please help, setting up my first Sony STR-DH790 receiver

rauwolf

Novice Member
Hello, so I just bought a Sony STR-DH790 and Klipsch Black Reference Theater Pack 5.1 Surround Sound System. Im completely new to receivers, I have only ever bought sound bars. My question is do I connect my 4k player,ps5 and amazon fire stick directly to the back of the sony receiver and then connect an hdmi cable from the receiver to an hdmi slot in my tv? And does anyone have any recommendations on what extra speakers I should buy in order to get 7.1 sound, hopefully in the $300-$400 range? Thank you.

Screenshot 2021-08-10 at 01-04-32 Amazon com Sony STR-DH790 7 2-ch Surround Sound Home Theater...png

unoduo

One of the hdmi sockets on your tv will be labelled ARC or eARC - use that to connect to the tv out socket on the avr. Your tv will then be able to send it’s audio to your amp - be it terrestrial tv, inbuilt apps or from devices (firestick etc) connected to it.

You will then have the choice of connecting devices directly to the avr or you can connect them to tv (as you would with a soundbar). Your tv will need to have eARC in able for it to pass high bandwidth audio (Dolby TrueHD etc) from connected devices to your amp. If your tv doesn’t support this & you want to enjoy those formats then you will need to connect those devices to the avr.

It would be recommended to buy the identical Klipsch speakers you have as your surrounds to go from 5.1 to 7.1. If you are thinking about Atmos or DTS-X then there will be more options.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom