Please help. Samsung v LG v Hisense

Tbrink

Novice Member
I’m really a bit lost and would appreciate some advice.
I am in the process of buying a 65” TV and I need someone to assist me.
The choice are between the following and they cost plus minus the same, less than €800
1. LG 65UN7400
2. Samsung UETU7172UXXH
3. Hisense 65A7300F
If there is anything else in the same price range, I would certainly like to hear about it.
Thank you and I would really appreciate any assistance.

Dodgexander

Determine which panel type is more suited to you first:

LG is IPS, others are VA.

If you choose VA, both Samsung and Hisense are pretty equal. Most people would choose Samsung because they have a better smart OS, but in terms of picture quality they will be similar.

Dodgexander

Try looking at the link and see if it helps you make your decision.

Key reasons people go for IPS compared to VA in this price bracket:

1. They watch during the day or with lights on.
2. They do not view the TV only head on, but also at an angle.
3. They are adverse to motion blur, particularly on dark objects.

Key reasons people go for VA compared to IPS:
1. They watch in a dim environment, or in pitch black. So they enjoy better contrast and blacks.
2, They want to avoid poor screen uniformity, with less parts of the image being bright when its not supposed to be.

Most people choose VA nowadays, and all the higher end LCD TVs use VA too. They do this to reduce like leakage and improve contrast and blacks. However in the lower price brackets the benefits IPS technology brings can make it more favorable to some people.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
@Dodgexander

Hi You will possibly remember that I posted on this forum several times in the last 6 months pondering a new TV purchase. One of my main concerns in these posts were brightness in the day or evening with lights on and also viewing angles compared to my existing Panasonic IPS TV.
I eventually bit the bullet with some trepidation and purchased a Sony 49XH9505 on a good deal from RS. This of course is a VA panel.
This TV gives me no problems with brightness or viewing angles the latter only being noticeable at over 25deg off centre and then only slightly. Brightness with TV facing south facing window is amazing as it is with lights on in the now later evening. According to rtings,com this TV has an SDR brightness not far short of an OLED HDR brightness. As an experiment without changing settings I turned off the lights so completely dark room and watched an HD recording of Mastermind which relies on bright items on a black background - no blooming and definitely black, Likewise with bars above/ below movies both SDR and HDR.
Only slight disappointment is that the differential between SDR and HDR is less than I expected. Whilst this TV has one of the highest HDR brightness capabilities is this perhaps due to comparison with the stunning SDR brightness?

Last edited:

Dodgexander

@Dodgexander

Hi You will possibly remember that I posted on this forum several times in the last 6 months pondering a new TV purchase. One of my main concerns in these posts were brightness in the day or evening with lights on and also viewing angles compared to my existing Panasonic IPS TV.
I eventually bit the bullet with some trepidation and purchased a Sony 49XH9505 on a good deal from RS. This of course is a VA panel.
This TV gives me no problems with brightness or viewing angles the latter only being noticeable at over 25deg off centre and then only slightly. Brightness with TV facing south facing window is amazing as it is with lights on in the now later evening. According to rtings,com this TV has an SDR brightness not far short of an OLED HDR brightness. As an experiment without changing settings I turned off the lights so completely dark room and watched an HD recording of Mastermind which relies on bright items on a black background - no blooming and definitely black, Likewise with bars above/ below movies both SDR and HDR.
Only slight disappointment is that the differential between SDR and HDR is less than I expected. Whilst this TV has one of the highest HDR brightness capabilities is this perhaps due to comparison with the stunning SDR brightness?
Glad you came to the decision and went for the XH9505. HDR can depend on the title, a lot of HDR isn't really true HDR. UHD Blu-Rays tend to be the best, but even then some are so-so. Avoiding releases on Disney for HDR is usually a good idea.

Here's some good discs to sample: The Best 4K HDR Movies to Show off Your New TV

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom