Please help with advice on optical cables. Thanks.

stephenk89

Please help with advice on optical cables. Thanks.

Hi all,

I hope that you're all well.

Long-time reader, but first-time poster :)

I've heard that with HDMI cables, it doesn't make any difference how much you spend on them as the quality is all the same.

However, is the same true for optical cables? Could somebody please provide a brief explanation about how this works and could you also please recommend me a top quality optical cable to buy.

Many thanks for reading and I look forward to hopefully reading your responses.

Best Wishes

Stephen :)

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Yep there is a big thread on HDMI the short of is basically as it is a digital signal then it work or it doesn't. There have also been scientific tests of cables to prove the Picture is identical when transmitted.

Optical is the same principle and also has the advantage that it is immune from electrical noise during transmission.

With sound people have argued there is more of an issue with timing and associated jitter so you might read about that online. Some audiophiles will swear they can hear the difference but others will cast them down in flames.

A lot of devices will reclock the data anyway so jitter isn't a problem.

There are some very cheap cables out there which you might want to avoid but something like Amazon Basics are highly though after a 1m is under a fiver delivered. Just make sure you don't kink or have a really small bend radius in the cable.

I wouldn't necessarily pay any more than that.

Don't be fooled into a PC World gold plated connector required to give the best electrical contact at a mere £49.99 ... Erm yep right guys you really don't understand how optical transmission works do you .... :devil:

stephenk89

Hi ChuckMountain,
Thanks very much for your very helpful and detailed response.
Many thanks too for all of the information that you've given me. I'm pleased to see that it's not worth spending a lot of money on optical cables and I'll definitely look at getting one of those Amazon Basics ones which you've kindly recommended.
By this, - "Just make sure you don't kink or have a really small bend radius in the cable." - Do you mean that I should make sure that I get a cable longer than I actually need, so that it isn't too tight when connecting it, if that makes sense.
Many thanks again for your help.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
By this, - "Just make sure you don't kink or have a really small bend radius in the cable." - Do you mean that I should make sure that I get a cable longer than I actually need, so that it isn't too tight when connecting it, if that makes sense
When you buy a cable there shouldn't be any strain on the plugs\connectors caused by a cable being a bit "short" so it should be the right length.

Bend radius is more akin to a hose pipe, bend it too far back on itself or a get a kink and it will impact the water flow. You can have the same issue with electric cables and optical cables. Not normally anything to worry about unless you are say a very tight cabinet and you are forcing the cable into a bend of less than say an inch.

stephenk89

Hi ChuckMountain,
Thanks very much for your quick reply again. That's great, thanks and that all makes sense.
Many thanks again for your help.
Best Wishes

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom