Please Help! Plasma Confusion, My first post :)

King007

Standard Member
Hello,

After browsing this forum I thought it is time to ask the fellow techies on the purchase of a plasma TV.

I am looking to spend a maximum of £1800 and it has to be 46" to a maximum 50".

These following TV's have caught my eye.

LG 50PC1DA 50" High Definition Digital Plasma TV

SAMSUNG PS50C7HDX 50" High Definition Digital Plasma Widescreen TV

SAMSUNG PS50Q96HD 50" HD Ready Digital Plasma TV

LG 50PY2R 50" High Definition Plasma TV

I want to connect my PS3, DVD, laptop etc. If there are any other recommendations of any other plasmas in the price range please let me know.

Please advise so I get can me plasma soon

Hope to hear from you soon:thumbsup:

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
What is "etc"?

You could easily clear a Panasonic PH9 50 inch for that, with an HDMI board for the PS3 and a component board for the DVD. Add an HDMI switcher for a hundred or so and you'd still have change.

Do you have a separate amp & speakers?

pjskel

Well, if I was spending £1800, right now it'd be a Pioneer 507XD.
If I was hedging my bets, then I'd be looking at the 50PX70 - saving £400 into the bargain.
If I was in no real immediate hurry, I'd hang off until June/July and watch the prices of the 50PZ700.
I'd also consider the PX700 at the end of this month, to see if the anti-reflective coating is worth having.
Bottom line - I wouldn't put £1800 into an LG and most definitely not a Samsung, no matter what ANYONE says. I've seen their LCD TVs - and their tuners are woeful.
I've only seen the 42" LGs doing HD, and it looks respectable, especially for the £799 Currys were knocking it out for the other week (if not still).

As mentioned above, the PH9 pro monitor is very nicely priced so long as you've separate tuner and audio facilities.

King007

Standard Member
Wow...

Thanks for your quick replies....

Well I want to connect in detail:

PS3
MY DVD player
Sky Digital Normal Decoder
Pioneer 5.1 amplifier

I was thinking that if I buy the LG 50PC1DA TV, I was given the following deal:

5.1 LG Soundsystem
HDMI Component Cable
Plasma Wall Bracket
5 Years warranty
Installation

all for £1700....

I thought this was a good deal but now from your advice its not looking as good as I thought. :eek:

King007

Standard Member
btw I wish for these to be included in the purchase for £1800

5.1 LG Soundsystem
HDMI Component Cable
Plasma Wall Bracket
5 Years warranty
Installation

lol..I know Im asking for a bit too much lol...Oh well

pjskel

Not the impression I got from you in the thread I opened on the Pio the other day:confused:

Is it not?
I'll need to read your post and my reply to see why you're confused.
I've always thought the Pioneer 507 is a brilliant TV - but with the aggressive pricing of Panasonic on their new PX70, it's hard not to look in their direction for a couple of reasons.
Not that the Pioneer is perfect - but then neither is the Panasonic.
IIRC, I think I slated the Pio's VGA since it only does 60Hz at native rez - further specs for the Panny have recently been released, showing it to be the same. So that point is now moot.
The Panny is supposed to have better black level, or at least is on a par with the Pioneer, but the Pio has a better DBV-T tuner for Freeview use.

Things are now slightly compounded by the fact there are 100Hz Pannys in Europe, which may be worth considering - but not everyone is happy to import, for various good reasons, so that's why I left them out of the equation. They're in the ballpark as well from what I can see.

Just had a look at the thread - I'm not sure I see where the confusion arises, but you were talking about spending £2K on the Pioneer from Comet (even though you know it's £200 less elsewhere), so my comparison to the PX70 results in a £700 difference. That's quite a bit different over the PX700 at £1400 vs £1800.
Still not an amount to be sniffed at, but less of a marked difference.
Hope that clarifies things better.

pjskel

btw I wish for these to be included in the purchase for £1800

5.1 LG Soundsystem
HDMI Component Cable
Plasma Wall Bracket
5 Years warranty
Installation

lol..I know Im asking for a bit too much lol...Oh well

What you need to do is research the price of the TV on its own, then see how much those are costing you.
The HDMI cable is probably a cheap and cheerful one - £10-12
The wall bracket - £50-60 probably
5 year warranty - sounds like it's John Lewis. The SOGA (sale of goods act) is your 5/6 year warranty in law (in effect)
Installation - I'm sure you can manage to drill and screw the bracket to the wall, and hang TV on bracket with friend/family's help.
LG surround system - if you know the model, you can check the price.

Bottom line is that the Pio and Panny are a fair bit better than the LG, so instead of bulking up on lesser quality, spend the necessary on either and then add a 5.1 system of your choice at the same time or a bit later.
If you are going down the 5.1 route, then the likes of the PH9 certainly makes plenty of sense as you'll not have speakers that'll be redundant. Similarly the Pio - no need to buy the under/side mount speakers.

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
Wow...

Thanks for your quick replies....

Well I want to connect in detail:

PS3
MY DVD player
Sky Digital Normal Decoder
Pioneer 5.1 amplifier

I was thinking that if I buy the LG 50PC1DA TV, I was given the following deal:

5.1 LG Soundsystem
HDMI Component Cable
Plasma Wall Bracket
5 Years warranty
Installation

all for £1700....

I thought this was a good deal but now from your advice its not looking as good as I thought. :eek:

I don't think that's a great deal
the TV is under a grand if I remember correctly
the cable is worth £5
the "soundsystem" is probably worthless frankly (didn't you say you had a Pioneer 5.1 amp?)
A bracket is about £70

Installation... what have they agreed to include?

Didn't you say you had a laptop?

Anyway
The PH9 is £1300. Far better than the LG in anyone's book.
HDMI board about £130 for the PS3
component board about £80 although RicherSounds were giving them away at £10 for a while!! for the DVD player, assuming it does component?
bracket £70
and my recommendation would be a £99 js-technology RGB-VGA adapter for Sky. That would take up the socket that would be the natural choice for the laptop though.

£1700.

PX70 and the Pioneer 507 also both got to be worth a look.

dalespitfire

Novice Member
Just had a look at the thread - I'm not sure I see where the confusion arises.

I said the purchase of the Pio would be a no brainer given the guarantee of a perfect set.....as a remember you were not quite so enthusiastic.

To be fair I'm only playing devil's advocate, you are making very good points and clearly know your onions:)

pjskel

I said the purchase of the Pio would be a no brainer given the guarantee of a perfect set.....as a remember you were not quite so enthusiastic.

To be fair I'm only playing devil's advocate, you are making very good points and clearly know your onions:)

:rotfl:

I know my potatoes as well - does that count for anything?

Maris Piper
Nicola
Carlingford
Colmo
Maris Bard
Pentland Javlin
Cara
Marfona
Wilja
Kerrs Pinks
Romano
King Edward
Sante
Maris Peer
Pentland Dell
Saxon
Nadine
Estima
Desiree

Waxy potatoes are firmer and hold their shape.
Floury potatoes are softer and break up more easily.

pjskel

That's really only a question you can answer, as you're the one having to find or justify the extra expense. It's easy for us to be glib and say "sure, why not?" since it's not our own money we're playing with.
If you can relatively easily afford to spend the extra, then you should as the PX70 improves on the PX60 in a number of areas.
But if you know for a fact you won't be entertaining any 1080p content in the timespan that you'll own this TV, then it's only the purple snake issue that's of any concern - not whether the TV can handle a 1080p signal or not.
Of course, silver vs black is maybe another aspect that'll affect your decision.

King007

Standard Member
:thumbsup:

pjskel and choddho2006 you are legends :thumbsup:

What it is I have now made my mind up and it will be between these 3 TV's.

SAMSUNG PS50Q7HDXXEU

Now what would you buy if u were in my position, btw budget has been restricted due to a holiday soon :rolleyes:

So the cheaper with the best features for money

Sorry about my Qs...

F

Fonz04

:thumbsup:

pjskel and choddho2006 you are legends :thumbsup:

SAMSUNG PS50Q7HDXXEU

Now what would you buy if u were in my position, btw budget has been restricted due to a holiday soon :rolleyes:

So the cheaper with the best features for money

Sorry about my Qs...
Hi,

I have just a bought a Samsung PS50Q7HD for £1056 from a company called 3AV and it looks great!

You can find it slightly cheaper elsewhere but i found that stock is always a problem and this company was recommended to me by a friend. definatly worth a look www.3av.co.uk

The only difference between the Q7 and the C7 is the finish - Matt or Piano Black. Thats it.

Good luck

CHFels

SAMSUNG PS50Q7HDXXEU

Guess King knows the C7 and Q7 are the same, since he said 3 TV's :D

But the Q96 may be a whole different ball game. Has anyone seen it in shops (or better, at home) yet? I am considering delaying my own plasma purchase until I have had a chance to see the new Samsungs in action. I know most on these forums think the Panasonics are better, but sooner or later the Koreans are bound to catch up . . .

CHFels

pjskel

King, I don't rate Samsung TVs, but then I haven't seen their Plasmas doing SD yet.
Similarly, LG - only seen the ones Currys had on the LG wall, all doing reasonable, if not very pleasant HD.
But then at £799 for a 42"er, it was a case of DFR (do 'fine' rightly).
Either postpone until after the holiday, or raid the kids' piggy bank for the extra to get the Panny.
They'll love you all the same, if not more for making the right decision.
Besides, they can always do gardens and car washes to earn their money back.

QBoy

Standard Member
But the Q96 may be a whole different ball game. Has anyone seen it in shops (or better, at home) yet? I am considering delaying my own plasma purchase until I have had a chance to see the new Samsungs in action. I know most on these forums think the Panasonics are better, but sooner or later the Koreans are bound to catch up . . .

CHFels

Hi CHFels, had a quick look yesterday, looks similar to PS50Q7HD (black glossy) but with hidden speakers, 3 HDMIs - two at back, one at side. 2 Sacrts. freeview tennis looked OK, going to look into this further (single HDMI on PS50Q7HD was off putting).
QBoy

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Audeze introduces reference LCD-5 planar magnetic headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Chord Electronics launches Anni desktop amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku announces new Streaming Stick 4K and OS 10.5
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components