all around your room which degrades the picture or washes it out slightly. Most screens are pull down so you can mount it and lift it up into its casing when not in use. Some people have built their own screens using special paint and MDF borders for less than 20 quid so search the forums for DIY Screens.

Your welcome.

Edit:
    I suggest you read these two guides

http://www.projectorcentral.com/buyers_guide.cfm
    http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/homecinemaadvice.htm

Anim

13. Nick Odgers

Nick Odgers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Themescene H30A is every bit as good as the reviews say.