Please help selecting TV - Q90T, Q800, or QN 85A?

cnikkij

Novice Member
Hi, I am hoping to get some advice. I am buying a new 75" Samsung TV in the $2800-$3000 range. Old TV is the 65" QLED Q8F, which I love. I ordered the Q90T at $2999, but it arrived broken, and I had to return it. In going to re-order, I see that the Q800T is now $2999, and the 2021 QN 85A Neo4K is also $2999. The Q90T is now $2799. Question is -- should I stick with the Q90T or switch to the Q800T or the 85A Neo4K given that they are essentially the same price?

I realize they are different, and I just can't get a handle on whether it would be better to have 8K versus 4K, or whether the new technology is better, or whether the 9 series is significantly better than the 8 series.

In case it helps answer the question -- we watch a lot of movies and sports in a pretty well-lit room. My biggest complaints about the Q8F was washed out viewing from side angle and blotchy/pixelated blacks during dark scenes.

I would appreciate any thoughts on narrowing down which TV to buy! Thanks in advance!

what the tech

Hi, I am hoping to get some advice. I am buying a new 75" Samsung TV in the $2800-$3000 range. Old TV is the 65" QLED Q8F, which I love. I ordered the Q90T at $2999, but it arrived broken, and I had to return it. In going to re-order, I see that the Q800T is now $2999, and the 2021 QN 85A Neo4K is also $2999. The Q90T is now $2799. Question is -- should I stick with the Q90T or switch to the Q800T or the 85A Neo4K given that they are essentially the same price?

I realize they are different, and I just can't get a handle on whether it would be better to have 8K versus 4K, or whether the new technology is better, or whether the 9 series is significantly better than the 8 series.

In case it helps answer the question -- we watch a lot of movies and sports in a pretty well-lit room. My biggest complaints about the Q8F was washed out viewing from side angle and blotchy/pixelated blacks during dark scenes.

I would appreciate any thoughts on narrowing down which TV to buy! Thanks in advance!
If you watch Sky content avoid the 2020 QLED models and wait for the 2021 sets instead. I returned the Q90T due to the frame rate issue on Sky. Football content on BBC HD would stutter and the picture could get a little jerky on chat shows etc.

I will be pursuing the QN90A myself, new backlight technology with the Mini LED's and a big step up with the dimming zones over the 2020 models.

MrMuse666

Novice Member
There is a Youtube comparison or two where the QN90A is compared directly to the Q90T and if it's clearer detail you are looking for out of Mini LED then you will be disappointed as it is handled by the inferior local dimming software on the new tvs. The Q90T had more detail in dark scenes regardless of more areas of local dimming on the QN90A but the QN90A had more colour pop and slightly sharper image all around. Having owned Samsungs for years black crush seems to be the biggest issue..and the use of mini led has not altered that fact...if anything it is a step back.

what the tech

MrMuse666

Novice Member
I think whatever model and whatever brand you choose you are entering the panel lottery. This is why I am afraid to change from my current edge lit tv which, aside from black crush, has a perfect panel with absolutely zero backlight bleed, dead pixels, dirty screen, no judder or motion issues on a 60htz panel, or anything of that sort. It's just that with my new surround sound a 55" isn't cutting it for that cinema finish.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom