• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

please HELP!!! please read!

A

azz4eva

please help peeps.i bought a amstrad sky+ drx 180 from one of them stalls in town. and when i plugged it in nothing happend.but the fuse is ok.and i have a seagate hardrive. my sky+ doesnt even turn on or the light dont even come on not even a flash. what do i have to do? is there something i have to press or hold or type a code to format it or format the hardrive through the pc? plz help.thnx really appreciate it

JayCee

Distinguished Member
azz4eva said:
please help peeps.i bought a amstrad sky+ drx 180 from one of them stalls in town. and when i plugged it in nothing happend.but the fuse is ok.and i have a seagate hardrive. my sky+ doesnt even turn on or the light dont even come on not even a flash. what do i have to do? is there something i have to press or hold or type a code to format it or format the hardrive through the pc? plz help.thnx really appreciate it

Take it back...it's obviously faulty.

FMC

Established Member
I think your screwed unless you can find the guy that sold you it.Either that or take it to bits and see if your getting a voltage out of the power supply and try and fix it.

A

azz4eva

how do i do that? just formatted the hd through my pc (ntfs) . should i have done that? and is there a way to conect the sky without the hd because the only way i can see is that it conects from the power supply to the hd then to the motherboard using a slave cable. i think it mite be the slave cables.what do you think? plz help.want my sky+ to work because never had one before

Nick_UK

Banned
The box should format its own drive, and the box power lights should come on, even if the drive is not formatted. No lights = serious problem with the box - take it back for a refund.

A

azz4eva

its quite strange because when i opened it and took the fuse out nothing happened when i plugged it in but when the fuse was in it gave a little shock everytime i plugged it in.is it the fuse? or do you think its the cables that connect from the power supply to the hd to the motherboard?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
azz4eva said:
its quite strange because when i opened it and took the fuse out nothing happened when i plugged it in but when the fuse was in it gave a little shock everytime i plugged it in.is it the fuse? or do you think its the cables that connect from the power supply to the hd to the motherboard?

I suggest you screw this together pronto before you seriously injure or kill yourself...:nono: there are high voltages present in this digibox and you obviously haven't a clue what you're doing.:lesson:
Other than replacing/upgrading the HDD there is nothing an amateur can "repair" in these digiboxes.:nono:

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
azz4eva said:
Put it down to experience and move on ...... those aren't the droids you're looking for.

Carl Stock

Established Member
azz4eva,

You had better put this box back together without touching its insides. It is possible to get an electric shock, possibly fatal, even when everything is unplugged. This is because many components inside can still hold an electrical charge for hours after being turned off.

As these types of boxes are actually computers, there is nothing that can be repaired. If the hard disk is faulty, then that could be replaced. However, it sounds like the box itself is faulty.

If you can, take it back – you do have some rights.

Regards,

Carl :)

A

azz4eva

yea i think your right.im going to give it back.but im keeping the hd for selling me faulty goods.lol. does anyone know where i can get a really cheap sky+ from? doesnt matter if its got no hd.because i got one.thnx u guys.

Carl Stock

Established Member
Whoops! My apologies! Doing too much at once! ;)

Hang on while I go and hide in that corner over there... ;)

I have my excuses... honest!

Carl :)

PS I have corrected it now! :)

A

azz4eva

i have had problems with sky over the past and dont want to go there again.i want to buy one off someone who pobably might sell it because there hd dont work or they dont need it anymore.or there are minor bugs etc.so if anyone is selling, then im willing to buy. my email is [email protected] by the way.thnx peeps you guys are great

Nick_UK

Banned
I suppose you're aware that the recording features of Sky+ will only work if you talk to Sky (and pay them £10 a month) ?

Nick_UK

Banned
Lots of people believe that because the highest voltage that you'll find in a PC is 12V (if you don't open the power supply), then the Sky box will be the same. I'm surprised azz4eva is still here, if he's been poking around in a Sky+ box with the power switched on, because the power supply in Sky boxes are not boxed up - they're on open printed circuit boards, with 240V on them.

A

azz4eva

Nick_UK said:
I suppose you're aware that the recording features of Sky+ will only work if you talk to Sky (and pay them £10 a month) ?
yea but my mate just bought a card off sky for 25 pounds and it works.so if you or anyone is selling.please let me know.thnx

rasb0

Established Member
azz4eva said:
its quite strange because when i opened it and took the fuse out nothing happened when i plugged it in but when the fuse was in it gave a little shock everytime i plugged it in

Frank Spencer springs to mind, or is it Homer, Doh.... Doh..... Doh... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Sorry mate, nothing personal.

Leave it alone for goodness sake:nono:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom