Please Help! Samsung Bracket For Noob Chimney Install!

noobey

Standard Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
i fell for it and bought samsung PS50C96HD.
for those that dont know its a 50inch 720p plasma available at currys for around £780+quidco! bargain!

anyway, it arrives on tuesday and id like to sort out my mounting solution before it arrives if possible. but i need help please!

heres a pic of where id like it to be.

By amonzur

the tv weighs 42kg and needs VESA 600 x 400 according to the sammy website.
http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/television/plasma/ps42c96hdxxeu.asp?page=Specifications

now, id like to do the install myself if possible, to cut costs. but if its a big job then ill hire whoever you guys reccomend, provided its within £250ish (roughly 1/3 of the cost of the tv!) as a last resort.

as you can see im gonna have some difficulty mounting this thing as there a 91cm gap between the chimney breast.
ideally i wanted a bracket that will bolt into either pillar and stretch across the gap.

so does anyone know where i can get a bracket for this thing?
i dont want tilting or anything, just a nice cheap bracket, thats as slim as possible.

Hi,

How about fitting a sheet of ply across the gap, then fitting any bracket you fancy to the ply? 18mm ply is very strong, but if you wanted to stiffen it up you could fasten battens to the back. Make the ply a little smaller than the tv, and paint it with the same emulsion as the wall, then you won't see it. Fasten the ply to the pillars with fixings appropriate to the pillars - are they brick? With a sheet you get plenty of height, so can get plenty of fixings in, if you see what I mean.

Cheers,
MarkP

wow! thanks for the quick replies guys!
i didnt actually expect anyone to post back!

@dean1474
the depth is 38cm, and the tv weighs just over 41kg's, so id feel unsafe using that bracket, as its max weight is 40kg. ive never bought a bracket before, so do you know any other reputable similar ones?
thanks.

@MarkP80
fixing the ply may be the best option, but i dont feel confident enough to do that within my diy abilaties.
is there an idiots guide?
the pillars are brick and plaster.

thanks so much for your help so far guys!

this is looking like a big job.........

I would get a joiner to box the alcove in about £100 doing this will allow you to fix a standard bracket onto the straps that make the box section this will look as if it were meant.

I would get a joiner to box the alcove in about £100 doing this will allow you to fix a standard bracket onto the straps that make the box section this will look as if it were meant.
sorry im an idiot, is a joiner a carpenter?
or is it not woodwork you meant, but a brick and plaster solution?

EDIT-
just noticed currys do a wall mounting and install service for £200!
BARGAIN!!!!

but should i trust them to do it?

thanks

sorry im an idiot, is a joiner a carpenter?
or is it not woodwork you meant, but a brick and plaster solution?

EDIT-
just noticed currys do a wall mounting and install service for £200!
BARGAIN!!!!

but should i trust them to do it?

thanks

Yep made from wood and gyproc or ply and a joiner would undertake this work not saying a carpenter couldn't but more common to call a joiner. I just assumed you would know one sorry.

Currys probably subcontract the work out to approved contractors so probably would do a good job but all they are doing for £200 is provide labour you will more than likely have to buy the bracket aswell which from them is too expensive.
Where are you based? perhaps someone one here can assist. :)

thanks for the quick reply peevo!
couple bits of info about currys
1-£200 is the cost of installation, inclusive of bracket and wire 'trunking' (if thats the right word).
2-theyre delivery drivers do the jobs
3-i just booked it, but had to cancel as they only install on flat walls and wont do my chimney breast : (

im in wanstead, ast london, so if anyone can reccomend anyone reputable id be happy to get a quote!
anyone know a joiner?

thanks guys!

ok decided to go for Master AV Services for the install.
£300 for the wood option.

anyone heard of them before?

Sorry, just got back from a short holiday, I can't say i have heard of a different bracket, and i can't advise on the installer either....... wasted post really, but just to let you know we ain't ignoring you.... i will keep my eyes open for an option if your not sorted...... :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom