Please help! re connecting Wii to Yamaha RX-V630RDS

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by mcginr, Feb 8, 2009.

1. mcginr

mcginr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, my girlfriend just bought me a Wii for our anniversary but I can't get it to work! I've followed the instructions to the letter, have tried connecting the cables to any of the input holes on the Yamaha RX-V630RDS and then checked all of the input channels but I can't get any display on any of them. Can someone please help, I have searched for this problem online but no-one seems to have ever mentioned a Yamaha RX-V630RDS in the same breath as Wii before!
    thanks in advance for your help

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Well if you've only got the standard composite cable with two audio phonos, connect the wii to the composite input and 2 audio inputs at the back of the receiver and make sure you have a composite cable going from the receiver to the television. Alternatively if you have the component cable, connect that to one of the component inputs at the back of the receiver and also again to audio phonos and again make sure you have a component lead going from the receiver to the televisions component socket.

Make sure you have component connections going into component and not confusing video and audio cables. A component cable has 5 plugs, 3 for video and 2 for audio.

Do not confuse composite with component they are different signal types.

If you mentioned what television it is, it might help. You could always connect the wii directly to the television just to test it works.

The wii doesn't do 5.1 output it only has 2 channel output so can not make use of optical or coaxial type digital connections. It uses standard 2 channel stereo phono leads only.

3. tigandken

tigandken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You'll see from my sig that I've got the 530, which is pretty similar.

In basic terms, you've got to connect the red and white phono leads to the red and white terminals on the amp, then switch the amp to the right input to hear the sound.

If you're using the (lowest quality) composite cables (Red/White/Yellow) it's easy - the yellow goes to the TV (possibly via a scart plug), the red and white to the amp. Since amp and TV are in different places, you might need a phono extension cable (but see "switching" below)

If you've got the component Wii cable (highest quality video signal), irritatingly two the 5 leads are red - one is a video signal, one audio. Just a matter of working out which one. Same applies for amp & TV in different places,

If you're using an RGB scart (moderate quality) that hasn't got red and white phono leads, then you don't have red/white audio split out straight away. You can use the TV to do this and then you can take the audio signal from the TV back into the amp; simply find the Red/White audio out on your TV, and find some phono wires to connect these to the amp.

Finally, if you want to use the full function of your amp (I don't bother) it can be used as a switching device, provided you either have a component or composite cable. Hook up white/red audio in same way; then hook up video from Wii to the approrpriate video in on the amp (yellow sockets or the red/blue/green sockets), then you'll need another cable to go from your amp video out to your TV.

Hope that makes sense.

Don't forget once it's all together to set the "surround" (rather than "stereo") option in the Wii menu to get the full benefit of 5.1 sound (though you'll still get a few surround sound effects if you don't).

4. tigandken

tigandken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sorry - should have read the post.

The amp won't show anything in particular (i.e. it doesn't change display with an analgoue input in the same way it does with an optical 5.1 or DTS signal).

If you're getting sound out of it, it is working as it should. Then just set the Wii to output surround sound and you're set up with 5.1.