1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help, Where can I get a life...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by uncle eric, Apr 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I should start considering normal behaviour for a change.
    A friend of the family who lives round the corner to me just got his brand new 32" Sony 16x9 tv. All nice and shiney with the dinky silver finish.
    He said the dealer (dont ask) sent an engineer to install and adjust the set for them (does a tv really need installing?)
    Upon viewing the image my eyes started hurting right away.
    I grabed the remote and saw from the menu info that contrast was on maximum (100)
    I had to explain that the lowest (0) or highest (100) setting for any display unit cannot logicaly correct.
    I came back with Avia and very quickly had a lovely image on the screen.
    Our friends rang next day and said that for the first few hours they had the urge to turn up the contrast and brightness but did not (my orders), they ended up prefering it at the correct levels. Now, everywhere they go, they moan about how high things are turned up on other peoples sets. lol
    I try to stay away from places like John Lewis, Comet, Dixons etc in case I have the urge to start looking for their remote controls (told you I need to get a life)
    All these stores (and most of their salesmen) think that their sets actually look nice in this state.
    Eric

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    This would be funny if it didn't happen all the time. TV set up in show rooms are appaling.

Unfortunately it is not limited to Tvs, project set up is done badly in many dealers.

Thank god for this HCC forum and the AVS Forum who have educated me over the last 6 months.

I have learned much and I am grateful.

3. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just a word of caution - Avia is designed to calibrate things to NTSC, I believe, which operates on a different black level to PAL. I don't think there is a similar PAL disc available.

4. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Black 5, sorry dont know your first name,

You are correct, but even calibrating to NTSC levels is better than most factory presets.
    And of course, when NTSC dvd's are viewed, its dead on.
    First to produce a PAL calibration disc will make a nice few bob.

Eric

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In some cases I cut them a tiny bit of slack, as they do offen have around 500 florescent tubes shining on the things!

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Nope as long as you cal via RGB or PAL60 the set-up will be correct at 0IRE. If you cal for NTSC at 7.5 IRE everything else will be wrong. My advice leave NTSC and use PAL60 and if using it via composite is an issue then calibrating a set is the least of your worries. NTSC will actually look fine on a set caled for 0IRE as you are effectively clipping black which means no loss in detail anyway.

Of course how your display device records settings for different formats is another issue.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a member of the without-a-life fraternity too.

New to the forum as at today, but went to a friends house last nite - he's got a new Tosh W/S 28" TV. I grabbed the remote, and took the colour, contrast, and brightness down by about 35% - picture sharpened (also took "sharpness" setting down to 0).

Ahh - what a feeling - it's like taking your speakers off the floor, and putting them on right-height stands!

Err.. I'll get me coat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.