Please help question about 100Hz technology and the Samsung LE37A616

N

niceguyjason

Hi everyone I am at my wits end.
I want to upgrade my tv but have a limited budget i was considering either the LE37A616 or the LE37A656 as the LE37A616 is cheaper and i have a limited budget i was considering that but what i really wanted in my new tv was the 100Hz technology. Unfortunately threads have said the LE37A616 has this technology, some shopping websites do some don't. Unfortunately samsung are unhelpful so was wondering if anyone who actually owns a samsung LE37A616 can tell me if it has 100Hz technology and while i am asking is it a good tv? My budget is at most 650 soo if there are any other tvs with 100Hz and full HD let me know
Please help because want to get it ordered for christmas
thankyou :lease:

what i really wanted in my new tv was the 100Hz technology.

Please bear with me here for a minute , can I ask why ?

This tech in new flat screens is badly named , its badly named because its a carry over from CRT screens where it meant a totally different thing and where it actually did some good.

On a CRT screen 100hz double the scan rate of the electron gun and this reduced flicker , it worked very very well and it was a good thing in the land of CRT's.

This name has been carried over to flat panels and is being used to describe an interpolation routine going on with flat panels.
Flat panels show progressive images only , meaning they dont have a scan rate and they dont have flicker , what this badly named tech is trying to do on flat screens is make up for a slow image refresh that causes movement judder and in the vast majority of cases it does not work. It tries to guess where the movement will be between two successive frames and adds in content to smooth movement. As with any digital imaging technology , interpolation is bad , and you are better off without it.

In its worst implementations , it actually causes some false movement on screen , like " dead people opening their eyes on CSI " which is one of the more well known failures of this tech.

There are many reviews about this tech , and most agree that the best thing about this feature is that you can turn it off.

Theres even one review that says so on here.

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Panasonic-TH-42PZ81-42inch-full-HD-Freesat-plasma-TV-review.html

Note: Panasonic call theirs " intelligent frame creation " , Samsung call theirs " 100 hz motion plus ,

Quote from the samsung site here ...

Samsung offers LCD TVs with 100Hz Motion Plus:

100Hz Motion Plus is available on selected conventional backlight LCD TVs.

Using the Auto Motion Plus 120Hz processor, Auto Motion Plus increases the frame rate by intelligently calculating the ‘middle' image between frame A and frame B, and then inserting it between the two, making a fluid transition from one frame to the next.

Motion blur artifact is virtually eliminated.

Dont put too much buying weight on 100hz tech for flat screens , most sets are better off without it.

Last edited:
Please bear with me here for a minute , can I ask why ?

This tech in new flat screens is badly named , its badly named because its a carry over from CRT screens where it meant a totally different thing and where it actually did some good.

On a CRT screen 100hz double the scan rate of the electron gun and this reduced flicker , it worked very very well and it was a good thing in the land of CRT's.

Yep - good in theory - fatally flawed in reality as even the best 100Hz processing for CRTs fell to bits. (Broadcast kit to do the same thing is still not perfect and costs tens of thousands and is the size of a standard PC)

It DID reduce large area flicker - a problem on larger screens - but it was terribly flawed on fast motion. (Most implementations smeared to hide the failings on fast motion)

This name has been carried over to flat panels and is being used to describe an interpolation routine going on with flat panels.

Yep - to attempt hid the sample-hold issues on flat panels. The implementation has improved - but not enough.

Flat panels show progressive images only , meaning they dont have a scan rate and they dont have flicker , what this badly named tech is trying to do on flat screens is make up for a slow image refresh that causes movement judder and in the vast majority of cases it does not work.
Flicker I agree is not a major issue with continuously backlit LCDs - though it can be with those that use backlights that are pulsed (to fake a better image response)

I don't agree that LCDs don't have a scan rate. They do. There is still a frame refresh rate to take into account.

Progressive vs Interlaced has nothing to do with scan rate. CRTs can be progressive (as CRT projector and PC CRT monitor owners will attest!)

It tries to guess where the movement will be between two successive frames and adds in content to smooth movement. As with any digital imaging technology , interpolation is bad , and you are better off without it.

Totally agree.

The most obvious demo of this is taking a 24/25p source of fast motion with temporal aliasing (train or carriage wheels going backwards rather than forwards is an obvious example) If you interpolate this the wheels just go backwards more smoothly. If you shot at a higher frame rate you'd see them go forwards...

In its worst implementations , it actually causes some false movement on screen , like " dead people opening their eyes on CSI " which is one of the more well known failures of this tech.

Yep - break-up on action scenes, bits of faces moving in the wrong direction, multiple balls in tennis/golf etc. - all classic "falling apart" issues.

There are many reviews about this tech , and most agree that the best thing about this feature is that you can turn it off.

Dont put too much buying weight on 100hz tech for flat screens , most sets are better off without it.

Couldn't agree more. I specifically bought a 50Hz set with 24p compatibility (as removing 3:2 IS important to me) to avoid it... Some 100Hz sets with the interpolation disabled - and thus just 50p with frame repetition - do a good job on motion - though the sample+hold issue is still present.

Thanks for the indepth answer i think i got swept away with a demo which i saw in a shop which showed 100hz running and made movies look like real life that is not for everyone but i thought it looked amazing. Perhaps not

Hi all,

I've just received a Samsung LE40A686 this weekend (my first non-CRT TV), and very nice it is too.

This TV has 100Hz Motion Plus, which I thought would be a good thing. However I cannot see any difference when its on or off. Even with the split-screen demo mode on I cannot tell any discernable difference between the two halfs of the screen (one showing 100Hz on, the other off), even when watching football which is supposed to be one of the main applications of this technology.

So, is this because 100Hz technology actually makes no difference, or is my set not working correctly?

Any advice will be very welcome. Thank you and kind regards to all.

I was considering getting a Panasonic 32LXD85,because of what I'd heard about smearing. I'm not a footie fan, so will I be a victim of that phenomenon much with 50Hz

Flicker I agree is not a major issue with continuously backlit LCDs - though it can be with those that use backlights that are pulsed (to fake a better image response)
What sort of backlight do Pannys use?

All in all if the 100Hz is a waste for me, would a make other then Panny be a better buy? if I go 37" would opinions change?

I was thinking of going for a samsung LE32A616 specifically because of it's 100hz motion, so does it have 100hz or not didfferent sites say different things does anybody know for sure whether it has or not? Also I saw a demo in a shop where it showed a split screen and there was fast writing going accross the screen and it was hardly readable on the 50hz side but it was smooth and clear on the 100hz side, was this just a trick or does it do some good and is it worth the extra money? And would it make that difference when playing games.

Last edited:
I have Samsung LE40A686 and it doesn't make any difference to the picture smoothness.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom