Please HELP - Recording Sky+ Programme To Desktop PC DVD/R Drive

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by roper999, Oct 19, 2005.

1. roper999

roper999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I would really appreciate some help from you guys/gals regarding this.

I recently recorded the Horse Show of The Year on Sky Sports via my Sky+ planner. It is taking up over 3 hours of the hard disk so I am wanting to put it onto DVD so my Wife can keep it, and also I can free up space on the hard disk.

I understand that this can easily be done by a VHS recorder. Unfortunately we no longer have a VHS recorder as the last one broke and instead of buying a new one we uprgaded to a Panasonic DVD Recorder which unfortunately broke about 1 month after the guarantee ran out. So instead of paying another £400 for a DVD recorder we decided to get a sky+ box.

Anyway, my question is, is there any way that I can record the Horse of the Year Show to my PC's hard drive, so that I can use the DVD burner to burn it to disc? I have the original Sky+ box and not the new double hard disk one, and I have looked at the back but there doesnt seem an obvious port I could use to transfer the data to my pc.

I telephoned Sky+ but the lady there didnt really know, and asked someone else, and apparently it can be done using a USB cable but she couldnt tell me anymore.

Any help would be most appreciated, and be rewarded with big amounts of Karma :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance

2. BoomAM

BoomAM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im no expert on how the Sky+ boxes work, nor what file system they use, but couldnt you just remove the HDD from it, connect it to a PC, transfer it across, and put it back in?

3. Sid and Coke

Sid and Coke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello My Sky+ (Pace V2) has an S-Video mini din socket plus two audio outs. I've just bought a USB video capure device off e-buyer and hope to be able to do just what you are hoping to do.
    I'll let you know how i get on with it, just waiting for a couple of hook-up cables to arrive via e-bay, as my computer and the Sky+ box are in different rooms. If everything works fine i'll just leave it all hooked up for future use. Here are some links:
    USB video capture device
    Link to E-Buyer product page

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    You can't do that. The data on the Sky+ hard disk is the incoming digital bitstream, which has to be played out through the decoder in the Sky+ box. To record from a Sky+ box to a PC requires some sort of video capture card - unfortunately most laptop PC's do not incorporate such a card, neither are they fast enough to do the "number crunching" required for video capture. A USB capture device might work, but probably only if it does the processing, and doesn't rely too heavily on the CPU of the laptop.

5. BoomAM

BoomAM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As i said: 'Im no expert on how the Sky+ boxes work...' ;) :D

6. roper999

roper999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya,

Just a quick reply to say thanks for the help, it is most appreciated.:)

Kind regards all