1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help Plasma arrived lying down in delivery truck????

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Geoxis, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Geoxis

Geoxis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hello,

I just received my plasma screen today, and I always thought that they should be transported straight up....... This morning when the truck came with my plasma it was lying down in the truck :eek: . is that bad? Is there anything that I should do before to plug it??????

Please help guys as I have the telly unpacked and do not know what to do.....

2. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I am with you on this becuase I always thought the same that a plasma should be transported in the upright position.

Not sure why this is ? Is it to protect the glass ?

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's because the glass flexes when the truck goes over a bump, and it can crack the screen. If the screen hasn't cracked, you don't need to worry, but check it carefully, both the glass and the plastic safety screen.

4. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    So which fantastic company did you order your screen with?

I'll be sure to give them a miss!

5. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry about it - when you wall mount the plasma you have to put it face down (screen to the floor) on the floor anyhow

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,466
    Hello all

Not a Clue - I guess you have never had the dubious experience of being in the back of a delivery van :)

Laying a Display down to install video boards, wall mount fixings etc is one thing - rattling around in the back of a non air suspended delivery van is another matter.

I've seen lots of Display delivered flat and about 90% of them arrive intact - the other 10% suffer from cracks in the Plasma cell layer so you have a display that 'looks' OK on a quick visual inspection but look below the front surface (most displays other than the Pioneer XDE's have a protective front filter) and you'll see the actual pixel layer is trashed.

What to do when a courier delivers a Display on its back or front is something you need to discuss with your supplier before the kit arrives - I've found that no matter if you note on the delivery slip that the Display was delivered Flat you have no comeback with the courier company if you accept delivery; its often best to simply refuse delivery if you cant get through to your supplier on the phone whilst the courier is still at your house.

Then again I find it better (though more costly) to simply avoid using 'couriers' these days - its been a long time since we entrusted a Display to anyone other than a trained delivery driver with the correct vehicle and strapping systems.

Best regards

Joe

PS Geoxis - if your unsure what to do next call your supplier for guidance!

7. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sales pitch :rotfl:

8. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No not sales pitch, the man is a gent.

And hes helped hundreds of people to boot :)

9. athina

athina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keep us updated as I am ready to order from NOMATICA a Philips 37PF9830 for 3150 euros and I'm a little worried.
    I suppose these things are insured.....so what happens if the courier breaks it and you discover after you hook it up?. NOMATICA advised that I should return it for replacement immediatly.

10. da walrus

da walrus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    had they used to fit a tamper proof 'spirit level' to these boxes some time ago - and you were expected to reject delivery had the level triggered - thereby showing that they had been transproted, incorrectly, ie horizontally?

good luck in sorting it out.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,466
    Hello Not a Clue

Here's what happens if your own of the unlucky ones - http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180865&highlight=delivered+flat

As per my previous message if your having a Display delivered to you via a Courier ask your Supplier what Inspection/Delivery process you need to go through BEFORE the goods arrive.

We have a small 'collection' of Displays that various couriers trashed before they ever got near anyone's front door.

Tilt meters are a good idea - as it 'bulking' out the packaging around the Displays outer carton to try and ensure it cant fall over or be laid on its front or back.

Mostly problems occur when the Displays start to get transhipped from one van to the next through a couriers 'network' - I'm amazed at how few courier companies actually supply drivers with decent straps for tying kit to the side walls of their vans.

Best regards

Joe

12. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Makes u wonder how many problems stem from bad transportation

13. Geoxis

Geoxis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    hello guys,

I have checked carefully and it has nothing..... But anyway I have put on the delivery note htat it was delivered flat and that I did not receive the panel in good condition aha ha ha ah ah........

So if anything arrives in the next 28 days I could go back to them to say it was because of the delivery :D

But thanks anyway for all this help,

Geoxis

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,466
    Hello Geoxis

It sounds like your couriers got away with it this time - they generally arrive intact or trashed.

Best regards

Joe

15. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to hear it - providing they are not dropped or bounced around they should be ok :)