1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help! Unusual xbox live problem

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by kirk grubb, Jul 9, 2004.

1. kirk grubb

kirk grubb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all.
    I have a major problem with xbox live....EXCESSIVE LAG

My story is this-

Im sharing my next door neighbours 1.5meg telewest bb connection.Charging £10 per month. Cool hey :thumbsup:
    He has a wireless router in his loft receiving broadband.
    My access point is connected to pc via usb port which is in my loft so there is only a matter of 2 - 15 feet between the 2 pieces of kit.

I have a wireless netgear wge101 bridge hooked up to xbox.

Playing topsin on live is a joke.Power serves are neigh on impossible.
    I've won 1 match,and that was because other guy disconnected.

pgr2 isnt as bad-quite enjoyable really.
    Its just that i dont know if i will lose connection from one server to another.
    This happens on a regular basis.

Rainbow six3 is on a par with pgr2 for connection.
    But again a message saying cant find ...map happens much too frequently.

I bought a 7.8dbi antenna for my netgear bridge to replace the standard 2dbi antenna but this didnt help at all :thumbsdow

I've tried sharing connection with pc but no luck yet (cant connect to xbox live) Tried this with crossover and through cable.
    But my brother said this should be possible and look into it for me.

One last thing...My access point has a reading of 50% signal strenth.
    While my netgear when hooked upto pc has a 100% signal strenth.
    Is this where my problem lies???

Sorry for long post,
    But can anyone help me enjoy xbox live more without me having to pay my own subscription for broadband?

2. Mujja

Mujja
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    It could be a problem with the Live! servers or Telewests network. I'm with NTL in Hampshire and during the last 2 months Xbox Live! and PC games have been unplayable due to high packet loss.

My xbox is connected directly to a Netgear WGR614 and the PC is connected wirelessly.

If it's possible take your xbox around to your neighbour's and connect directly to the router to see if if things improve.

3. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    Fro my experience lag on Top Spin is inevitable, its just one of those games. Same goes for Links 2004, not so much lag but the voice quality always seems poor. But as you've said pgr and rs3 its not soo bad.

4. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    What does the system info say on the Xbox - Press Y on the screen that shows the connecting info eg cables connected etc.
    It should show 2 screens one with your Download and upload, Ping ratings etc and on the 2nd screen it should have your IMCP , MTU,
    Nat ratings - These 3 should all have 1 by them if your xbox is connecting right.
    The other problem could be your neighbour is using the Internet connection at the same time as you are - this will use up alot of the bandwidth especially if he is using any P2P or torrent stuff.

5. kirk grubb

kirk grubb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'd like to hook up my xbox to his router but he doesnt know im on xbox live.
    So he might think im taking liberties.
    obviously he hasnt secured his connection (wep).So im wondering if anybody else is connecting to his router?

I didnt know you could check settings on xbox,so will do tonight.

Im on a 2month trial subscription,so obviously want to get it sorted before i commence with yearly subscription.

Cheers for all your help so far guys :)

6. Mujja

Mujja
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    An update to my post above.

After weeks of blaming my ISP for the 20% percent of packet loss I was experiencing I discovered today the problem was with my Netgear WGR614 (v1). I had updated the firmware to the latest Beta, but at the time of the upgrage I wasn't playing any games. It's only on the last 2 weeks I started playing online PC and Xbox games.

Today after several disconnect on Live! while playing MotoGP I plugged the Xbox directly into the modem and it worked perfectly. Tried a few test pings from the PC and not a single packet was lost.

Downgraded the router firmware and everything is fine now :).

Your neighbours router could be the problem and the only way you will know for sure is to plug your xbox directly into his modem. His is charging you for the connection so he should atleast help out.

7. phindme

phindme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm running a netgear DG834G wireless modem router through Zen (isp) only a 512 connection connecting 2 pc wirelessly with netgear cards and using a netgear wge101 wirelss bridge to connect my xbox, i've not really had any major lag problems outside what everyone else is getting. i'm running the latest firmware for router, bridge and network cards. one thing that i've wondered about is the contention; because i'm on one of the more expensive 512 plans i wonder if my contention isn't getting filled (if it cost more less people will sign up for it)hence why i seem to get a better connection than some people with over one meg.

just a thought not something i can prove.

one problem i did get was with PG2, i had to put port forwarding on the xbox (or put a static ip on the xbox and put it in the DMZ); once i had done this it's been okay.

if you look on the xbox.com forums and search for "router screws pg2" then you should see my thread concerning this and the replys i got.

i would get together with your next door neighbour and try a few different set-up, try it at different times of the day, with different people as well, you will get more lag if you play with americans etc.

gamer tag "phindme"

8. kirk grubb

kirk grubb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've got good news :clap:
    It seems as though the netgear bridge is picking up 2 channels from his router.
    When its on channel 6 its signal strenth is roughly 30-50%.
    When on channel 11 its at 95-100%.

I was playing topspin last night connected to channel 11 and won 3 games in a row :smoke: With next to no lag whatso ever.

Happy days are here.

Really gonna enjoy live now.

Thanks alot for all your help.

Kirk

9. coolsurfer

coolsurfer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad it worked out for you. Whats your gametag?

10. kirk grubb

kirk grubb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    At the moment its "Broody Bring It." This is with a 2 month trial.

I think i will have to change it when i'm on a yearly subscription.

Add me to your friends list if you like :thumbsup: