1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help - wife's damaged my extender

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Belaggio, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Belaggio

Belaggio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right,

I had Sky install an extender from my Digibox in the living room to he bedroom so that we can watch TV and change channels. Came with a new remote. All well and good.

The missus, whilst cleaning, pushed the TV back and broke the extender. OK I said, I'll order another one from Maplins.

Got it from Maplins, installed it and hey presto a picture. Excellent I'm thinking, until I try to change channels. No response :mad:

Am I right in thinking that the remote needs a new code so that new extender reads it properly. If so how do I go about it?

ta peeps

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. Divorce wife!

2. Make sure that the remote extender is connected to the TV set via a short flexible coax lead and NOT plugged directly into the TV set. (Next time you might not be so lucky and it will damage the TV tuner).

3. Look at the RF Output menu (in the secret Installer Setup menu). Make sure the RF output voltage is set to "ON" and the LED on the extender is lit.

Fman

3. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Belaggio

Belaggio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah the RF voltage is on because it was originally set up like that.

Originally I had the extender and a remote working perfectly. Now I've got a new extender the remotes not working with it. It's getting a bit frustrating now.

Oh - and I've threatened her with divorce if it happens again. :laugh:

5. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But when you short-circuit the connections, the Digibox automatically shuts the voltage off. So you have to view the menu and that tells the Digibox to turn the voltage back on. The SkyLink LED will then light.

Fman

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    :eek: OUCH, sounds painful!

7. Belaggio

Belaggio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Skylink LED is already alight. Now I'm really confused.

8. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK so you've got enough power to light the LED so let's assume the full 9 volts is reaching it.

So do some basic tests:

1. Plug Skylink into RF2 socket of Digibox with short RF lead, shield front panel and see if it works. If it doesn't, it's faulty. End of tests.

2. If that worked, connect your double-shielded coax cable back into RF2, go upstairs and reconnect the SkyLink to the far end of that long coax cable. Test it again. If it doesn't work, cable is the problem. Check connections. Replace cable.

3. If that worked, connect the SkyLink output to the upstairs TV set with a short coax lead. If remote now doesn't work, coax lead is faulty or TV set is incompatible with SkyLink.

OK?

9. Belaggio

Belaggio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    chewers bud - you've got the patience of a saint. Have two thumbs up :smashin: :smashin: