Please help with a future setup! MacBook Pro. NAS? Sonos?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Sherratt, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Sherratt

Sherratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. I can't get my head around how this will all work and there is so much information out there I can't make sense of it.

I have the following:
    - MacBook Pro laptop 250GB which is almost full
    - Sonos speakers in my kitchen diner

If I were to buy a Dronos NAS and connected it to my BT home hub with an Ethernet cable, would it simply be a matter of moving my entire iTunes media library located on my MacBook wirelessly over to it? Surely this would take ages?

Once it's on the Dronos NAS, instead of playing music from my iTunes library on my MacBook, instead I'd use the Sonos interface pulling information wirelessly from the Dronos?

I do not have a desktop, that's my issue. My MacBook is my only computer (and my iPhone).

Thanks

2. rs6mra

rs6mra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The answer to your first question is yes but you would be better off connecting the MacBook to the BT Home Hub as it wouldn't take as long to transfer the files.

Once its on the NAS, all you would need to do it point your Sonos to the iTunes library on the NAS and that's it. You MacBook would no longer be required to playback on your Sonos although you would still be able to control the Sonos using the MacBook.

3. Sherratt

Sherratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Thanks. So to clarify, if I wanted to transfer large files to a NAS, I could have a second Ethernet cable coming out of my home hub which I could connect to my MacBook and then unplug when done?

I know this is walking into HTPC territory but if eventually I wanted to play films, would I need to buy a Mac Mini which would be hooked up to the TV via HDMI and also Ethernet cable to the BT home? That way, I would download films onto the Mac Mini using the TV as a monitor and transfer them onto the NAS? Then I'd run a program like PLEX on the Mac Mini to view/select films (and music)?

Sorry if this is basic but I want to get my around the setup I would need without spending a load of money on things that I may not need.

4. Sherratt

Sherratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I just impulse bought a Mac Mini 2014 model from a [email protected] auction for £330 including Bluetooth mouse and keyboard..... If I don't need it I'm sure I can get my money back.

Anyway, please help me with my above post, thanks.

5. rs6mra

rs6mra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    That is correct, just hook up another cable to the MacBook.

Purchasing a Mac Mini would be a very expensive way to go about it if you wanted to watch movies stored on your NAS on your TV.
    You could use your MacBook to get the movies onto the NAS and then opt for a media player (client device) that would be the device that would enable you to watch whats stored on your NAS on your TV. You stated downloading films; are you referring to films that would be purchased from the iTunes store? If so then you'll need something like an Apple TV or the likes as the client.
    The client device would have an ethernet port which you would connect to the Home Hub and the device you would connect via HDMI to the TV.
    I must however state that i personally do not use Apple products but I have them all around me in use by my family. My NAS is set up so that my kids can store and playback their photos and videos on their iX devices.

6. rs6mra

rs6mra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Our posts must have crossed paths.
    I bought my wife a Mac Mini a couple of months ago but other than set it up I have not used it but I am pretty certain you can use it as you asked above.

7. Sherratt

Sherratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Thank you. That makes it clearer to me.

Unfortunately I have a 5 year old Panasonic TV. Although top of the range at its time, it's not a smart TV so I don't have the option to download a media client onto it and I can't afford £1,500 on a new TV right now lol.

Yes posts have crossed. So my Mini Mac which I've literally just won on [email protected] will act as the client device? I just download PLEX onto it and hook it up to my home hub and TV. I then buy a NAS and hook that up to the hub. If I want to watch a downloaded film from iTunes, I simply switch the AV source to the Mini Mac, open PLEX which will be pointing at the NAS where films/media is stored and click "play" so to speak?

Thanks for your help so far.

8. rs6mra

rs6mra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Apple to Apple devices play well together so I do not think you will have to install Plex client on the Mac Mini. With the Mac Mini connected directly to the TV all you will be doing is playing back what is stored on it or on the NAS.
    I run an HP Microserver with Xpenology installed on it which allows me to also install Plex as an add-on. I have only ever used Plex client on the TV just to make sure I was able to playback music videos i bought on iTunes many years ago and it worked. All other videos or photographs are viewed via the TV/Blu-Ray's built in Apps as they are all DLNA compatible.

9. Sherratt

Sherratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Just bought a used Drobo NAS off ebay and 4TB storage..... This has been an unexpected pricey day!

10. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,650
    For media playback on the TV, would a simple media streamer be worth considering...? They presumably cost less than a Mac Mini and come with their own remote control stick. Hook such to TV using HDMI (if TV has a socket spare) sound system using TOS or SPDIF (presuming you have a separate sound system as all AVF'rs do :D) and the network using ethernet to avail connection to NAS. Not sure if a generic device would talk iTunes though, but if you are only using iTunes to download content and store it on the NAS, then the existing Macbook could continue to do such.

11. rs6mra

rs6mra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    You don't hang about do you?