Please Help: Speaker Cabling

JamesL

Established Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate some help. I have just purchased my first "proper" home cinema setup: a Yamaha V2600 and KEF 2005.2 speakers following a very impressive demo. It's all due to arrive on Saturday but I need to get myself some speaker cabling.

1) What speaker cabling is recommended? I am completely at a loss as to how much I should spend per metre, i.e. what quality. Could someone provide some basic guidance? Given the short timescales I am keen to purchase something locally. Is any of the cabling listed at Richersounds recommended? Or should I be looking at a more upmarket store like Sevenoaks?

2) What cabling do I need for the Subwoofer? Is it just the same as for a normal speaker?

3) Do I need Banana Plugs at both ends of my speaker cabling? i.e. for pluggin into the receiver and the speakers? Do I also need it for the Subwoofer.

If anyone can help with any, or all, of the above it would be very appreciated! I spent ages researching and demoing the kit but really overlooked this crucial element. :rolleyes:

:lease:

there are as many different opinions on speaker cable as there are members of this forum. personally I think you can do a lot worse than having a look at one of these solutions:

twin and earth mains cable

cat5

or possibly van damme blue cable (though I've not used this one myself)

any of those should comfortably provide better value for money than traditional over-priced, over-hyped "speaker" cable.

what cabling you need for your sub depends on what connections it has, it would likely just be a phono cable though for that setup. mark grant makes some fantastic sub cables, have a look at his ads in the power buy section of this forum.

as for banana plugs, its entirely up to you. they should have no effect whatsoever on the sound but they will make it easier to plug and unplug the cables if you are planning on doing that often, they also look a bit tidier. FWIW I use them at both ends of all my cables.

HTH
owain

James

As Owain says there are as many opinions on here as there are members.

I have KEF eggs and Yammy 757 so similiar setup bar the quality of the amp. I use banana plugs on the amp end only. The reason is I have my eggs wall mounted - this makes using banana's into the back of the speakers very awkward. But that probably depends on the speaker wire you are using.

I am using QED Quodos Classic http://www.qed.co.uk/i99c159-158/QED_Cables/Speaker_Cables/QED_Original.htm

I am very happy with it but it is inflexible.

At the Sound and Vision show KEF advised me NOT to use silver wire as it made the sound too "bright" but I know others on here have used this and are happy. Not using it may also save you a few ££££.

Regarding the sub its active so you need to get sub "phono" type cable.

Enjoy!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom