1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help, Shuttle Problem !!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mrmcdean, May 3, 2005.

1. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    OK, good weekend, bought all my bits to build the PC, put it all together OK and everything worked fine, just had to wait for my copy of Windows XP so used the old version of windows for the time being.

Got hold of XP yesterday so added my old hard drive, copied over my folders etc. so I could re format the new drive I bought a month or so ago ready for a fresh install of XP.

All the files transferred fine so a freind and I (i dont know that much about PCs) began to install XP. Half way through the PC shut down and an onimous red light came from within the case. A little surprised we turned the machine of and left it for a while assuming it was running too hot after transfering 15gig of files. Tried it again a little later and the same thing happened. My frined went into the bios or whatever its called and checked the temp. of the cpu = 44c and the general system was about 37c ?? Is this hot ??

We decided to call it a day and try today. I started the machine up first thing, everything loaded OK, ran a virus check and it didnt like it said the boot record had altered (i presume because we got part way through the XP install last night). Norton then said it couldnt complete the search but didnt indicate that this was due to a virus problem. OK ithought, so the systems a little screwed because of the update we tried last night but at least the shutdown / red light problem has stopped.

Went for a shower and just left the computer on the desktop screen doing nothing, no programs open at all. Came down from my shower and the machine had turned of and the red lights was back.

Is my brand spanking new machine :censored: ?

Please can someone tell me whats wrong, preferabley put an arm around my shoulder and say there, there never mind its going to be OK its just (insert solution here) problem solved. I had difficulty affording the thing in the first place so not too happy :mad:

System Spec:

Shuttle sn45g V3 (silent x psu 250w)
    Memory - 1mb crucial
    CPU Athlon XP 3200
    Graphics - Radeon 9550 (decided not to get the 9600 as they didnt have it in)

Thanks in advance.

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There should be an option in the Bios to set the temperature at which the system will shut down.

I had a P4 Prescott in an SFF case and that got too hot. I had my setting to warn at 60 degrees and shut down at 65.

I'm not sure what temp is safe for the 3200. Once you can find that out you can set the shut down temperature accordingly.

Dave

3. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    heat or RAM issue would be the most common cause. Getting the temps from the BIOS setup after a crash won't tell you much - the CPU would've cooled considerably by the time you get there, oplus it's not under load.
    Try running this to test RAM:-
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

And to test for heat run teh burnin test found at http://www.passmark.com

4. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll give the test a go tonight, if it works for long enough, sometimes it stays on for a few mins othre times an hour or so ??