1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help recommend Home Cinema Sound Setup

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by shopper150, Dec 28, 2002.

1. shopper150

shopper150

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I dont know too much about home cinema sound systems - so am looking for some advice.

My current setup is:

TV - Toshiba 46WH08
    DVD - Toshiba SD100

At the moment the sound is pretty kak!
    So I am looking for a sound setup - but am not quite sure what I need.

I want speakers that look nice/small/discrete. Ideally a Bose Lifestlye system would be lovely - but way too expensive.

So what do I need?

I've seen these mission speakers that look very nice!

Is it possible to have both Dolby Digital and DTS with the same setup?

I think I need an AV receiver - does this mean I dont need an amp? Does the AV receiver do the job of the amp?

As I said I dont know about home cinema sound setups so please be patient with me!

Cheers!

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Ivor_Monkey

Ivor_Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can answer some of the simple questions.

First, you need to decide on your budget and whether you like the idea of upgrading gradually in the future or whether you think the system you choose now will last for a good few years unchanged. The all in one systems (Sony Dav etc) are small and give a decent setup (speakers. sub, rec) for about £600. BUt they do not offer great sound compared with a separate system and do not allow gradual upgrading. Generally in the world of home cinema, small gives less good sound. But no sane person should be expected to live their live in an accoustically perfect environment. Compromises have to be made, unless you want to be a total anorak.

Second, (assuming you want to go for separates) you need to decide whether you want an amp or a receiver (the latter combines an amp with a tuner). I prefer a receiver because I like listenig to radio 3 or 4 (teehee). It is odd because I could pick the stations up on cable etc and play then through the speaker set up.

Third, you need to decide on your speaker set up. The 3 front speakers are very important -especially the centre one for speech in films - and should be of the same brand. Cheap subs are not worth the money, so spend your money on something else. For surround sound you will need 2 rear speakers.

Fourth, don't forget cables cost a lot of money.

Fifth, do some reading.

I hope this helps.

4. shopper150

shopper150

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks for the replies so far.

My budget is about £500 but could stretch to £600-650 MAYBE!

I would like to achieve a 5.1 system that does Dolby Digital/DTS/Prologic

I would also like to be able to play music / cds and possibly radio using the system. A spare input for mp3 via laptop would also be nice!

I think seperates would be best so that I can upgrade in the future!

So what sort of "hardware" would you guys recommend?
    I prefer "lifestlye" equipement - basically stuff that looks nice!

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    You're obviously not expecting to make friends here with ridiculous statements like that.

6. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi, I have a Toshiba 40WHO8 rear pro set, is the 46" version not dolby digital like the 40"? I binned the rear Tosh speakers that came with mine and bought a decent set of surround sound speakers (front and rears), along with an active subwoofer. I know it's never going to compare to good quality seperates, but the sound from my Tosh isn't at all bad, I'm using a Tosh SD220 DVD player........(and it will have to do until she lets me get a plasma!)

7. shopper150

shopper150

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    My TV does Dolby Digital - but the rear speakers are crap.

I thought if I'm gonna buy new speakers, I might as well buy an AV recevier too (then I can have DTS also!).

What speakers did you buy?

8. harish_kini

harish_kini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kartik,

What you need is a Marantz 4200 (or Denon 1602) which is available for UKP 200 from RR. You can also buy KEF eggs for I guess 50 bucks each

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59852

If you hv some more money to spend, try MArantz 5300 (for 350 bucks) as it also has analogue inputs (for inputting fm SACD/DVD-A).

HK

9. Ivor_Monkey

Ivor_Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your say:
    I prefer "lifestlye" equipement - basically stuff that looks nice!

As I say, you will need to accept compromises and the first one is likely to be that if you go with "nice looking" equipment like Bose you will get less good sound than a considerably less expensive system. If you search on this site you will see a lot of critical comment about Bose. But remember that it is possible to find good compact speakers (B&W?) which do not dominate the room.

I guess some people want an invisible system that give reasonable sound. Some others seem to want a system that jumps out and shouts "look at me". Others just want the gear and sound to fit the room very well. It depends on your preferences.