1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help !! Radeon 9000 and HCPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Insp.Gadget, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm hoping someone can help me before I re-decorate the lounge with the insides of my PC and PJ ! I'm trying to get it all working and know I'm doing some silly things wrong - could one of you guys (or girls - Julia !) answer me a few questions as I've found no joy using the search. What I'm using is as follows:

HCPC - Sapphire Radeon 9000 Atlantis G/fx card. VGA to AG Neovo TFT screen, DVI-D to Panasonic AE300. Win XP. Powerstrip

1. In Display properties, how do I have the displays set-up - obviously the TFT should be set to be the primary display, but should the DVI out/TV out be a clone of the primary screen or should the desktop be extended onto it ? I can get WinDVD to play on the projector (when the desktop is extended onto it), but as soon as I maximise it, the screen goes black. I think it's to do with the overlay options but I can't seem to fix it.

2. When you're using the projector do you still have your monitor set at a useable resolution or do you disable it completely ?

3. If I just want to have the resolution on the PJ set to 1024*768, do I need to use Powerstrip at all ? I can't find the Powerstrip settings for this resolution anywhere so I've assumed that people are just using the windows settings for this.

4 Finally why does the second connected device always take precedence over the primary monitor when booting ? For example when I have S-Video connected to the TV and the TV switched on, the screen is perfect on the TV, but the monitor goes shaky and complains of being out of range until it actually gets into Windows at which point it will sort it self out. Do you think the drivers need re-installing ?

Sorry for the questions which I'm sure are second nature to most of you, but I would really appreciate any help, even a few words on each point would probably steer me in the right direction.

Thanks
    Greg

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    1. You should use clone display but an overlay (ie dvd or dscaler) only appears on the primary monitor so I use hot keys to swap the different outputs to become the primary.

2. The radeon cards only allow the res to be the same on both outputs. My HS10 at 1368*768 means the tft scrolls at the same res.

3. No

4. Not noticed that one.

3. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the replies John, I was nearly there (I was using hotkeys for the S-Video output but not the DVI). I'll have a bash tonight.

I wasn't aware you couldnt have different res on each display with the radeons, what cards out there allow this do you know ?

Cheers

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The radeons only allow it if you stretch the deons are best for esktop across monitors, not sure about anything else.

Radeons are best for a HTPC by a long shot though.

The latest cat 3.4 and maybe cat 3.5 (but I havent tried the latter yet) give a visible overlay at full screen on a secondary monitor but I dont think they are as stable as the earlier ones I've gone back to.