Please HELP! SONY TV Warranty refused

Artur R2

Hey guys, I need your help please. I have a Sony TV which is coming up to 5 years of age and it has developed a fault where it restarts itself intermittently. See photo for clarification. Sony are claiming that its a software issue and therefore refusing to repair it under warranty. They haven’t investigated the issue other than a few standard troubleshooting scripts. I feel cheated by the company and would love to get some help from you and see what recourse I might have as a consumer. Have you had a similar issue with the manufacturer refusing a repair ? How did it pan out ? Many thanks

Attachments

• 63BFDCE6-393C-43FF-8E34-AF97F3E1930A.jpeg
    63BFDCE6-393C-43FF-8E34-AF97F3E1930A.jpeg
    557.7 KB · Views: 53

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Does it happen on all sources? Internal tuner. apps?
If you don't use it's internal tuner but have a set top box/Blu-ray/game have you tried replacing the HDMI cable?
Model no of TV?

Artur R2

If you don't use it's internal tuner but have a set top box/Blu-ray/game have you tried replacing the HDMI cable?
Model no of TV?
Hi Jay, thanks for your response, I am not trying to troubleshoot the issue to be frank. I want Sony to take responsibility for their product and do it for me as currently it’s unfit for purpose and now it’s become more of a principle to hold them accountable to the terms they have aggreed under their own warranty.

Artur R2

Model no of TV?
Just to give you an idea it’s connected to an AVR and the primary source is Apple TV box. I don’t use the TVs internal apps or tuner.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
You need to try another source and connect it directly to the TV bypassing your AVR to prove it's the TV at fault.
So try connecting your Apple TV straight to the TV with a different HDMI cable.

Artur R2

You need to try another source and connect it directly to the TV bypassing your AVR to prove it's the TV at fault.
So try connecting your Apple TV straight to the TV with a different HDMI cable.
I will try it but even then it doesn’t help me with the warranty situation. They’re not caliming the TV is not at fault, they’re claiming it’s the TVs software that’s causing the issue therefore not covered by warranty. It’s a cop out. Many thanks

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
We can't read the warranty documentation, nor does the picture show anything useful to diagnose from. You may need to seek legal advice to see if the warranty terms are valid, in excluding the TV software? (Home Insurance may have Legal Advice cover??)

But you aren't building a case by doing nothing to see if it's an issue with your connected kit...
We also need the exact model of TV to allow others with more Sony TV knowledge to comment accurately.

Have you checked out the Sony community forum for similar / identical issues? e.g. TV Reboots from standby after firmware update

Artur R2

The TV model is 75ZD9. My issue isn’t with the problem not being covered by warranty if in fact it is a software related problem ( I do believe that falls under exclusions of the warranty). My issue is with the fact the Sony are making a case for it being a software issue in order to get off the hook without carrying out any investigation into what the cause is. The TV has not been assessed by an engineer nor is there an explanation as to why the software is causing the issue.

No I haven’t looked in the Sony community because diagnosing the issue is not my primary concern even though I do see the benefit. Thought the whole idea of a warranty is for the product to be examined by an independent third party so that the result is unbiased.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
We can't see the terms of your warranty, nor who it is with.

You may well find you'd be charged for the cost of visit if it's not a warrantied fault found if it's in the T&Cs...

Not researching the issue to see if you can effect a quick fix seems rather foolish to me. I've just had a nearly new washing machine replaced under warranty - but I called the supplier as a last resort, having found the likely issue online (and the manufacturer Technician attending confirmed my fault diagnosis and that repair would need a 'trial and error' replacement of major parts).

Artur R2

We can't see the terms of your warranty, nor who it is with.

You may well find you'd be charged for the cost of visit if it's not a warrantied fault found if it's in the T&Cs...

Not researching the issue to see if you can effect a quick fix seems rather foolish to me. I've just had a nearly new washing machine replaced under warranty - but I called the supplier as a last resort, having found the likely issue online (and the manufacturer Technician attending confirmed my fault diagnosis and that repair would need a 'trial and error' replacement of major parts).
I don’t have a problem with that, simply saying we’re not interested because we think it’s software and therefore not covered under warranty is where my problem lies.

If my situation was applied to your claim you wouldn’t have a technician visit because they wouldn’t entertain the fault was covered by them in the first place.

Artur R2

On that note, does anyone know of an Engineer in Oxfordshire who’s report would be adequate as an expert witness in court?

mikej

I can appreciate your frustration but, from what you've told us so far, it doesn't sound like you've proved that the fault lies with the TV and (as previously suggested) that's the very first thing you need to do when you've got external equipment connected. It's not the manufacturer's responsibility to do this - it's yours. It's presumably also the first thing that any TV technician would do, so you might as well do it yourself to avoid the risk of an unnecessary bill.

To do this properly, you need to disconnect all external equipment, make sure you're on the latest firmware and perform a factory reset, then see if the problem persists. If you're not able to use the TV's in-built tuner to do this, then try a couple of the TV's apps. There are threads on this forum where external sources (eg. streaming devices) have caused a TV to behave in unusual ways, so removing them from the equation (if possible) is a sensible option.

If the problem does persist, then yes - either the retailer or the manufacturer will need to take responsibility for a genuine fault if it's covered under warranty and for that, the TV would need to be inspected so, like you, I don't understand how Sony can claim it's a software issue just by simply looking at a photo. Speaking of which, I find it odd that software issues would be excluded - are you sure that's not just talking about external apps ? Surely a manufacturer should be responsible for a TV's firmware ? If a manufacturer pushes out a firmware update that bricks a TV (for example), I would be surprised if they weren't responsible for putting that right.

When and where did you buy the TV and have you approached the retailer ? If you do have no success claiming under warranty and it did get as far as having to pursue this under the Consumer Rights Act, then you would be up against the retailer rather than the manufacturer anyway so they should always be your first port of call.

Artur R2

I can appreciate your frustration but, from what you've told us so far, it doesn't sound like you've proved that the fault lies with the TV and (as previously suggested) that's the very first thing you need to do when you've got external equipment connected. It's not the manufacturer's responsibility to do this - it's yours. It's presumably also the first thing that any TV technician would do, so you might as well do it yourself to avoid the risk of an unnecessary bill.

To do this properly, you need to disconnect all external equipment, make sure you're on the latest firmware and perform a factory reset, then see if the problem persists. If you're not able to use the TV's in-built tuner to do this, then try a couple of the TV's apps. There are threads on this forum where external sources (eg. streaming devices) have caused a TV to behave in unusual ways, so removing them from the equation (if possible) is a sensible option.

If the problem does persist, then yes - either the retailer or the manufacturer will need to take responsibility for a genuine fault if it's covered under warranty and for that, the TV would need to be inspected so, like you, I don't understand how Sony can claim it's a software issue just by simply looking at a photo. Speaking of which, I find it odd that software issues would be excluded - are you sure that's not just talking about external apps ? Surely a manufacturer should be responsible for a TV's firmware ? If a manufacturer pushes out a firmware update that bricks a TV (for example), I would be surprised if they weren't responsible for putting that right.

When and where did you buy the TV and have you approached the retailer ? If you do have no success claiming under warranty and it did get as far as having to pursue this under the Consumer Rights Act, then you would be up against the retailer rather than the manufacturer anyway so they should always be your first port of call.
Thanks for taking the time to formulate a comprehensive reply. You raise good points and so I will troubleshoot some more to determine if the TV exhibits the same issue on its own.

I haven’t approached the retailer, it was bought from a Sony centre but the warranty is extended through Sony and appears not to be their responsibility.

This is from my correspondence with Sony and attached are the terms of the warranty.

“First and foremost, we would like to apologize for any unintended inconvenience for any service that has not met your expectations to date.
Following our conversation regarding your query, please be noted that your query is related to software issue, accordingly the issue needs time to be sorted out, as we are manufacturing the hardware parts of the TV not the software.
Moreover, the warranty does not cover Software issues and also refer to the EULA as this is concerning a third party service for which Sony is not liable.”

Attachments

• AF699279-F943-4DAC-8260-37A615316338.png
    AF699279-F943-4DAC-8260-37A615316338.png
    751.4 KB · Views: 37

mikej

I haven’t approached the retailer, it was bought from a Sony centre but the warranty is extended through Sony and appears not to be their responsibility.
Ah OK, in which case I'm not sure exactly how that would work. I would have thought that the Sony Centre is still the 'retailer' though and any claims under the Consumer Rights Act would be against them and not Sony themselves as the 'contract' is between you and the retailer, not manufacturer. We're getting ahead of ourselves here though as it would obviously be good to get your problem resolved without going down that route, which would be a last resort.

This is from my correspondence with Sony and attached are the terms of the warranty.

“First and foremost, we would like to apologize for any unintended inconvenience for any service that has not met your expectations to date.
Following our conversation regarding your query, please be noted that your query is related to software issue, accordingly the issue needs time to be sorted out, as we are manufacturing the hardware parts of the TV not the software.
Moreover, the warranty does not cover Software issues and also refer to the EULA as this is concerning a third party service for which Sony is not liable.”
From the use of the term 'third party service', it sounds to me like they might be attributing the problem to your Apple TV box - have you mentioned it in your correspondence with them ? This would be another good reason for eliminating it (and the AVR) from the list of possible causes. If you can replicate the fault without anything external attached (ideally with the TV's tuner) then there is no 'third party service' involved.

I had a quick read through the exclusions in the warranty document and couldn't see any references to software, but the small text and limited zoom capability does make it tricky to read properly ! If it's a generic Sony warranty that isn't specifically for TVs, then I would imagine references to 'software' would be aimed at devices like laptops or tablets, in which case it would be appropriate to exclude software or apps that a user has installed - I can't imagine this applies to a TV's firmware or possibly even any of the TV's apps, as these would have had to be approved and tested by Sony before being allowed in their app store.

pastrybloke19

Ah OK, in which case I'm not sure exactly how that would work. I would have thought that the Sony Centre is still the 'retailer' though and any claims under the Consumer Rights Act would be against them and not Sony themselves as the 'contract' is between you and the retailer, not manufacturer. We're getting ahead of ourselves here though as it would obviously be good to get your problem resolved without going down that route, which would be a last resort.

From the use of the term 'third party service', it sounds to me like they might be attributing the problem to your Apple TV box - have you mentioned it in your correspondence with them ? This would be another good reason for eliminating it (and the AVR) from the list of possible causes. If you can replicate the fault without anything external attached (ideally with the TV's tuner) then there is no 'third party service' involved.

I had a quick read through the exclusions in the warranty document and couldn't see any references to software, but the small text and limited zoom capability does make it tricky to read properly ! If it's a generic Sony warranty that isn't specifically for TVs, then I would imagine references to 'software' would be aimed at devices like laptops or tablets, in which case it would be appropriate to exclude software or apps that a user has installed - I can't imagine this applies to a TV's firmware or possibly even any of the TV's apps, as these would have had to be approved and tested by Sony before being allowed in their app store.
This is very good advice from MikeJ; remove all devices and by process of elimination, identify where the issue is. If as expected, the fault still occurs with nothing connected, then the tv is at fault and you can use these facts to raise it with Sony.

If the fault doesn’t occur, then the issue is with an external device or cable, and you can then add them back in to identify which one is the culprit.

It can be sometimes frustrating with some companies, but if you gather the facts (ie what MikeJ has said), and compile a firm but polite email (or phone call), then you should be good. If it doesn’t go anywhere, then you can always ask to escalate it via their complaints process or speak to a senior manager.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom