1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help - Philips Service Menu

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Mr Cole, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Mr Cole

Mr Cole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Wanted to see if I could do anything with the geometry on my Philips 28PW6618 so got in to the service menu using 062596i+. To be honest I'm not 100% sure of what I'm doing so should have left well alone. Can anyone guide me in the right direction? Also, I now have a small box in the top right corner of my screen with SAM written in it and I don't know how to get rid of it!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I don't have the direct answer to your question (but you could try switching the tv off/on using the remote control - not the actual power on/off switch on the tv). However, have a look at this link :

http://home.tiscali.nl/m.majoor/tv__matchline_service_mode.htm

Looks to be full of information concerning a whole host of Philips sets - you could pose your question there - looks very knowledgable. Not for the faint hearted.

Regards, yt

3. Mr Cole

Mr Cole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks, I managed to get rid of the SAM by turning on and off. I haven't tried adjusting the geometry though, I seem to have 7 sets ranging from OP1 to OP7, I think these are the positions but don't know which does what as apposed to vertical/horizontal adjustments etc.
    Many thanks

4. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The OPx codes are not related to geometry but the option codes, basically telling the set what features are installed in it. You should not change those as that would alter the functionality of the set.

The geometry has other codes that are abbreviations of their functionality, such as EWP for East-West Parabola and so on. I don't know which chassis your TV uses, but it should be possible to determine from the product sticker on the back of the set. If your chassis is listed on the site red16v linked to, you should find a list of what options are available on your set, and possibly also what they do.

Setting up geometry requires some form of reliable test pattern (namely a crosshatch pattern) and that you know the fundamental geometry adjustments available and how they interact. It's basically the same as adjusting the geometry on a computer monitor, with the major difference being a TV is way more unruly and random.

You basically need to look at the exact geometry errors and figure out which settings you need to alter, step by step, to correct or reduce them. Adjusting the geometry is mostly about distributing errors equally across the image, and then correcting for them while keeping an eye on the center of the image to make sure it doesn't get distorted instead. You may also need to compromise so that the errors will be minimal at average contrast, since they usually can't be rid of entirely.