Please Help - Pioneer DV-868AVi

M

MarcoBiscotti

I was initially looking at the Pioneer Elite DV-59 as I want the best possible a/v playback I can get from a DVD unit and need the multi-channel audio outputs such as SACD, DVD-A, etc. The specs on this machine are absolutely perfect, except... I need to go multi-region!

I have searched the web extensively and have come upon the DV-868AVi from Pioneer which seems to be their UK variant on the Elite model, however it has universal playback functions.

Now my only concern is whether or not the DV-868 IS in actuality, the exact same as the 59 Elite model in every aspect?

It seems to have all the same features and connections... but what about a/v and build quality??

I am in Canada, NTSC, and therefore the majority of my discs are R1 though I do have a selection of import titles of foreign films and such.

I NEED optimal playback on both my R1 and R2-R3 DVD's!

I want the best possible picture quality attainable and I would like to know if I will run into any setbacks with the UK Pioneer model in comparisson to the Elite DV-59 when watching movies on my NTSC setup?

Basically, does this TRULY have capable multi-region capactiy and will it be at the cost or sacrifice of quality in any regards?

I want a high end player that will deliver the absolute best... If this UK variant will deliver that, and has true universal playback, than I will definitely opt for it!

Please let me know your suggestions/reccommendations...

I'd really appreciate your advice!!!

Marco,

Hope the following helps, I have the Pioneer 868AVi (4 weeks now), its NOT multi region out the box, but a £23.00 remote handset upgrade later it will play R1 and R2 like a dream. The build quality is second to none, very solid, I run mine through a Yamaha 750 amp and the sound is amazing. Sorry I cannot comment on the other model you quoted but I am very impressed with the Pioneer 868 player :thumbsup:

Hope that helps

Shane

shane515 said:
Marco,

Hope the following helps, I have the Pioneer 868AVi (4 weeks now), its NOT multi region out the box, but a £23.00 remote handset upgrade later it will play R1 and R2 like a dream. The build quality is second to none, very solid, I run mine through a Yamaha 750 amp and the sound is amazing. Sorry I cannot comment on the other model you quoted but I am very impressed with the Pioneer 868 player :thumbsup:

Hope that helps

Shane

This was touched upon recently - it seems that a lot of dealers have the factory handset, which they use to make the machines multi-region before they sell them. This didn't affect the price for me.

Someone mentioned this as I recently posted when I was surprised to discover that my 868AVI was multi-region out of the box when I bought it last June, and I can play both R1 and R2 discs on it.

Cheers,
Mat

The standard DV-868AVi is not multi-region out-of-the-box - you have to apply a hack via a programmable remote to enable the multi-region abilities (unless the supplier has already done this for you).

As the DV-868AVi can be hacked, I would have thought that the DV-59 would probably have the same ability in order to enable multi-region?

Thank you so much Shane, so it's up to par with the American Elite models?

Do you think the handset upgrades come standard with most online purchases?

Most e-tailers are billing this unit as a universal player so I assume it comes standard but I wasnt aware that it was actually a modified unit...

I guess I'm just generally weary about mods for higher end equipment but by your assurance, it doesn't sound like I need be for this player.

Thanks a lot Shane!!!

You've just made my decision much easier!

PS - Do you have any reliable online resources for purchasing w/ the universal upgrade?

(it's not just multi-region but NTSC capable as well, right?)

I've found the following online HT & electronics sites selling it, but am not farmiliar with any & want to make sure I purchase from a reliable source w/out overpaying...

www.soundandvisiononline.com

www.buyyourav.com

www.sselectricals.com

www.discountaudiovision.co.uk

www.ivojo.co.uk

I've also found one site offering the player with modified SDI output as well and am wondering if I should go with that or if there are any downsides to modifying such an expensive unit?

I might start a new thread about the SDI though, cause I have many questions...

Anyways, thanks again Shane!

Hi Marco.
I have the 868 and it's a great machine. It has all the connections you need including i-Link and HDMI. Mine came Multi region and plays all discs with no problem. It's well worth the money

Kier said:
The standard DV-868AVi is not multi-region out-of-the-box - you have to apply a hack via a programmable remote to enable the multi-region abilities (unless the supplier has already done this for you).

As the DV-868AVi can be hacked, I would have thought that the DV-59 would probably have the same ability in order to enable multi-region?

Kier, I haven't read nor found anything through Google that would enable multi-region on the American Elite model.

That would actually be premium choice but I have yet to find anything and have looked pretty extensively... do you know of any resources?

Would there be any difference eitherway if I were to go w/ the hacked 59AVi or 868AVi?

Like I mentioned, I just get nervous when it comes to modifying higher grade units and I imagine it would also effect the warranty through most legitemate retailers.

I'm also not all that farmiliar with NTSC playback on hacked UK players. Before my SERIOUS HT upgrade, I've had a JVC XV-SA602SL multi-coded player that worked great for what it was... but than I was watching movies on a regular 20" TV w/ the internal stereo speaers. It was also a US hacked player.

Would you think that modifying an Elite model would be a smart idea?

Should I just go with the 868 model UK variant and try to find an out-of-the-box universal functional player from an online distributor?

Marco

I used the following www.dvdchips.co.uk just e-mailed them my DVD Player model number etc etc and within 2 days had the '1 time use remote'. Took seconds :smashin:

As to the SDI up grade...something I have only briefly looked at I must admit, but then went for the Lumagen HDP instead !!

Good luck
Shane

BAN5HEE said:
Hi Marco.
I have the 868 and it's a great machine. It has all the connections you need including i-Link and HDMI. Mine came Multi region and plays all discs with no problem. It's well worth the money

Thanks BAN5HEE.

Are you in the UK or US/Canada (or elsewhere)?

:thumbsup:

shane515 said:
Marco

I used the following www.dvdchips.co.uk just e-mailed them my DVD Player model number etc etc and within 2 days had the '1 time use remote'. Took seconds :smashin:

As to the SDI up grade...something I have only briefly looked at I must admit, but then went for the Lumagen HDP instead !!

Good luck
Shane

Thanks Shane,

I'd be using an Iscan HD scaler w/ the SDI upgrade.

Here's how my basic video setup would look...

a Digital Projection Ivision HDX DLP projector with an Iscan HD scaler, the Pioneer DV868AVi-S universal multi-region player... and now I'd like to know if SDI output is reccommended for better picture quality with the above hardware?

I sort of understand the basics of it's function, to send a signal straight to the scaler with no D/A or A/D conversion which I guess would mean less artifacting, noise reduction and less edge enhancement, but I'd like someone to please verify that I have got the right idea...

I'd like to know if this would be of benefit, to whatever degree, in regards to video quality of my HT and whether purchasing a modified 868 Pio w/ SDI output, is really a smart thing to do?

I'm not a huge tech head and only have a very basic understanding of the rundown of all of this, so if someone could please explain in simple form, it would be really appreciated...

I'd just like to know exactly of what benefit SDI output would be with this player..

Marco

The 868AVi DVD player is here as multi region www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=2355 but thats in UK, poss not good for you :eek:

Sorry cannot comment on SDI options but there are many on here who can and will :smashin:

Shane

A word of caution on getting the DV-868AVi - it's designed to run on a 240v / 50Hz mains supply, and plugging it into US/Canadian power sockets could be very bad without some kind of transformer to provide the correct voltage and frequency.

I'll look around for multiregion hacks for the DV-59.

Thanks so much Kier, that's exactly the sort of issue I was concerned with!

If I could find the Elite model with a hack that would be sooo great!

(a shame since I liked the silver finnish on the 868 too! :))

Thanks for helping me avoid a major problem!

Please let me know what you find in the way of a hack for the 59-AVi

A 'universal' player usually refers to one that can play both DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD

Oh I see..

and that's amazing that you've found a moded unit... but would you really reccommend toying with the chipset on a 1k+ player?

Thanks so much for your help btw, it's really, really appreciated!!!

I read yesterday on this newsgroup that you can now pick up the 868AVi for £680 online. Bargain, considering it was £1000 when launched.

If you do a search on this forum you should be able to find the details.

Hey Marco,

I'm glad to know someone else is interested in importing electronics and isn't too put off by the various differences. In the future I'm planning to do this too - just the other way around, I'll be looking into importing an LCD TV from North America because they are more tailored to my needs.

FYI, just about any DVD player in the Europe will play NTSC. I've never run across one that hasn't, and that goes for extremely cheap budget models too. A friend in Canada who bought a player there however, got a "TV System does not match" message from his DVD player when I tried to send him a Regionless PAL disc. I think the reason for the fact that UK players will all play NTSC is that Japan is also Region 2 but uses NTSC, and for the DVD Player to carry the DVD Consortium's official DVD Video logo, it has to be capable of both formats.

I actually have the Pioneer 668AV multi-region which is one step down from what you're looking at (I think it leaves out the scaler). It's a very good player.

If you do ever want to buy the player and can't find anyone who'll ship it to you in Canada, message me and I'll probably be able to help - I send stuff over there quite a lot.

Thanks a lot Lyris, I appreciate the offer!

The only problem with importing the player however, is the fact that I'll have a problem running it through 120v outlets which are standard here in Canada. I'd have to look into a transformer which might be tricky and complicated... I really don't know anything about that.

There's so many things to consider!

Isn't the DV-868 a 120v/230v player so you would only need an adapter for the plug costing $10.00

Can anyone with a 868 confirm. DEtails should be in the manual as to wether the player is multi-voltage.

laser said:
Isn't the DV-868 a 120v/230v player so you would only need an adapter for the plug costing $10.00

Can anyone with a 868 confirm. DEtails should be in the manual as to wether the player is multi-voltage.

???

Anyone who has the player, could you please check... if so, that would really be great and pretty much solve all my problems!

It would certainly be cheaper than having to go through these guys... http://www.regionfreedvdplayers.com/regionfreedvd/pioneer_dv59avi.html :eek:

MarcoBiscotti said:
Thanks a lot Lyris, I appreciate the offer!

The only problem with importing the player however, is the fact that I'll have a problem running it through 120v outlets which are standard here in Canada. I'd have to look into a transformer which might be tricky and complicated... I really don't know anything about that.

There's so many things to consider!
Importing this sort of thing always seems ten times harder than it really is - three years ago I wouldn't have touched a North American games console because of the differing voltage and stories of people accidentally plugging them in and having them blow because of the higher voltage here. In reality if you know what to buy, it just isn't that complicated. Granted, a step-up transformer which you'd need is probably a little bigger than the step-downs I'd use for my US consoles, but it's a small inconvenience for getting such a good player with PAL DVD support.

Someone on here will definitely know exactly what kind of step-up product you need.

For the record, my 668 manual mentions 50/60hz 220-240v, so you'd need a transformer - but the 868 could well be different.

Well I just checked the following site and confirmed...

http://www.pioneer-eur.com/eur/product_detail.jsp?product_id=5848&taxonomy_id=62-84

Power Requirements: 220 - 240 V, 50/60 Hz :(

Lyris, I still dont think that would elminate playback issues such as PAL speedup though, would it?

It seems like a great player, and looks very sleek... but is it really worth it to buy a transformer when I could just go for the R1 Elite model and try for a chipset hack?

How big are transformers anyways, and what do they look like?

I'm not farmiliar with them at all, but I do have a limited ammount of space for all this hardware in the room.

On a slightly different note, what do you know about multi-system video converters?

I came accross this Tenlab TR-1000Pro which apparently converts source signals to any global region... NTSC, SECAM, PAL, etc...

Do you think with a modified all-region player (either the 59AVi or 868 though it's seeming less likely), my Digital Projection HDX w/ Iscan scaler and Stewart screen... I would benefit from something like this?

http://www.regionfreedvdplayers.com.../tr1000pro.html

Say I were to pop in my R2 UK Laurel & Hardy Collection which is obviously PAL sourced, and wanted to watch with my projector and multi-region player (assuming I can find the Pio Elite 59 in multi-region function)... would this eliminate issues like PAL speed-up, etc?

Should I consider it or is it unecessary?

PAL speed-up can't be eliminated too easily - it doesn't have much to do with the power. It's the way the discs are mastered - the MPEG-2 file on the disc runs at 25fps, to change it you'd have to reauthor the discs. So, PAL speed up is pretty much here to stay.

A hack of some sort would be much simpler - but make doubly sure that the player sold in the US is capable of playing back PAL video. Many aren't, regardless of the regional code.

As for multi-system video converters, these will only handled interlaced video as far as I'm aware. It would not eliminate PAL speed up. It would simply take a 576i 25fps signal and output it as a 480i 29.97fps one, creating motion artefacts in the process.

The size of the transformer also depends on how much voltage the player needs. All different sizes are on display here: http://www.220giftcenter.com/all-transformers.htm

Do you know if your display equipment can handle PAL video? If you have a scaler (which I don't know much about) I would imagine so. Can someone else advise?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom