Please Help: Samsung 8k 82Q800T vs Sony 4K 85xh9505

tankalf

Standard Member
Hi guys
Please help me to choose.
I found at the same price, new, these two models.
I watch 1080p and 4K film and tv series. Sat, streaming and mkv. Nothing else.

Which tv do you think have the best picture quality?
Considering also Sony was the flagship 4K model of 2020 and it’s a 85” versus 82” of Samsung. But it’s a 8k model. Better panel? Better upscaling?

I like also Sony support Dolby Vision...
Thanks a lot for helping me to make the right choice.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
8K... pointless.

There is no 8K mainstream content, it will make anything under 1080p look awful, and 1080p itself may not be great if it's low bitrate due to all the upscaling required.

Dodgexander

Both very equal overall, more upscaling needs to happen on the 8k TV, so everything you watch, even 4k will have to be upscaled. Its probably not an issue for 4k, but may be for 1k or less content.

But upscaling is something that's often over-populised, I'd worry more about the approach each company takes when it comes to picture quality...and all round TVs.

Samsung models tend to favor crushing detail in HDR mode in the darkest and brightest parts of the picture, but a result of that is their TVs tend to have much better black uniformity which is really a boon if you are going to watch the TV in darkness. Samsung also have a more 'striking and vivid' picture, with better brightness which can make for impressive HDR.

On the other hand, Sony have an approach that favours picture accuracy more. Shadow detail is better because they don't crush blacks so much and highlights can be preserved according to the original master intent. The downside is that Sony TVs like the XH95 have worse black uniformity and make for harder watching in the dark.

These points are only really valid for HDR though, for SDR dark room performance on both TVs will be fine.
Other differences come with connectivity and smart TV. The Samsung has a single HDMI 2.1 port, whilst the Sony runs with 4x HDMI 2.0. In that respect the Samsung is a little more future proof - not sure this matters though if you aren't a gamer.

Smart TV is different too, Sony uses Android TV which is still a bit clunky in my opinion. Samsung run Tizen which is faster.

Overall I'd say the Samusng has the edge provided you understand that upscaling lower quality material will look worse. Typically you'd compare the Sony ZH9/Z9H to the Samsung rather than the XH9505 which instead is more commonly compared to the 4k Q90T/Q95T.

tankalf

Standard Member
Both very equal overall, more upscaling needs to happen on the 8k TV, so everything you watch, even 4k will have to be upscaled. Its probably not an issue for 4k, but may be for 1k or less content.

But upscaling is something that's often over-populised, I'd worry more about the approach each company takes when it comes to picture quality...and all round TVs.

Samsung models tend to favor crushing detail in HDR mode in the darkest and brightest parts of the picture, but a result of that is their TVs tend to have much better black uniformity which is really a boon if you are going to watch the TV in darkness. Samsung also have a more 'striking and vivid' picture, with better brightness which can make for impressive HDR.

On the other hand, Sony have an approach that favours picture accuracy more. Shadow detail is better because they don't crush blacks so much and highlights can be preserved according to the original master intent. The downside is that Sony TVs like the XH95 have worse black uniformity and make for harder watching in the dark.

These points are only really valid for HDR though, for SDR dark room performance on both TVs will be fine.
Other differences come with connectivity and smart TV. The Samsung has a single HDMI 2.1 port, whilst the Sony runs with 4x HDMI 2.0. In that respect the Samsung is a little more future proof - not sure this matters though if you aren't a gamer.

Smart TV is different too, Sony uses Android TV which is still a bit clunky in my opinion. Samsung run Tizen which is faster.

Overall I'd say the Samusng has the edge provided you understand that upscaling lower quality material will look worse. Typically you'd compare the Sony ZH9/Z9H to the Samsung rather than the XH9505 which instead is more commonly compared to the 4k Q90T/Q95T.
Thank you very much for your super detailed reply.
I know I should compare 8k Sony model with the Samsung Q800, but I was not thinking about a 8k model. I taken in consideration only because there is a super promo here in Italy, and they have the same price now. Usually 8k models are really expensive here.
So I didn’t know what to do, thinking at my use of the tv as I told you...

Ah probably I forgotten to tell you an important detail. The tv I have to change now is a 75”. A Samsung 75Q9
I was looking for a bigger tv possibly making a step forward in picture quality.
And there are no big Oled at similar price unfortunately at the moment...

Dodgexander

Which Q9? FN? 0R? 0T?

There's nothing impressive about 8k itself, its the other parts of the TV that make a TV good other than the resolution. The Q800T is actually a little better overall the Q90T with local dimming, so its a step up really for the Q90T/ Sony XH95.

If however you have a preference for lower than 4k sources, or you prefer picture accuracy and motion above all else, go for the Sony XH95.

Rabo1234

Hi guys
Please help me to choose.
I found at the same price, new, these two models.
I watch 1080p and 4K film and tv series. Sat, streaming and mkv. Nothing else.

Which tv do you think have the best picture quality?
Considering also Sony was the flagship 4K model of 2020 and it’s a 85” versus 82” of Samsung. But it’s a 8k model. Better panel? Better upscaling?

I like also Sony support Dolby Vision...
Thanks a lot for helping me to make the right choice.
What tv did you ens up with? Im hoping the q800t 82” since it packes 480 zones compares to the 60-80 on the x950h

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom