1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help! RE Lamp Prob!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by liteonit, Nov 28, 2003.

1. liteonit

liteonit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My Dad uses a Toshiba TLP B2 xga lcd projector in his Job. (self-employed)
    In the last Month or 2 the brightness of the projected image has seriously decreased!
    Does this mean the lamp is almost dead or could it be something else. He doesnt want to buy a lamp for no reason. He bought it second hand and the lamp life warning doesnt come on when started up, but I suppose that could have been reset on purpose. Please help.

Many Thanks
    :(

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    It seems unlikely that a lamp would suddenly lose a significant amount of its brightness. True, they gradually dim over time (down to, say 80 or 70% of the original, before dying completely).

More likely is that somehow - perhaps due to something someone did, or a power surge, that some setting (eg contrast) has got altered. That would be the first place I'd look.

3. liteonit

liteonit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks,

I checked those settings but they are fine. When we got the projecter about 5 months ago the image was really bright, but now is only watchable in very dark rooms. I have just been reading on the net that when a bulb gets near its end its output really drops off. Can anybody confirm this?

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    How many hours on the lamp and how many when you bought it? I wonder if it had done a lot of hours and had been reset to zero before you bought it. They do dim a lot as thet get older, and the colour can change too. Would you say the colours seem any different now?

Gary.

5. liteonit

liteonit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes the colours do have an off colour taint...

Must be the lamp then.....:eek:

6. PeterV

PeterV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will definitely be the lamp.

Have you been powering the unit down properly?

If it is not put into standby mode and the fan allowed to run until it stops of its own accord, you can significantly reduce lamp life.

7. Ricco

Ricco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not knowing the history of this model but:

Does this unit have a lamp reset counter? Older model projectors do not have this function, this could therefore indicate as everyone else has said, the lamp is almost dead.

Another point to consider is that the LCD panels or optics have come to the end of there life and might need replacing.

If the replacement lamp doesn't work, you might have to see a Tosh repair agent.

Best of luck, and hope it's the lamp.