1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLEASE HELP: Trying to install 5.1 in bathroom

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by hughsimps, Sep 20, 2005.

1. hughsimps

hughsimps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Great forum. Im hoping very much that some of you out there can help me so sort out a few problems I am encountering with the installation.

I have bought a 15" aquavison TV for installation between 2 showers in my bathroom. This is relatively simple stuff. The problems are arising with the correct integration of a DVD player and a 5.1 system.

I was sold a magic eye kit under the false pretence that this would control the DVD player, which it doesnt. This only will control sky and I have Telewest anyway!

I am not too bothered about changing the Telewest channels, but what I do want to do though is to be able to control the primary functions of a DVD player including volume.

My ideal setup would be to have 5 ceiling speakers positioned for the L/C/R & SR/SL channels and then a single bass (or modified ceiling full range ceiling speaker with crossover) driver installed in the bath housing. The speakers need to be moisture resistant to some degree.

One possible idea was to use a Pioneer NS DV 99 and hide the full sub unit in the bath housing with an access panel in the side of the bath, the DVD player in the wardrobe of the bedroom (that the bathroom is ensuite to), 5 ceiling speakers powered via its own amp and the separate display mounted in the bathroom some where and then using a waterproof programable remote to copy the controls.

Just dont like the idea of having the whole sub unit and power etc under the bath.

Please if anyone can suggest any ideas of any kind please let me know. Perhaps 2 remote eyes of some kind hidden in the bathroom to control a DVD player and an amp that can power 5 ceilings and a bass driver.

Thanks to anyone that replies. :thumbsup:

2. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    For starters mate, can you remove the bath panel without the use of
    a tool?
    If so, then you cannot put power under the bath.
    If you have access without a tool, the space beneath the bath is
    Zone 1, and the only equipment to be installed there, must be
    SELV equipment, and RCD protected.

Johnny.

3. hughsimps

hughsimps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The pannel would be attaced with screws and silicon sealed in place. I have thought of the building regs implications but once I have a solution for the setup I will try and bring it inline.

Thanks for your help. :smashin:

4. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Power supplies are just the thin end mate.
    Bathroom zones will affect speaker placement too.
    There is a common misconception that because it
    is not mains, it does not count.
    The IEE Wiring Regulations does cover Extra Low Voltage too.

Could you give us a link to the exact screen you are going to install.

I am trying to picture where it is going to be sited.
    Are the two showers on the same wall, with separate cubicles, and you
    intend to place the screen on the wall between the two?

Johnny.

5. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    You can get magic eyes to drive stuff other than Sky boxes, including freeview, dvd and possibly your telewest box (depending on the box, another story)

You need a break out kit that is installed just before the RF output of the modulator (for DVD) or the telewest box.

This will strip off the IR signal and allow you to place a little IR emmiter onto the front of the box.

The part number / model you need to look for is the 'tvLINK Plus'

Chris

6. wiz

wiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,737
    Hi
    Do you spend that much time in the bathroom that you need a TV in there?

:rotfl:

7. bentleg

bentleg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Each to there own I know, but why why why the hell do you need a TV let alone a 5.1 surround set up in your bathroom. :confused:
    Good luck with your build m8.

8. baldrick

baldrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    Can't you just buy a Jacuzzi with everything already installed!?!?

I must confess I do like the idea of a TV in the bathroom, but I don't see the need for 5.1 unless you're planning on being in the bath for 2 or 3 hours at a time!?!?!?

9. Cliff K

Cliff K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just stereo speakers in my bathroom and they are fine. The bathroom is travertine walls and floor so the accoustics aren't great. The stereo is in a cupboard outside the bathroom with a IR sender made by Phillips - this works great. The receiver unit is up in one of the corners of the room.
    5.1 may well be wasted in a bathroom. Although I would never stop anyone living the dream!

Cliff

10. hughsimps

hughsimps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. I have just completed the initial stage of the install. I decided to use the pioneer ns-dv99 system with seperate display and so far the results are awesome.

I have used 5 4" waterproof ceiling speakers, the sub enclosed under the bath (as per the buildings regs outines on power etc) and the aqauvison TV positioned in the shower has just been tiled in place. The test run on Saturday produced some really great results that I wasnt expecting.

I realise it may sound odd to install 5.1 in a bathroom but its never been done, or only in the odd mansion (as far as I know) and after deciding to install a TV I thought I should go the full way. I am a property developer in London by trade and am always eager to try push the boundaries but in a cost effective way. When the bathroom is completed I will post some photos for those that are interested.

Thanks again for the replies.

11. baldrick

baldrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    Why in the shower? I could possibly understand the bath, but 5.1 in the shower must be a complete waste of time!?!?!

12. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    I am definitely interested and curious to see this :)

13. hughsimps

hughsimps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D Sorry if I have confused anyone. The bathroom is rectangular, about 3m by 2.6m. On one wall is the bath and the other a double shower (by this I mean 2 shower heads behind one shower-screen & in the same shower tray). The waterproof TV had to be positioned between the 2 showers because this is the only place where it is visable from the main viewing areas (by the basin, in the bath and using the shower).

The speakers are arranged on the ceiling in the usual 5 channel setup from the TV backward (with the sub under the bath). Only thing Im finding is that centre channel isnt as good as it could be 'firing' down from the ceiling, dont get me wrong the system as a whole sounds increadible but when I pull it out and just moving the speaker down from the ceiling on to the top face of the wall makes a huge difference, obviously due to the direction of the sound. Perhaps there might be some more cutting and chasing to facilitate this....

I will post photos as soon as I can for those that are interested. Also you might be interested to know that the 5.1 setup (Pioneer NS-DV 99, Speaker cable & 5 waterproof speakers) cost me only £445 over the £1095 that the Aquavision 15" TV cost. I was convinced this afternoon that the venture was worth it after testing the system with HEAT dvd with a half full bath and watching the water bouncing and rippling from the sub under the bath! A huge grin appeared right across my face! :D

I know... I know. Im a complete kid. Its true.

14. hughsimps

hughsimps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last thing.... does anyone know a good place to get a Crestron 'Remote on a Rope', their waterproof remote control??s

thanks,

Hugh

15. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    this is one of the most bizarre threads I've read in a long time, is it going to end up like comer's famous water-cooling one?

good luck with the install, btw

won't your bath be cold by the time you've wathed LOTR in 5.1?

16. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28,162
    Nice one Owain :)
    I await pictures with interest too.

Dave

17. hpoom

hpoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Please post pictures I'm really interested by this thread ( and I'm thinking about a small TFT now in my bathroom, only I don't have the scape or money so will have to remain and nice thought/dream )

18. Jamiroquai78

Jamiroquai78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    5.1 in the bathroom :eek: Can't wait for the pikkies. What a great and original concept :smashin: