Please help this frazzled brain

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Gazz, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Gazz

Gazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With apologies foremost for any stupid questions I may be asking here,

I'm drawing the conclusion that HTPC is a better route than using DVD players/Sky boxes to feed a pj.

However.........

1 - is it best to use RGB from the digibox scart into an HTPC (and is that possible?) or feed it through an RGB/Svid converter into the Svid input of a capture card.

2 - using the DLP pj I'm contemplating (Proxima X350) would I notice better quality using its DVI input fed from a video card DVI output?

3 - is all of this a significant improvement over ignoring the HTPC route and feeding digibox Svid (with the above convertor) and DVD player component straight into the pj?

Having said all that I've never built a pc before so are there any nice outlets that sell them ready to plug and play?

Thx all for indulging me
    Gazz

2. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Gazz
    To the best of my knowledge it is not possible to input RGB into a graphics card or capture card. I feed my Sony10ht via the component/rgb inputs with a signal (RGB) from my NTL digibox to watch the occasional big sports event, the picture is ok but nothing to shout about. I think you may need a converter but don't expect a great picture. I have DVI out on my Radeon 7500 but not on my projector so can't advise on the quality. HTPC will give you the best picture over a DVD player and you'll have a computer into the bargain. I built my own, and there are snags, which if you’re not familiar with pc's you will need help to overcome. As for where to buy one someone on this site must know, just keep asking.
    Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    Dave

3. Gazz

Gazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dave - hmmm so if RGB's not an option and Svid doesn't produce a great projected pic is there no way to get decent quality video from a digibox onto a screen?
    Any and all suggestions welcome...............