1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help. Poor Sky Picture quality on 42PV500

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by aog, Jun 23, 2005.

1. aog

aog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone please help me as I am very dissapointed in the picture quality of my new PV500

I have a dual DVD/VHS player and a Sky+ box connected to my Plasma. Whilst I recognise that I might need to upgrade my DVD/VHS player, I am dissapointed with the picture quality of my sky. At the moment it is connected I have sky connected from the scart socket via a monster gold plated Scart cable to AV1 on the PV500.

I have also changed the settings on my sky plus to RGB.

I did not notice any difference at all when i changed from the original £4 scart cable i was using to connect to my PV500. And I mean absolutely no difference

I am sure I must be doing something wrong.

Can someone tell me the best way to connect your Sky+ box to the PV500 with advise on what to adjust on sky+ box. I would also like a recommendation on good DVD/VHS player (as i play a lot of video tapes)

I am desperate as i am absolutely not impressed with the current picture quality from Sky

2. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    When you demoed the screen was Sky being broadcast? Maybe its worth trying an S-video output just for info.

Maybe the sky box you have isn't the greatest and an upgrade there is required to match?

3. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    whats the actual problem with the picture? Colours/grain?

4. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    From my experience, if you're not absolutely knocked out by the SKY picture, there's something wrong. What are your settings in the Setup menus? Cinema mode; contrast and brightness at 30% or less? All the fancy stuff off? You're not actually going through the DVD player, are you - just straight from the SKY box to AV1?

As kamaran said - what are the issues with the picture?

5. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would try the following.

Make sure your sky box is set to 16:9
    Try the following set up.

Sky + >>>>>Av1
    Sky+ >>>>> Dvd/vhs
    DVD/vhs>>>Scart2
    DVD/vhs>>>> component

That way you can watch sky on component to see if picture improves although on my set up, scart is just as good.

JVC component leads for under £12 give a great picture !!!

I run this set up and my sky picture quality is very good, although I have not got sky + box.

6. aog

aog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually i have not changed any settings on the PV500 yet. I assumed it would be best to leave it at default settings. Is it true that plasma tv need to be running for 200 hrs before the quality becomes better. I have never quite undertood why this had to happen

I will try the setup indicated by greyhouse using component leads. Just to confirm where is this plugged in at the back of the pv500 (stupid question i am sure)

The actual problem with the picture quality is the quality of colours and the graphice .They do not look very clear and no where as clear as my old Philips widescreen TV especially when you ready any text on the plasma screen.

7. jedimaster1971

jedimaster1971
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just a guess but your sky RGB output may be cancelled out if its passed loopthrough via a non rgb scart VHS/DVD, hence the shimmer and shakey graphix or RF signal

jedi

8. jedimaster1971

jedimaster1971
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    select sky picture then on sky remote press

services

picture settings

then change the video output from RGB to PAL or Vise Versa you should see a definate change in outline of the small yellow arrows either side of the options ( it will make sense when in the menu i promise)

if there is no change then the RGB signal is not being passed it is plain composite via the scart, then check the routing of the scart cables with 1 lead staraight from sky to plasma then do above check again then introduce each scart cable in turn applying the same test each time and you will find the problem

9. kjibba

kjibba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you changed from Dynamic to Cinema or Normal mode on your PV500?
    For me that was the first and most important step towards the excellent PQ this screen is capable of.

Now if I could only manage to ignore that buzz...

10. Stokesey

Stokesey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Put Sky+ into AV4 on the plasma, I initially had mine plugged into AV1 but don't think this is RGB? Whatever AV4 has given me a better picture.. let me know how you get on...

11. aog

aog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I did exactly this last night and there was no difference between the 2. Honestly could not tell whether PAL or RGB was better. With the routing of the cables, I have one scart connected from Sky+ to av1 on the PV500. Then i have another connected from DVD to scart 2 on PV500. Are you saying this might affect PQ.

i will try it with just sky+ and PV500 alone and see if it makes any difference. I will also change from current default viewing to Normal or cinema mode. Not sure how much difference this will make make

12. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,525
    Is the Plasma showing RGB input top left hand corner, it should say RGB/AV1 when you change inputs.

13. Stokesey

Stokesey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My set-up is:
    Sky+ - AV4, I honestly did notice a difference when I moved it from AV1 and the difference between PAL and RGB is noticeable, I would just plug that in and see what happens..
    DVD - Component.

14. The Cleaner

The Cleaner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aog,

My Sky box has two Scart outputs, only one outputs RGB. If this is the case with yours make sure you are connecting the the correct one.

Regards,

Will

15. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    AV1 is definitely RGB so in theory it should give the same PQ as AV4 using RGB.

16. jedimaster1971

jedimaster1971
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    will try and put up some pictures of sky RGB v sky pal the difference is noticable, RGB is put out of the tv scart on sky boxes and not the vcr scart socket, rgb is rock solid and the pal has a shimmer on the little yellow arrows, i know as iu have been installing sky for 10 years now.........

pictures to follow guys i hope.....

jedi

17. aog

aog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, After changing the mode on my PV500 to cinema mode, i am now i am getting a pq close to what I was expecting. I can also see the difference between RGB and PAL

What I would now like to try is to ue component leads. My DVD does not appear to have any component inputs. Can i use a scart to component cable instead or will this diminish quality i.e scart on dvd/vhs to component input on PV500

Also what is the optimum balance in the picture settings on the PV500 to get the right amount of colour

Also is there any advantage of changing the piture format to 16.3 on the sky+ box

18. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Let me guess, looks pixellated around anything that moves.....em Sky box on Plasma. Can't match a good old CRT. Got to say particularly bad on PV500.

19. gur

gur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got my PV500 42" on Monday and to be perfectly honest I was expecting Sky and freeview for that matter to be fairly average PQ. In complete honesty not just hyping it it up the PQ on Sky is nothing short of breathtaking. Sky sports news which is a pixellated noisy mess at the best of times is even noise free and beautifully clear. The whole picture is very three dimensional.Previously had a 36" philips CRT which people always praised the PQ on and I cannot believe how much better the plasma is.

20. foz

foz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yeah the sky quility is a lot beter then i was expecting to for the most part.one thing about the writing not being very clear-make sure you switch on scart control on your sky box,asuming its on there its on sky+in services under rgb/pal-big difference.if your sky box does not have this the closest thing youll find is 3d comp on the plasma but that has some artifacts to so i turn it off

21. jbriddon

jbriddon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was also haiving slight problems with sky PQ especially watching wimbledon when the players were wearing white it looked a little noisy but after changing the 4 gang plug adapter to another one it sorted the problem out , giving a mega picture the only slight thing i can see now is on the sky banner that pops up the writing takes a split second to sharpen up ,can this be sorted out ? it doesn't seem to affect the picture though.

22. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What are you talking about? That particular pixelation happens on any god damn tv set no matter if its a CRT/Plasma or Projector and i have owned all three at some point. In fact that particular problem was worse on my 36 inch Sony CRT then my pv500. The pv500 noise reduction actually works well if you want to eliminate it to the point that its barely noticeable.

23. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I feel humbled

24. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  25. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If the SKY picture is not absolutely gob-smacking, and you've connected with decent quality scarts (to AV1, I'd suggest), and all settings are right, then either your SKY signal is poor, or your PV500 ain't right.

26. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hehe eddy, sorry bro. I think ppl just have different opinions on what a good picture consists of and differing between which is Sky's fault and which is the plasmas fault can be tricky. I think the edge enhancement that i have noticed is Skys fault but unfortunaly colour banding is the plasma's fault. All in all though i love the picture from sky through the pv500 but i could understand why people think the picture ain't good if that makes sense.

27. gur

gur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

SECONDED

28. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I hate to go on about the PV500 SKY picture like a love-struck teen, but if you have a decent signal and are watching a decent (high bandwidth) channel (CSI is a good test as it's almost always nightime) then you should see virtually NO colour banding, NO obvious edge enhancement, and very few artefacts of any description. If you only watch the Shopping Channel, then you deserve all the crap you get!

29. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sky+ does not have Component, only S-Video, RGB and Composite. I was not aware of any Sky box that has component, but willing to be educated.

The best quality comes from those V1 Sky+ boxes that have had a (very expensive) SDi digital connection modification to a scaler / video processor. The next best option also relies on a video processor / scaler. The RGB feed (RGBcvS) is very similar to Component, apart from the Sync signal - which can be fed to a suitable video processor via a separate lead. In effect you have a scart to component plus Sync lead (a scart plug at one end and the red, green, blue and Sync leads at the other end). Some people use an RGB to Component converter to help with socket issues. These converters are good, but they only change the signal, they do not improve it.

30. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Does that statement hold true even if you are not using a scaler?