1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

please help plasma on false wall

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by andya, Sep 6, 2003.

1. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    just dont know what to do now have got a friend to cut out plaster board in my bedroom so i can get a wall bracket and hang my plasma with 100mm left right top bottom for ventilation.he was going to create a box which attached to the pieces of wood on the left and right and a piece in the middle of ply wood.only problem is with the ply wood plasma bracket and plasma the plasma will stick out 1 and a half inches,and am worried the wait will bring the plasma forward.with bracket it ways 36kg any help would be appreciated ive got conflicting reports from the guy who is doing the job and other people.if it is dangerous i could at a push cut out the plasterboard on the other side of the room it would mean i could get the plasma in flush but would leave a 1 and a half in bit sticking out in the living room what should i do.the pic attached is my bedroom if i cut though ill be going in to the livingroom

Attached Files:

• 3.gif
      3.gif
      Size:
      99.4 KB
      Views:
  2. JFDI

JFDI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure about the weight issue. Although the weight of the screen will be downward pressure I think you need a very heavy duty 'frame' in there. You might consider getting some metal into the frame to stop any flexing. You can use angle iron, although whenever I've need metal like this I've gone to a local scrapyard. You can pick up unusual mouldings very cheaply - often just what you need.

In terms of the plasma sticking out, why not bring the surrounding wall FORWARD? This shouldn't be difficult. You basically just need some wooden battens and plasterboard. If you can't do it yourself get a quote from a dry liner. I think I'd prefer this to going right through the other wall.

There is a bonus to my approach - you will be able to hide your cabling behind your 'new' wall.

The disadvantage is that your room will be about 2" smaller.

HTH

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You are obviously going to have to put something in there, as the bracket will no hang on 1 sheet of plasterboard, with the ends of the screws sticking out in the living room! Did one like this a few months ago, strength for strength metal is best, I would have it made. What you could do is have 2 strips possibly 5mm steel or so, vertical with a 90 degree bend at each end, to fit the height of the cutout. This presupposes the bottom horizontal wood can take the load, and isn't held in with a couple of rusty 2" nails.... That being so, the verticals are bolted to the plasma bracket, then screwed to the top and bottom, and carry on with your plan. Plasterboard has pluses and minuses, you can probably make a hole or 2 and feed all your cables thro' the wall to your gear, which is a major plus!